Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Footy lingo - especially for newbies

Brilliant Nico! Redolent with the history of the game. How long have you been following? Particularly liked: the Catholic, the Pentridge doctor and over the jam tin - none of which I have heard before.

Warming the Bench
    Is there an origin to the 'screamer' besides the roar of the crowds as someone takes a spectacular mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Brilliant Nico! Redolent with the history of the game. How long have you been following? Particularly liked: the Catholic, the Pentridge doctor and over the jam tin - none of which I have heard before.
    I reckon I have been watching footy for about 55 years. Many a great Saturday arvo spent at the Lake Oval. The banter was non stop. By the way I enjoyed going to Victoria Park. The Pies supporters were rough (yes missing teeth is not a myth) but always good for a laugh. Carlton supporters were the worst. Bertie Johnson from North was famous for a couple of kicking incidents. He was referred to as an Ankle Tapper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Is there an origin to the 'screamer' besides the roar of the crowds as someone takes a spectacular mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think screamer goes back a long way. A high mark was always referred to as screamer. Teaser took them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Blind Turn
    Like a Catholic outside the chemist shop

Got the pill but doesn't know what to do with it.
    Referring to the ball as "the pill" is a good one too.

Does anyone really know the meaning of Butters Up ???

Its trotted out by commentators regularly, and its stupid. It means nothing, except backup up. What has that got to do with butter?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post

Its trotted out by commentators regularly, and its stupid. It means nothing, except backup up. What has that got to do with butter?
    Did you ever see Last Tango In Paris?

I really hate the term "product" as in NSW product Callum Mills

I have no idea what this means but am even more confused after reading your post.

What about the expression "spiders on his back" - has anyone heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    What's ESSADEN ?
    Oh yeah. Especially when Essendon players say it like that. I just don't know how to feel. Happy, sad, angry...

Some terms from school footy.....

Chewy on ya boot! - When someone is taking a shot at goal it was said to make them look at their foot for chewing gum and put them off.

Miss miss cocky's piss - was said to also put them off, presumably to detract their mind from the task at hand and to think of a cocky relieving itself
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I always heard it used in terms of when a player (or a team mate) fumbles the ball and then the plate recovers it to play on

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post

Chewy on ya boot! - When someone is taking a shot at goal it was said to make them look at their foot for chewing gum and put them off.
    "Chewy on ya boot" is the dumbest saying ever I laugh every time I hear it. I wonder if anyone ever fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Both Skilton and Kelly were also plumbers by trade.
    Bobby Skilton did the plumbing on my cute little art-deco investment unit in South Melbourne. That was 20 years ago though. With his son as apprentice from memory.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast