Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 fixture.

2017 fixture.

Round 1. Sydney v Port Adelaide, March 25 @ SCG.

Saturday afternoon. Dons-Hawks clash highlights blockbuster opening round - AFL.com.au

Looking at the two primetime games why do Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood get to play Thursday and Friday after having such mediocre seasons. I understand Bulldogs they're the champs.

Be interesting to see the distribution of the Thursday and Friday games.

The reasoning is quite simple. The AFL expect at least 70,000 minimum supporters at each of those games and that is why they are being played at the MCG. As well being round 1 the supporters of all of those clubs will have high expectations for their clubs and will flock to these games.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    The reasoning is quite simple. The AFL expect at least 70,000 minimum supporters at each of those games and that is why they are being played at the MCG. As well being round 1 the supporters of all of those clubs will have high expectations for their clubs and will flock to these games.
    Playing at SCG will get over 40k playing at Adelaide would get 50k and Subiaco will get over 40k. Supporters of other 14 clubs have expectations as well and would flock to their respective home grounds (QLD teams excluded). My point was what is the point of putting three mediocre teams who won't be doing anything in 2017 in such a valuable timeslot to start the season.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Playing at SCG will get over 40k playing at Adelaide would get 50k and Subiaco will get over 40k. Supporters of other 14 clubs have expectations as well and would flock to their respective home grounds (QLD teams excluded). My point was what is the point of putting three mediocre teams who won't be doing anything in 2017 in such a valuable timeslot to start the season.
    Richmond and Carlton have started off the season on Thursday night for a few years now. This is unlikely to change any time soon.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Collingwood's chances next year. They were inconsistent this year but they were also competitive. IMO they could make next year's finals.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Blog Entries
    It's the only chance Carlton and Richmond have to get a TV audience.

My early thoughts on where teams will finish next year: I reckon Bulldogs, Swans, Cats, Giants, Eagles and Crows are all a great chance to finish top 8 again. I reckon Lions and Blues will be bottom 6 with Norf a strong chance to join them. I think the rest could finish pretty much anywhere in between. Melbourne a great shot at making finals (I hope they do). Essendon a dark horse (I hope they don't). Fremantle to bounce up the ladder - but how much? I reckon the Eagles may be stronger than this year. Giants look most formidable on paper. Writing will be on the wall for Buckley if Pies don't make the finals (widely agreed) and for Hinkley if Port don't improve. Really curious to see what becomes of Hawthorn. I reckon the Saints probably won't make finals until the following year.

Too bad it's all such a looooooooonngg way away.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    It's the only chance Carlton and Richmond have to get a TV audience.
    Yes, they will play against each other while both are undefeated for the season.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Round 1. Sydney v Port Adelaide, March 25 @ SCG.
    First thought: meh.

Second thought: that tingle down the spine you get when the siren sounds for the first bounce of the year, after those 6 long months. A shiny new season, no disappointments, only possibilities.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Richmond and Carlton have started off the season on Thursday night for a few years now. This is unlikely to change any time soon.
    Except for seasons 2012, '13 and '14 before it was returned as "tradition"

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Except for seasons 2012, '13 and '14 before it was returned as "tradition"
    2007 - 2015 rnd 1 has been Tigers v Blues except 2014 when it was Tigers v Suns

source
    edit: sorry, I thought you were saying the Tigers and Blues didn't play each other in round one of those years, not that they didn't open those seasons. Change it to the Tigers and Cats have been the first Melbourne game except for 2014
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 25th October 2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I made a mistake
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

GWS playing its first Friday home game in Canberra... Just move to Canberra already!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast