Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Footy lingo - especially for newbies

Veterans List
    20 years ago! His son would have to have been the oldest apprentice of all time.

- - - Updated - - -

"Lucky it wasn't a bucket of s###." This refers to a player dropping an absolute sitter in front of his face. Ala Francis Jackson who was reputedly as blind as a bat.

- - - Updated - - -

"Couldn't catch his wife in the bedroom." Referred to a slow player.

- - - Updated - - -

"Stepping out of a tackle" Refers to players who are adept at blind turns and dodging.

Veterans List
    "As disliked as his mother in law." A player rumoured to be not well liked by his team mates.

The Crow Bar. This referred to the outstretched arm of Robbie McGie when he meet another player head on or when he ran with ball under his arm. Our group merely called him The Crow Bar.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Peter Bedford was called wheels because he was quick on his feet and adept at evading tackles.

- - - Updated - - -

"He wouldn't know if his arse was on fire." A player who didn't have much of a clue.

Veterans List
    "Ball". Is the shortened version of holding the ball. "Holding the effing ball" is the frustrated call of supporters when the opposition team continually holds the pill too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the ball has been referred to as the "knacker".

[QUOTE=Nico;714411
    I believe Peter Bedford was called wheels because he was quick on his feet and adept at evading tackles.

[[/QUOTE]

Bedford was called "Wheels" because of Bedford trucks.

And you really don't want to know what the acronym COAT, referring to a most unpopular team-mate, stands for.

Makes me think of the acronym FIGJAM that got applied to Nathan Buckley (and possibly others?): F*!k I'm Good, Just Ask Me.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Bedford was called "Wheels" because of Bedford trucks.
    Player who was quick and evasive was said to have a good set of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Player who was quick and evasive was said to have a good set of wheels.
    Yes, I can see how people would think that, but the fact is it came from Bedford trucks, which were everywhere in those years. Source: Torch McGee, who played with him.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, the phrase "good set of wheels" used in that way is a comparatively modern usage. It was unheard of in Bedford's era.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Yes, I can see how people would think that, but the fact is it came from Bedford trucks, which were everywhere in those years. Source: Torch McGee, who played with him.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, the phrase "good set of wheels" used in that way is a comparatively modern usage. It was unheard of in Bedford's era.
    It sure was said in those days. I guess it depends on what section of the ground you watched the footy at. I think there was a cultural difference at the Lake Oval between the outer wing and the "stand end" as we called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    "Chewy on ya boot" is the dumbest saying ever I laugh every time I hear it. I wonder if anyone ever fell for it.
    Thanks for this - I always thought 'chewy on ya boot' meant you'd hope the ball sticks to the foot enough that it misses, instead of having a clean strike of the ball

Great read guys!! actually learn't a lot as well which is a bonus!!! keep them coming

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Does anyone really know the meaning of Butters Up ???

Its trotted out by commentators regularly, and its stupid. It means nothing, except backup up. What has that got to do with butter?
    When one "Butters Up" he is making a second effort. We always said it but you just said as a matter of speech. I think it belongs to the pre/post war generation. My dad said it regularly.

The online dictionary says it means to flatter or to curry a favour. eg butter up to your dad to get something. Grease up could be another term. Comes from Old English. Funny how it found a different meaning when it comes to aussie rules.

Did I mention wooden hands. A player who couldn't hold his marks because he had hands like wood and couldn't get a feeling for the ball.
    Last edited by Nico; 26th November 2016 at 05:49 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast