Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sammy Reid !!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Only half!!!!
    Yes I know Liz, I did want a whole lot more than half but I was just responding to the original quote :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veramex View Post
    I have time for Sam Reid. I kind of forget how he was with defensive pressure, how much did he play last year? It kind of feels like we haven't seen him for 2 full years now.
    Sam played almost every game in 2015 where he played almost every role and was influential, but none of course in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    If coaches and managers were so clever how come Tippo has not been found out?
    The only problem with Tippett is his salary

In a perfect world, with a fit Sam Reid, he would come in for XR I feel. He has very good versatility around the ground if need be, but he can play that role as a lead up forward.

Trying to keep him fit is another thing altogether sadly.... but fingers crossed he can get in a full pre-season and go from there
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    He needs an operation to straighten his goal kicking leg. Only way he will ever be a reliable kick for goal. Play him on the wing with the rest of the team. This will compliment his wonderful field kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by veramex View Post
    I have time for Sam Reid. I kind of forget how he was with defensive pressure, how much did he play last year? It kind of feels like we haven't seen him for 2 full years now.
    That's the perception problem when someone misses 12 months - a lot of people think it feels like a lot longer, and start labelling the player injury prone, is never out on the park etc etc.

2016 aside, he'd played 98 games in the prior 5 years - which isn't bad for a KPP who is still only 24 now.

I remember reading an article about 4 years ago where Sam Reid was hoping that year would be his break-out year after seeing Nat Fyfe breaking out the year before....yeah we're still waiting. Running out of patience with Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    He has very good versatility around the ground if need be, but he can play that role as a lead up forward.
    This is my concern with Sam. Whilst he does provide us with that versatility, IMO he is weak as a lead up forward as he drops a lot of marks with his hands out in front. I feel he is far more effective taking overhead marks deep in the forward line. But with the resting ruckman, we don't play the 2 or 3 key forward setup that well. We seem to play better with a more open forward line. So i then have questions about our structures with both Reid and Tippett playing.

Veterans List
    Same as when Tippett and X are playing......so Reid in for X shouldn't be a problem. That and when Tippett is back to his best he will be used mainly in the ruck anyway.

I've always had a somewhat redandwhite controversial understanding that the coaches have a better grasp of their players abilities and talents than the watchers of the game. On the whole.

Sam can float and take beautiful marks. He had a @@@@ of a year, but they put him on ice and waited. It will all be fine. He is a good player, he just breaks a bit.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    ... It will all be fine. He is a good player, he just breaks a bit.
    Unfortunately so do or other main forward options eg: Tippo, Rohan, Buddy and to a lesser extent Sinclair. A season with no injuries to these guys (+ Reid) and our midfield stars should give us a string chance of another GF.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Unfortunately so do or other main forward options eg: Tippo, Rohan, Buddy and to a lesser extent Sinclair. A season with no injuries to these guys (+ Reid) and our midfield stars should give us a string chance of another GF.
    I agree about all these, alot of fragility. Except for perhaps Buddy, I think hes pretty bulletproof considering all the attention he gets from the opposition week in week out. Seems to play through injury well. Obviously grand final day wasn't great for him, but overall I remember playing pretty much every game the past 3 years

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Sam Reid taking Xavier's spot would make us a lot stronger
    Correct weight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast