Thread: Roos wary of kangas

Roos wary of kangas

Roos wary of Kangas
    6:27:30 PM Wed 14 April, 2004
    Karen Collins
    Sportal
    Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos is expecting a very tough encounter against the undefeated Kangaroos at Manuka Oval in Canberra on Sunday.

In the corresponding match last year, the Kangaroos caused the preliminary finalists plenty of trouble coming away from the hard fought contest - though far from a great spectacle - with a four-goal victory.

?They are a team who even when they lose play hard footy,? Roos said prior to Wednesday?s training session at the SCG.

?I think everyone respects the Kangaroos for they way they have gone about their footy for the last 10-12 years. They are always a team who has had a lot of spirit, a lot of will to win and they still have got some really good senior players that drive that.

?Shannon Grant has been there a while, (Adam) Simpson, Brent Harvey, Glenn Archer of course and ?Stevo? (Anthony Stevens) - I am sure they pass it on to the young guys that you are always in the game and you are always a chance to win.?

Sydney hopes to improve on its performance against Geelong, when it took a three-goal-eight final term to overrun the depleted visitors.

But Roos put the win into context? any win is a good win.

?I have been really negative towards the team but we are two and one, so our form has been very good if you stack it up against the rest of the competition.

?It is easy to get a bit ahead of yourself, even as a coach and get a bit down, but we won on the weekend, we beat the Dockers (in round two) who finished fifth last year and we ran Brisbane to two points in round one.?

However, Roos knows the Swans will have to be at the top of their game to come away from Canberra with four points.

?We really have to address the way we are going to play and make sure we are a lot more intense than we were in the first three quarters (against Geelong).

?I would be happy if we played the way we did in the final quarter. If we do that it will give us a chance to win.

?When we are intense our game plan seems to fall into place but it all falls apart when we are not hard at the footy.?

Forwards Michael O?Loughlin (groin) and Nick Davis (hip) have been included in the squad, while Tadhg Kennelly (back/ribs) was due to have an MRI scan late on Wednesday.

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.as...ticleid=143003

Senior Player
    while Tadhg Kennelly (back/ribs) was due to have an MRI scan late on Wednesday
    Hmmmmmmmm........... why leave it so late in the week??????

Originally posted by floppinab
    Hmmmmmmmm........... why leave it so late in the week??????

Shocking waiting lists in our hospitals

SXP
    Originally posted by Bart
    Shocking waiting lists in our hospitals

Going to be a tough game. Last years defeat ways heavily on my memory. The Kangas just seemed to want it more...similiar to Geelong in the first three quarters.

Go Swans Always
    HOPEFULLY WE PLAY HARD AND STRONGER AND WANT IT MORE THAN KANGAROOS THIS TIME.
    Love those Swans

Regular in the Side
    Two observations relating to this weekends game

Firstly I am worried about the talls that the Kangaroos have in their forward line - Mckernan (197cm, 105kg) Leigh Brown (193cm, 101 kg) and Drew Petrie (197cm, 101 kg)

Line these players up against the likes of Craig Bolton (188cm, 86kg), Heath James (191cm, 90kg), Saddington (194cm, 88kg) we could be in a little trouble

Is this a game to play LRT (196cm, 86kg), or have Goodes (193cm, 97kg) play more of a role down back where they can compete because of their athleticism? LRT would have to come in ahead of Doyle...who as a forward I think we can more than cover with Micky and Nicky back)

I say this because it looks like Schauble (192cm, 93kg) isnt going to play.

The second is our midfield - if you look at the Kangaroos midfield it is Adam Simpson, Brent Harvey, Shannon Grant and Anthony Stevens...four very attacking players. Our midfield tends to include at least two taggers - Kirk and Crouch. Whilst they are run-with players who get a fair bit of the ball themselves I am wondering whether we should attempt to have a more attacking midfield (Jude Bolton, Williams, Goodes and maybe only one tagger - Kirk...or maybe even a hard nut like Maxfield)

I guess my suggestion is that we go into the match with a more attacking midfield and try to win the clearances and get the ball down forward where Davis, O'Loughlin, Hall and OKeefe would end up getting quicker delivery?

I guess I am just hankering for the days when we had the likes of Williams, Healy...or more recently Kelly, Schwass, Cresswell etc when our midfield was one that was tagged...not did the tagging

Any thoughts, comments?

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
    Two observations relating to this weekends game

Firstly I am worried about the talls that the Kangaroos have in their forward line - Mckernan (197cm, 105kg) Leigh Brown (193cm, 101 kg) and Drew Petrie (197cm, 101 kg)

Line these players up against the likes of Craig Bolton (188cm, 86kg), Heath James (191cm, 90kg), Saddington (194cm, 88kg) we could be in a little trouble

Is this a game to play LRT (196cm, 86kg), or have Goodes (193cm, 97kg) play more of a role down back where they can compete because of their athleticism? LRT would have to come in ahead of Doyle...who as a forward I think we can more than cover with Micky and Nicky back)

I say this because it looks like Schauble (192cm, 93kg) isnt going to play.

The second is our midfield - if you look at the Kangaroos midfield it is Adam Simpson, Brent Harvey, Shannon Grant and Anthony Stevens...four very attacking players. Our midfield tends to include at least two taggers - Kirk and Crouch. Whilst they are run-with players who get a fair bit of the ball themselves I am wondering whether we should attempt to have a more attacking midfield (Jude Bolton, Williams, Goodes and maybe only one tagger - Kirk...or maybe even a hard nut like Maxfield)

I guess my suggestion is that we go into the match with a more attacking midfield and try to win the clearances and get the ball down forward where Davis, O'Loughlin, Hall and OKeefe would end up getting quicker delivery?

I guess I am just hankering for the days when we had the likes of Williams, Healy...or more recently Kelly, Schwass, Cresswell etc when our midfield was one that was tagged...not did the tagging

Any thoughts, comments?
    I'm a little confused. On the one hand you are advocating structuring part of our team - the backline - primarily to counter one of their facets. LRT hasn't played any significant time in the defence and slotting him in just for the reason of their height would probably achieve less than having faith in a mobile and attacking backline that works well together.

On the other hand, you are advocating giving their major strength - their midfield - more latitude and simultaneously sacrificing the defensive strength of our midfield.

Surely we are better off playing to our strengths and hoping they are good enough to outweigh those of the opposition.

I also dispute the fact that having Kirk and Crouch play run-with roles robs our midfield of attack. They are both capable of contributing in both ways, and are probably the two best at clearances. The trick for them - and Roos - is to find the right balance between concern for where their man is and finding the ball themselves but I think we have already seen that happen this season. Having an "attacking" or "defensive" mindset in the midfield won't affect the chances of winning the clearances.

If the height of their forwards is a concern, surely we are better off making sure the midfield does its job by making sure they don't get much unpressured delivery, and then letting Laidley worry about how he's going to keep Goodes, Hall, Davis and Magic in check?

I would be very happy if the Roos build their game plan around exploiting the height of McKernan and Petrie . . . they are lousy shots for goal.

I would be more than happy to have Petrie as their target. He could take forty marks and still not kick a bag. I say put Crouch on him and make it easy for them.

Much rather have Petrie shooting for goal regularly, than see Grant or Harvey with the ball in their hands. If the Roos win, it won't be because of their tall forwards.