Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vic bias against sydney teams

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Not brilliant news for us if this is true.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/g...02-gu3s0j.html
    Its no news to anyone that the AFL has a severe hatred for the red and white team up North. I have come to expect nothing but bad news from AFL house. GF day proved that beyond any shadow of doubt.

Caro stuck up for us in relation to this matter today on Offsiders, which was nice.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Thanks Caro

Caro has been gunning against the GWS riverina zones for a while now. She is usually backing some crusade from within AFL HQ or influential club-land.

Its going to be interesting to see how this pans out for all the other academies.

Academies are such a lottery at the moment. Swans have picked up two good kids (mills and heeney) and thats about it over a long investment.
    Giants have picked up some good kids too. All potential, no runs on the board yet.
    Brisbane and Gold coast seem to struggle, which is ironic as QLD has historically had a good quality aussie rules capacity below AFL level.

Its almost impossible to accurately measure its success or failure in terms of individual players. I think the only way to prove its success is when QLD and NSW teams have the same ratio of local players as other state clubs. Only then, tinker with it. Until then, it has failed.

Veterans List
    Rewarding mediocrity again. It seems to me that all these groups within the AFL, keep the need to justify their existence. Talk about top heavy. On one hand they expect clubs to plough money into their academies, when on the other hand they delight in screwing them, year in year out. If they want to grow the game in the northern states, then let the AFL fund the academies and supply the personnel to run them and coach them, under their own rules. Goodness knows there are enough ex players and hangers on to fill the breach. They all put their hand out for a GF ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Rewarding mediocrity again. It seems to me that all these groups within the AFL, keep the need to justify their existence. Talk about top heavy. On one hand they expect clubs to plough money into their academies, when on the other hand they delight in screwing them, year in year out. If they want to grow the game in the northern states, then let the AFL fund the academies and supply the personnel to run them and coach them, under their own rules. Goodness knows there are enough ex players and hangers on to fill the breach. They all put their hand out for a GF ticket.
    Hi Nico,

I agree with most of your view, except that the AFL would not run the academies well, being a bunch of administrators. Also if you look at the way they select for the national academies, I would not expect sydney talent to get much of a run.

The giants, early flag favourites....

WTF?
    The season hasn't even started.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

WTF?
    No surprise there Annie..the odds were out the Monday after the Grand Final. And, of course, GWS is favorite....they should be.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

WTF?
    I appreciate all the posts - speculation about the upcoming season, training reports, etc.

I'm feeling optimistic (for a change), however, one thing worries me - GWS in the finals.

Who will stop Jeremy Cameron being BOG? (Rampe failed L.Y.)
    Also, Heath Shaw's run - surely McVeigh as a defensive forward is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Not brilliant news for us if this is true.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/g...02-gu3s0j.html
    That's a bloody disgrace. It sounds like father-son selections are being left alone. This is a knee jerk reaction to what GWS and GCS did last draft. The VFL makes stupid decisions like this every time there is an anomaly instead of giving it a few seasons to see what happens.

It's not too often that we will have two top 20 academy players to pick but if we do we should hide one away. We should also cut funding for the academy concentrating on who we can recruit rather that the development of the game in our zones.

Screw the VFL. If they won't play fair then neither should we.

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    I appreciate all the posts - speculation about the upcoming season, training reports, etc.

I'm feeling optimistic (for a change), however, one thing worries me - GWS in the finals.

Who will stop Jeremy Cameron being BOG? (Rampe failed L.Y.)
    Also, Heath Shaw's run - surely McVeigh as a defensive forward is not an option.
    We just need a couple of players from another club to do a Mummy and a Stevie J on Cameron and another player or two. The AFL reckons that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    That's a bloody disgrace. It sounds like father-son selections are being left alone. This is a knee jerk reaction to what GWS and GCS did last draft. The VFL makes stupid decisions like this every time there is an anomaly instead of giving it a few seasons to see what happens.

It's not too often that we will have two top 20 academy players to pick but if we do we should hide one away. We should also cut funding for the academy concentrating on who we can recruit rather that the development of the game in our zones.

Screw the VFL. If they won't play fair then neither should we.
    I've seen first hand how much good the Academy has done for the standard of junior footy in Sydney and this proposal both sucks and blows. Even if they tinker with the Riverina, why do they need to touch what we're doing, or Brisbane or GC where footy is already going poorly. I completely agree that it's noisy, mediocre vessels being rewarded for whinging rather than doing what they should do and getting their own houses in order.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast