Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2017 fixture.

Veterans List
    Just looked at the draw for the first time and it's good.

Only once to Perth and once to Adelaide, no Qld and no Tasmania which are replaced by MCG games. Plus as pointed out the obligatory Kardinia Park trip.

Not too bad on the double ups, got to expect Bullies and GWS twice but after that we are on a winner, Carlton should be easy, St.Kilda aren't top 8 and Hawks should be much more beatable than past four years.

I doubt we've got the second most difficult despite our finishing position this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Mine too.
    We must catch up at a game.
    Sounds good. Remind me when the first match approaches.

For anyone interested in a data nerd's take on the 2017 fixture there are some interesting tables on today's 'The Roar'.

2017 AFL Fixtures: The facts and figures | The Roar

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sadly, I'll register my disappointment at the lack of arvo games in Sydney, just 4 next season But swings and roundabouts, and its great to see Melbourne based fans get a really good suite of games next year. But I wouldn't hold my breath that its not just a 'fixturing quirk' - in particular as we have no games in Queensland next year (feel sorry for the decent multitude of swans fans up there) and only 1 game in Adelaide and Perth (not that that is unusual).
    Yes, for we Canberrans, the paucity of day games means either driving back late or staying in Sydney overnight if we want to watch the team live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Sounds good. Remind me when the first match approaches.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Memberships should clear 60k easily next year.

What was last years final tally?

We really are on the brink of being a super club. This favorable fixture might just be the final push that takes us from good to great.

Good fixture, but something tells me it's to stop people walking away from the code due to the disgrace that was the 2016 Grand Final. And the AFL 'rewarded' the club for not kicking up a stink.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes, for we Canberrans, the paucity of day games means either driving back late or staying in Sydney overnight if we want to watch the team live.
    Yep it makes for a late drive back from Sydney when they are 7.30pm starts. Not so bad when its a win, but a loss makes it a very long drive back the 'Berra!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post

We really are on the brink of being a super club. This favorable fixture might just be the final push that takes us from good to great.

Good fixture, but something tells me it's to stop people walking away from the code due to the disgrace that was the 2016 Grand Final. And the AFL 'rewarded' the club for not kicking up a stink.
    It certainly should help with getting Melbourne memberships up - its a 'once in a lifetime' offer I feel of 8 games down there. Only way 8 games in Melbourne is likely to be repeated anytime soon is for a continuation of Melbourne teams dominating our double up matchups - which while possible, youd expect on average won't happen too often.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It certainly should help with getting Melbourne memberships up - its a 'once in a lifetime' offer I feel of 8 games down there. Only way 8 games in Melbourne is likely to be repeated anytime soon is for a continuation of Melbourne teams dominating our double up matchups - which while possible, youd expect on average won't happen too often.
    I see that Brisbane also have 7 games in Melbourne as well. That is the way it should always be, but the AFL keeps scheduling the Swans and Lions against the tin rattler clubs at their second home. Stuff that, if the pauperoos want to take games to Hobart, they can play either of the 2 Perth teams or Adelaide teams, GWS or Suns. There's 6 clubs with a negligible support base in Melbourne they can play down there and leave the Swans and Lions to play in Melbourne in front of the South and Fitzroy faithful...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

My only gripe is the turnaround is very tight between some games... there are a few six-dayers.
    Medical and conditioning staff have to up their game. It's going to be a long year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    I think you summary is on the money. But personally after that disgraceful Grand Final I cannot pay membership fees knowing that we compete in a very corrupt league. I stick to watching on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I see that Brisbane also have 7 games in Melbourne as well. That is the way it should always be, but the AFL keeps scheduling the Swans and Lions against the tin rattler clubs at their second home. Stuff that, if the pauperoos want to take games to Hobart, they can play either of the 2 Perth teams or Adelaide teams, GWS or Suns. There's 6 clubs with a negligible support base in Melbourne they can play down there and leave the Swans and Lions to play in Melbourne in front of the South and Fitzroy faithful...
    I agree in some respects Triple B - but I do like getting around the place to all the different grounds as well, so it doesn't worry me. But if I lived in Melbourne it would be mighty frustrating.

The reason we get the tin rattler clubs at their second homes is that they know they'll draw a good crowd against us there, as there are plenty of swans fans wherever you go, and we seem to travel pretty well as a fan group as well.

The AFL needs to press a 'reset' button on the draw sooner rather than later. Draw a line in the sand, start again and fix up nonsense like not playing everyone once before you play a team twice, making sure teams go home-away-home-away etc when they play each other, and ensure that the Swans and Lions can keep their links to Melbourne well alive. In reality we should be saying the same thing about Norf and someone else, as Gold Coast and GWS should have been teams that moved as well...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345