Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GF hero retires, thanks Mal

Veterans List

GF hero retires, thanks Mal

Nick Malceski announced his retirement due to ongoing knee issues. He will move into a role with their academy.

All the best Nick, a true Blood Brother and GF hero.

Blog Entries

Malceski Retires

We will always remember at least one kick.
    A great career considering the hardship that preceded it.

Suns shock as defender Malceski retires - AFL.com.au

Senior Player
    Damn.... what a flat day for the club. Firstly, the guys getting cut and now news of Mal retiring.
    In the excitement of 2012 I bought a large framed version of the now famous photo of his match
    sealing goal. It's hanging up on a hall wall at the back of the house and I still look at it most days.
    What a @@@@ing awesome moment that was !

Senior Player
    One of my all-time favourites , amongst some stiff competition.
    He would still have been on the "Best" list in the 2012 GF , without his "bookend" goals.
    But the sealer - well , that makes him an Immortal !

Bless you and good luck for the future , Eski - yer a bloody legend and we love ya !!

What makes the last goal even better , was that he got crunched a minute or so before :

The final two minutes - AFL Grand Final - YouTube

Veterans List
    Sad to see him retire but he's got Swans memories to last a lifetime.....and so have we. Thanks Mal, a Swan legend.

Sad to see injuries finally beat him, but a wonderful career of perseverance, and at his best he was a mighty fine footballer.

But like Nick Davis, his career in red and white will be forever encapsulated in just a few seconds of footage - but what a few seconds it will be. What is amazing, in the euphoria around the match sealer, is just how forgotten that incredible floater goal he kicked in the first quarter was as well!

Bravo Mal - a great career, and your well and truly part of Swans fokelore, forever in a day. I look forward to a day, far into the future, when I can sit down with my grandkids, before we sit down to enjoy watching the Swans play (no way they will support anybody else!) and tell them about the day I was at the 'G and saw Nick Malceski kick the goal to seal a mighty, mighty Swans Premiership.

Nick Malceski, I salute you on a super career!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Gold Coast made a bad choice with him considering his injuries.

Will forever be remembered as a swans immortal. His Gold Coast stint will quickly be erased from memory.

Broke my heart that he left his club in the first place.
    Oh NicMal... now you have to get a job.
    I'm thinking golf pro.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sad to see injuries finally beat him, but a wonderful career of perseverance, and at his best he was a mighty fine footballer.

But like Nick Davis, his career in red and white will be forever encapsulated in just a few seconds of footage - but what a few seconds it will be. What is amazing, in the euphoria around the match sealer, is just how forgotten that incredible floater goal he kicked in the first quarter was as well!

Bravo Mal - a great career, and you're well and truly part of Swans folklore, forever and a day. I look forward to a day, far into the future, when I can sit down with my grandkids, before we sit down to enjoy watching the Swans play (no way they will support anybody else!) and tell them about the day I was at the 'G and saw Nick Malceski kick the goal to seal a mighty, mighty Swans Premiership.

Nick Malceski, I salute you on a super career!
    Absolutely!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Yes, at his best, he was a hugely skilled ball user and an essential part of some of the more highly rated Swans sides. I used to love watching his spear passes, that hit targets thirty metres away, seemingly without getting more than a few metres above the ground.
    Though one little regret that I had years ago, was that due to injuries to both him and Kennelly, we never really got to see both of them together, for an extended period of time, cutting it up off the halfback flank. And speaking of injuries, I suspect the fact that he came back from three major knee surgeries, may still be a bit of an inspiration, to players going through their own difficult periods of rehabilitation.

Veterans List
    Nick, you provided us with so many great memories. I was behind you for that first goal in the 2012 GF and though "It's out of bounds, no it's a point, no IT'S A GOAL!" - and the euphoria from his last kick. But many many moments in so many games - and so much heartache with those knee recons. I think I learned everything I know about surgery and LARS from Nick.

Well done on a great career - I hope you banked all that Gold Coast money for a comfortable retirement.

Opti-pessi-misti
    He's going into coaching. It was part of his deal in going to Gold Coast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast