Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Captaincy 2017 and beyond

I'm surprised that Macca is not considered as having a good year/been a good captain. He is perfectly placed. He speaks well (thats off field). He presents well (on and off field). He is a terrific organiser (that's on field). He may not be the top player but he knows how to sort things out, and quickly.

Kizz is good. I like him as a captain. He has proven to all that he can perform under outside duress of enormous size, and that it is possible to do so.

Gone are the days of Kell, much as I loved him. He considered being a captain was all about the coin toss. He said so. And he would lead by example on the ground. But could you imagine him at pressers? Or hauling someone aside and having a quiet word?

Not sure if Hanners would be good at this. Can't imagine Buddy would want the job, given the overwhelming publicity it would engender. An outside thought was Ramps, which surprised me initially, but after consideration I do believe he would be good. He has a word to any player, theirs or ours, if they are injured. He has an ability to encompass all. Yes, its a good thought.

Parker? Yes. I believe he would be good, but maybe a little manic to start with like Stuey was.
    But he is a smart man.

Joey, somehow no. Couldn't argue the toss one way or the other, it just doesn't feel to be a good idea.

Mills, yes. But not yet. That would be too much for the much older players to take, and hells bells, give the kid a chance to cement himself in.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Discussion of McVeigh standing down as captain is way too premature. His on field performance was marginally down this season, but that is mostly attributable to the change in his role. His performance as captain continues to be outstandingly professional both on and off the field. My reading (admittingly, between the lines) of what has been said over recent years is that McVeigh is captain for as long as he wants, and then Parker will take over.
    Jack may opt to stand down, given the stress from his family life, but his on field form has varied little during his captaincy. If he chooses to retain the captaincy, he's probably got it until it starts to seriously interfere with his form.

Warming the Bench
    I may be a little harsh but I think both current co-captain should stand down.
    McVeigh, despite his injuries this year, is not the player he used to be. I'm surprised he was retained as captain in 2016. He needs to be selected on merit next year, not because he's the captain. There's lots of talk about communication, off-field stuff, etc, but the real test of leadership is on the field. I didn't see much leadership from McVeigh in the GF. I think his legacy is already tarnished - staying captain in 2017 will only erode it further.
    Kizza - I think he has been great but now it's time to step aside while his legacy is intact. Like all players, his performances will start to decline over the next couple of years. I think he should relinquish the captaincy while he is at (or near) the top of his game.

So, who are the next captain(s). JPK is the obvious choice for me. He stood up when it mattered most and is highly respected throughout the club. Hanners to be vice-captain for the same reason. It's interesting to note that neither McVeigh or Kizza were sought out by the media after the GF. The media sought out JPK and Hanners. Was this because they are Victorians and the AFL media are xenophobic towards NSW guys? Or are they the natural leaders on the field?
    In the longer term - Luke Parker and Callum Mills stand out already. Nobody has mentioned George Hewett - I think he has captain written all over him.

Warming the Bench
    I don't think Jack should step down just because "his performances will start to decline over the next couple of years". Maybe McVeigh should step aside the way Goodes did at the end of his career, given that this is probably his last year and he may have to play a bit of NEAFL if younger players go past him.

On the Rookie List
    The only captain going forward is Heeney , proven leader at National 16/18's state team.
    Parker selfish , Mills not a leader.
    Make him VC next year with JPK captain , watch him grow then give him the full leadership and he's captain for the next 10 years.
    This kid will be bigger than Buddy, inspirational leader like Paul Kelly.
    Marketing dream, plays hard , no trouble , a true NSW boy.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun Tigers View Post
    Parker selfish ...
    Based on what?
    Big call on a footballer that regularly puts his body on the line for his team
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List
    May put his body on the line , not a team player, selfish in getting the ball and disposals , would rather clean up his own team mate going for the ball rather than protect his team mate, its called a shepherd in old football terms.
    His disposal % is crap.
    Roosy taught the academy to give it not try and beat the man , then get yourself in the a position to receive again. Heeney does this all the time maybe Parker and hanners should take a leaf out of his book

wow... Criticising a guy for getting the ball

Is this going to be a Barry McVeigh type deal..?

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    wow... Criticising a guy for getting the ball

Is this going to be a Barry McVeigh type deal..?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Although I don't agree with the criticism of Parker, it is worth noting that he led the club in frees against this year. I would guess that most of those were for HTB. It's one of the very few areas where he has some room for improvement. Parker wants to be like JPK and just break tackles at will, but is just not quite in that category yet.

I think McVeigh should relinquish the captaincy this year. Probably Hanners is next in line, and when Jack drops out then Parker gets his captaincy spot. I'm not sure if JPK would want the captaincy, but if he does, he would have to come into contention. Out of all the players in their mid twenties, I think Parker is the one certainty to become captain one day.

We really have a lot of leaders at the club and can see Heeney and Mills as future captains.

Harry Marsh and Brandon Jack were captains all season in the NEAFL 2016

you wouldn't rule out they were given this role as a pathway to snr football

who was captain of the neafl in 2015
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123