Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GF hero retires, thanks Mal

Hear, hear! Best wishes, Mal, and thanks for the memories. Loved watching you play and having you in our team. It was a very sad day when you packed your bags for the Suns but totally understood and respected your decision to set yourself up a bit more for your future. You will still always remain a Swan for us and can't wait to have you back for the reunions if nothing else. You were a heart and soul player who played with joy and lifted the whole team with your passion I reckon. A bit like Shawry (and with the matching beards for a while!). As well as being a terrific rebounding attacking HBF who gained more metres one season than anyone else in the comp (IIRC). Go well! And don't be a stranger!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Produced one of the two greatest moments in the last 80 years for fans of South Melbourne and the Sydney Swans. Enough said. Thank you.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Produced one of the two greatest moments in the last 80 years for fans of South Melbourne and the Sydney Swans. Enough said. Thank you.
    Purely out of curiosity V&R, what's your other one?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

That'd be Leo's mark wouldn't it Mr D??

I hated NicMal leaving us, its always felt wrong, but I can understand it. Its not about us, its about his whole future, and if GC were going to offer him overs along with a continuation of playing then he had to make a decision.

But my magic moment is the look on his face as that goal sailed through. I think that is one of my most embedded memories at the Swans.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Purely out of curiosity V&R, what's your other one?
    As Primmy predicted, the other moment was Leo's mark. Both still give me chills every time I see them. Amon Buchanan very unlucky.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

As Primmy predicted, the other moment was Leo's mark. Both still give me chills every time I see them. Amon Buchanan very unlucky.
    Haha!! Yes I agree. I love that last goal and his little cherub face.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks V&R and Primmy, I'm not surprised but was curious. For me, Nick Davis also unlucky!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Great Swans hero, an inspiration. Seems to have gone out with some good grace too.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I remember his first game was against Carlton at Docklands in round 11, 2005. He wore number 40 in those days and started on the ground. In the last quarter with the game in the balance, Roos shifted him into the centre for the bounce where he had an impact. We went on to win by 25 points. Even then, I knew he was a player to watch.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I remember his first game was against Carlton at Docklands in round 11, 2005. He wore number 40 in those days and started on the ground. In the last quarter with the game in the balance, Roos shifted him into the centre for the bounce where he had an impact. We went on to win by 25 points. Even then, I knew he was a player to watch.
    He makes a brief appearance in this video.

Here's some words etched in my memory forever. "Is that the grand final,Sydney are premiers". Great career Mal you are forever red and white.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I recall watching him ply his trade at reserves level on many occasion, while he was on the fringes of the senior team and, intermittently, when he was on the comeback trail from yet another knee reco. I haven't seen another player dominate at that level, before or since. His work rate was phenomenal - he would sometimes kick in from fullback, or take first possession from a kick-in, be involved two or three times in chain of possessions that saw the ball move up to the forward line, and still manage to be the one presenting as a free target in the forward line. I have long thought that the coaches should sit young players, aspiring to break into the senior team, down with a handful of videos of his reserves games and show them how a player can emphatically put his hand up and make it impossible for the coaches to pick them, even when the senior team is strong.

He never quite recovered his kicking skills after his third knee reco. He was still pretty good (though somewhat inconsistent) but his kicks had somehow lost that sizzle through the air that they had in his younger years. Those early career kicks used to make me feel all warm and fuzzy in those parts of the body you don't expect to be impacted by watching a game of footy. (Am I allowed to say that?!!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast