Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben McGlynn assistant coach at StKilda

Ben McGlynn assistant coach at StKilda

Good for him. I think that he's wanted to go into coaching for a while. Though it's a bit of a shame that we couldn't offer him a role at the Swans, but with all the quality people already in coaching and development roles at the club, it's hard to see where he would have fitted in. Actually, one of my major causes of optimism for next season, is that we seem to have such an excellent array of behind the scenes talent.

So pleased for my best boy. It his wish to coach, and he will be good at it. He understands disappointment. He understands the value of bloody hard work.

Wish him all the very best.

Bonus, he is going to a club I don't actively dislike. Like Cwood.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    So pleased for my best boy. It his wish to coach, and he will be good at it. He understands disappointment. He understands the value of bloody hard work.

Wish him all the very best.

Bonus, he is going to a club I don't actively dislike. Like Cwood.
    I believe it's spelt @@@@ingwood

I'm really pleased for him. Hopefully he makes it back to Sydney one day after he's served his apprenticeship.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Shocked.

Of all the people on our list I didn't expect it to be McGlynn. When I read the headline, I thought it was Teddy.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Good for him. I think that he's wanted to go into coaching for a while. Though it's a bit of a shame that we couldn't offer him a role at the Swans, but with all the quality people already in coaching and development roles at the club, it's hard to see where he would have fitted in.
    I think it's better for players to change clubs when they start coaching actually - they get a broader experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I think it's better for players to change clubs when they start coaching actually - they get a broader experience.
    Ala Brett Kirk.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    ... Hopefully he makes it back to Sydney one day after he's served his apprenticeship.
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Ala Brett Kirk.
    I have to agree with all of the above. Go and see how the other clubs do it, learn, get experience, make your mistakes there and come back a polished, professional coach.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Yes, it's an interesting point that. Since head coaches, to varying degrees, all have differing personalities, there would be differences in coaching styles. How much I don't know? But there would be differences in game plans, differences in the personalities of the people hired by the coach, different communication styles and maybe different opinions on what statistics and technologies are important. So, yes, it would be useful, if an aspiring head coach went to another club or two.
    But in this case, it would be only useful to the Swans, if Benny came back to us. Which begs another interesting question: I wonder if there has been any cases of clubs saying something along the lines of, "Well, we can't fit you in at the moment, but there will be a job next year, so go to that other club, find out all you can and get back to us."?
    Not totally outside the realms of possibility.

Veterans List
    Rising execs at Holden would be told they needed to leave and work somewhere else, like Ford, before they could rise further up the ladder. To learn you need to see how others do it.

Ben told me earlier this year that he had done his degree in sports science to move into coaching "eventually". I'm glad he's got his start - go Benny. BTW how's Paul Williams going in coaching? At Port?

Veteran Site Admin
    I imagine Kirk's decision to spend a couple of years at Freo (albeit under a senior coach he had already worked under at Sydney) was a deliberate move to gain some experience in another organisation, before returning home to the fold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast