Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 fixture.

It'd be 20+ years since we've had that many games down here.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Nice to see more Melbourne games for the Vic based fans.
    I wish thete were more afternoon home games in Sydney though.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCanuck View Post
    Tough draw but only one trip to Perth and Adelaide plus the inevitable Simond Stadium round.

Hawthorn x2
    GWS x2
    Bulldogs x2
    St Kilda x2
    Carlton x2

With the exception of the last, no easy games here.
    I think there is a real risk that Hawthorn could tumble down the ladder next year. They won't be the Hawthorn we have thought of the past few years.

I know Jenny (I think) occasionally comes on here to monitor the chat etc - can I just really really really register my appreciation to the club and also the AFL for the large number of Melbourne and victorian games. I've been moaning about it for years but i really really want to register my gratitude

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I know Jenny (I think) occasionally comes on here to monitor the chat etc - can I just really really really register my appreciation to the club and also the AFL for the large number of Melbourne and victorian games. I've been moaning about it for years but i really really want to register my gratitude
    Sadly, I'll register my disappointment at the lack of arvo games in Sydney, just 4 next season But swings and roundabouts, and its great to see Melbourne based fans get a really good suite of games next year. But I wouldn't hold my breath that its not just a 'fixturing quirk' - in particular as we have no games in Queensland next year (feel sorry for the decent multitude of swans fans up there) and only 1 game in Adelaide and Perth (not that that is unusual).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    It'd be 20+ years since we've had that many games down here.
    1996 was the last time we played 8 games in Vic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Seconded. Are we going to see a bump in our membership prices as a result?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    7 Melbourne games AND the obligatory Geelong away game. Is that some kind of record?

On the other hand for Queensland fans, you won't get a chance to see the Swans in Qld this year.
    We played both QLD teams in QLD last year, so it is probably our turn to host. I would assume next year we'll have to go there twice again.
    I wonder if it has been the same way in previous years?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    We played both QLD teams in QLD last year, so it is probably our turn to host. I would assume next year we'll have to go there twice again.
    I wonder if it has been the same way in previous years?
    We have played the lions an awful lot in Brisbane the last few years - I think we've only played them in Sydney once or twice in about 6 years.

As always there are some strange quirks with the fixturing. We play North and Geelong only once and both away, despite our last clashes being away. We don't play Freo or Adelaide till Rd 21 or 22 - despite having already played 4 double up matchups by then. I don't understand why the AFL doesn't change the draw to ensure you play each team once in the first 17 rounds.

It would ensure the last 5 rounds held something for all fans - a derby game for each of the interstate teams guaranteed in the last 5 rounds (pride on the line if the season is going poorly is worth playing for and will draw a decent crowd), plus match ups between last years top teams as well. But that would make too much sense wouldn't it!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The fixture can't cater for everyone.
    For Melbourne fans, this is LONG overdue.
    I don't care whether Melbourne games are afternoon, evening, or midnight. Just happy to have them
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    4 games at the MCG next year and didn't count the GF????

Must be a mistake????

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    4 games at the MCG next year and didn't count the GF??

Must be a mistake??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Nice. My full MCC membership just kicked in too

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I don't care whether Melbourne games are afternoon, evening, or midnight. Just happy to have them
    No one is suggesting that at all - but as good as the draw is for Melbourne fans, it also has its drawbacks for others. And the AFL could do a lot more than it does to ensure its less of a 'fix' - starting with no repeat games before rd 18...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    No one is suggesting that at all - but as good as the draw is for Melbourne fans, it also has its drawbacks for others. And the AFL could do a lot more than it does to ensure its less of a 'fix' - starting with no repeat games before rd 18...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast