Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swans Womens' Team?

Pushing for Selection
    Ah the phantom pocket post!!
    Mystery solved

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    if your head is made out of chocolate dont stand out in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'm very interested in the women's comp. but without a Swans' team it's a dilemma to decide who to support. I'm reluctant to follow GWS after the behaviour of their men's team - although that is probably unfair on the women.

Anybody else chosen their women's team?
    I am jumping on board the GWS women's bandwagon as I want to support the local Sydney players who were drafted. I feel like women's footy in NSW is a fair way behind some of the other States, but hopefully this kicks things up a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'm very interested in the women's comp. but without a Swans' team it's a dilemma to decide who to support. I'm reluctant to follow GWS after the behaviour of their men's team - although that is probably unfair on the women.

Anybody else chosen their women's team?
    Most of the local players would probably be Swans supporters, with the players actually playing for Swans aligned team. I imagine that if the Swans had fielded a team, they would have drafted the players that have been selected by the Giants. I agree the 5k isn't a huge amount of money but convinced that these players would have played for nothing, just the honour of playing at the highest level. Even when the state side travelled to Adelaide during the year, they had to put their hands in their pockets which was wrong. I'm sure that the ratings will be OK when the comp starts, as it will be the only footy being played in those months (Feb-March). I'm certainly looking forward to see how it pans out, and think the changes (Smaller ball, 16 aside etc) will benefit the spectacle of it.

Tomorrow the first ever girls teams representing the Swans are going to play the Giants at Tom Wills oval from about midday. First U17s then U19s.

Academy: Girls raring to make red and white history

Here's an article. The matches will be live streamed. Check Swans (or Giants) sites for the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Academy: Girls raring to make red and white history

Here's an article. The matches will be live streamed. Check Swans and Giants websites for the link.

So, yesterday the U17 & U19 girls teams played their first ever inter-club matches, against the Giants at Tom Wills Oval, Homebush (the Giants equivalent of Lakeside/Tramway)! I was able to be there for part of the U17s match. It was nice just to get a taste of the atmosphere. The spectators were mostly just parents as best I could tell.

The first thing that struck me was that it was weird that the Swans were wearing blue and the Giants were wearing charcoal.

I only chatted to a couple of people in the crowd and they were both parents of girls playing in the match - one from the Giants and one from the Swans. The Giants' dad's daughter was a strong onballer. He reckoned she was a bit off her game and he said that the Swans girls seemed to have really come to play. He hadn't realised it was our first ever inter-club match. The Swans' mum talked about how excited the girls were to be playing in their first match and they were really wound up. #37 for the Swans caught my eye (I don't know any of their names) and #1 was small but very plucky - I saw her get smashed in a tackle and bounce straight back up, and she was taking the game on ball in hand a couple of minutes later.

I noticed the Swans staff were up for it too. Jared Crouch was the runner for the team and he barely came off the ground at all during the time I was watching. Conversely I didn't sight a runner for the Giants. Another sneaky advantage I noticed the Swans grabbing was that the girls were interchanging frequently and they didn't wait for the player coming off to cross the boundary (whereas the Giants did). I don't think that should be allowed but we were getting away with it. We were ruthless!

Anyway, I couldn't stay long enough to see the results but it seems the Swans won both matches: Swans girls celebrate historic victories (sydneyswans.com.au). I would have loved to see the singing of the song. I left early and I didn't scan the crowd much, but the only people I recognised were Jared Crouch and Nick Davis.

Incidentally, on the topic of our song, we are going to have to tweak the words - it's not right for girls and women to have sing "while her loyal sons are marching onwards to victory". The Bulldogs had to address this same issue and they have done it by having two versions of the song, one for boys and one for girls: Club Song | Western Bulldogs. I think the best would be to come up with a gender-neutral term that all players would sing. My suggestion: "while her loyal bloods are marching onwards to victory". I haven't thought about it much and someone else may well be able to come up with a better suggestion.

There is also an article about the Swans girls by Brandon Jack (part of a series he's doing on the Academy) and it (obliquely) previews the game: Fast learners at the QBE Sydney Swans Academy. Hopefully there'll be a follow up one reporting on the actual day.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Thanks BS. I am a huge AFLW fan and can't wait until we have our own team to support. It brought a tear to my old eye to hear the youngsters sing the song with such passion after good wins against the Giants. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Thanks BS. I am a huge AFLW fan and can't wait until we have our own team to support. It brought a tear to my old eye to hear the youngsters sing the song with such passion after good wins against the Giants. Bring it on!
    Great to have another poster here, aardvark! Did you make it to the games on Sunday?

I confess I don't watch much AFLW - but that is only because there is no Swans team. It really makes a massive difference to me to be more invested in the game - same goes for AFLM. I can't wait to start barracking for our own AFLW team. The bits and pieces of AFLW I do catch suggest it is going from strength to strength. I really enjoyed watching the girls the other day and would love to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great to have another poster here, aardvark! Did you make it to the games on Sunday?

I confess I don't watch much AFLW - but that is only because there is no Swans team. It really makes a massive difference to me to be more invested in the game - same goes for AFLM. I can't wait to start barracking for our own AFLW team. The bits and pieces of AFLW I do catch suggest it is going from strength to strength. I really enjoyed watching the girls the other day and would love to see more.
    I live south of Melbourne so I didn't see the games live but i'm working my way through the replays. I have adopted Freo as my AFLW team as Kiara Bowers and Gemma Houghton are just amazing to watch. Hope we get a team soon.

From the comments Tom Harley dropped during the first period of the men's Swans-GWS practice match, I get the impression the club is still targeting a 2023 entry to the AFLW.

AFLW expansion: Four new clubs, no more AFL overlap (womens.afl) Woohoo! We may get an AFLW team from end of next year.

Problem remains about how we will achieve this in terms of facilities. I'm pretty sure the club will still want to get the Royal Hall of Industries happening. Maybe we will be able to lean on the AFL to bankroll it a bit more since they will want us to have an AFLW team? We also need some support from NSW government. Otherwise, we're gonna have to get creative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast