Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sammy Reid !!!

Interesting: despite his supposedly injury blighted career, Sammy Reid is only 2 years 2 months older than Jaeger O'Meara and has played >50 more games. Is it just me or is this a smidge surprising given the degree of hype that surrounds JOM?

Another thought: most players, from all clubs, tend to say they are happy to stay with their current club. Few go the Dusty Martin route and openly state they will test the market. Sam Reid is no different. It helps that, as best I can tell, the Swans are pretty fair in negotiations and don't ask our players to take massive unders (Titch excepted). However, my impression is that this discipline is extra tight at the Swans. Could this explain why we were so hard with X last year and withdrew our offer to him after he didn't accept our offer and negotiations broke down? Conversely, would you agree our treatment of X last year reinforces that discipline and sends a message to all the players to keep all negotiations in-house and not run to the media? It's also interesting that, when X did refuse our offer and make comment to the media, he was very politic and careful not to stir the Swans up - even talking about how high Sydney rents were a factor in his departure when seemingly this didn't turn out to be the case (given he remained in Sydney on a presumably lower income in the NEAFL for Sydney Uni) but it may well have been music to the Swans' ears. Perhaps players are even a little bit intimidated to say anything that might be perceived as disloyal? Then again, the players do seem to gel well, they pretty well do all stay with us, seem happy and get the deals done. (Mal was one exception when he got a great offer from the Suns that we were vindicated in not matching.) Does anyone have any views about this?

If his form continues the same as the first 2 rounds he'll get some big offers as the year rolls on. 25 year old KPF's with 100 games coming into their prime don't grow on trees.

Hopefully, by then, he will have already re-signed. I'm sure that the list managers are working on deals with Sam and with Zak, especially now that Mills has been sorted.

Oh definitely they'd be working on it. The longer it goes & if his form continues the bigger issue the media will make of it. I think the club will offer Sam another long term contract.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    A follow-up piece could be titled: "Should the opinions of half-baked journos really become headlines, even if only on the self-promoting website of a low-rating radio station?" ????

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    There I was hoping you were going to say he'd signed a new deal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234