Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 fixture.

Are we Collingwood all of a sudden??
    Friday night games... we must be flavour of the month.
    I think it's a great draw.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Nice. My full MCC membership just kicked in too
    Mine too.
    We must catch up at a game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We have played the lions an awful lot in Brisbane the last few years - I think we've only played them in Sydney once or twice in about 6 years.

As always there are some strange quirks with the fixturing. We play North and Geelong only once and both away, despite our last clashes being away. We don't play Freo or Adelaide till Rd 21 or 22 - despite having already played 4 double up matchups by then. I don't understand why the AFL doesn't change the draw to ensure you play each team once in the first 17 rounds.

It would ensure the last 5 rounds held something for all fans - a derby game for each of the interstate teams guaranteed in the last 5 rounds (pride on the line if the season is going poorly is worth playing for and will draw a decent crowd), plus match ups between last years top teams as well. But that would make too much sense wouldn't it!
    Here is the recent H/A games v QLD teams.
    4 years since we played them both in Sydney.

Year GCS BL
    2011 A A
    2011 H
    2012 A H
    2013 H H
    2014 A A
    2015 A A
    2015 H
    2016 A A
    2017 H H

Is it just me that doesn't really like the fact that we are the team against which the Dogs will unfurl their flag?

We had to sit through the pain of losing to them in the grand final, and media wankery in the lead up and then followed, and now are then forced to sit through it all again. Its one game that is definitely off my list of games to go to next year, for that reason alone. Its not that I have anything against the Dogs or the like, but I think it is harsh on Swans fans to be honest - just a bit of 'rubbing our nose in it' really.

Has it happened much in history (at least during AFL days with a lot more clubs) that the losing Grand Finalist is the opponent for the 'flag unfurling'?
    Last year may have been the only year Hawks playing Eagles other than that I don't think its happened much.

This is Fox Footy's analysis of Collingwood's draw which culminated in them describing Collingwood as a fixture 'loser':

A tough draw. The Pies have to play Geelong and Hawthorn twice, as well as Port Adelaide � who knows what that club could be � Melbourne and Essendon. The Pies also missed out on having a Friday night game against Carlton to celebrate their 135-year anniversary, receiving a Saturday afternoon game instead. They got their Round 1 clash against the Dogs and their 14 MCG games, but doubt the Pies would be too happy.

To me this just shows how good the Pies have got it. They have more games at their home venue than any other club (14). I don't mean equal most - that's outright most. I think the next best is 12. That venue just happens to be the MCG. In addition they travel interstate fewer times than any other club (again, outright, not equal fewest) and have only five 6-day breaks (compared to 8 for some other clubs and 7 for us). Plus they have their usual 'marquee' matches (season opener, Anzac day etc.) and still they will not be "happy". Unbelievable. How can they be described as 'losers' (other than for the most obvious reasons)?

I am coming to see more and more that, as a club, they cannot be managed that well given the number of advantages they are handed on a platter and there still limited success. Thus it is not surprising to see the recent news about the instability and dissatisfaction within the club's management at the moment. I say again, I hope Whitfield, Allan and Lambert get what they deserve.

Good draw except for the fact that we seem to play away games to Adelaide and West Coast. I would like to see how many home games we have played these two sides since 2010 as to away games.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Good draw except for the fact that we seem to play away games to Adelaide and West Coast. I would like to see how many home games we have played these two sides since 2010 as to away games.
    AFL Tables - South Melbourne/Sydney All Games - By Team

Adelaide 3 home - 6 away (including 1 home final and 1 away final)
    WC 2 home - 5 away'

Conversely
    Port Adelaide 4 home - 5 away
    Fremantle 5 home - 5 away (including 1 home final and 2 away finals)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    To me this just shows how good the Pies have got it. They have more games at their home venue than any other club (14). I don't mean equal most - that's outright most. I think the next best is 12.
    D'oh! Just double checked and found I am mistaken - Saints also have 14 games at their home venue (Etihad). Still, it is the equal most. North are in 3rd spot with 13 games at Etihad.

Veterans List
    Is it just me that doesn't really like the fact that we are the team against which the Dogs will unfurl their flag?

We had to sit through the pain of losing to them in the grand final, and media wankery in the lead up and then followed, and now are then forced to sit through it all again. Its one game that is definitely off my list of games to go to next year, for that reason alone. Its not that I have anything against the Dogs or the like, but I think it is harsh on Swans fans to be honest - just a bit of 'rubbing our nose in it' really.

Has it happened much in history (at least during AFL days with a lot more clubs) that the losing Grand Finalist is the opponent for the 'flag unfurling'?
    I don't like this either. But being round 2 we will have to line up and collect our membership caps, and going by the last couple of years the queues have been really long so hopefully we will miss the unfurling .

In 2015 I went to the round 1 hawks v Geelong game and unfortunately saw the unfurling of the 2014 flag. It wasn't too bad but I bet the doggies will make it more of a spectacle and it will be painful.

Anyway back to the draw...
    Can't believe we are getting 8 games in Victoria. Really looking forward to seeing the swans play live more than 4 times.

Feel bad for qld supporters...but at least we won't be playing in a cyclone/ tsunami/ lake!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

All the Friday and Thursday night games are a deserved outcome based on how consistently good the Swannies are...

Always in or around the top 4, rarely blown away in games.

My only gripe is I would of liked some of the Saturday night games at the SCG, to be Saturday arvo games...But it's a minor gripe.

Really happy for all the Victorian members and fans.....

No doubt the players and coaches will also be rapt with 4 MCG games.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    This is an excellent result for Melbourne based fans!
    About bloody time. I might even buy an extra membership this year!

and only one Sunday twilight game, Bonus!

Memberships should clear 60k easily next year.

What was last years final tally?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast