Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: 2017 pre-season training thread

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I think if everyone was fit Heeney would be midfield but now with Rohan and Papley out he's more important for our forward line
    With respect, I don't see Heeney as a fill in for Rohan &/or Papley.

I see him as a potential match winner on the forward line, when it counts.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    I don't see Heeney as a fill in for Rohan &/or Papley
    Not sure where you got "fill in" from, I'm saying there is greater depth in our midfield than our forward line at the moment. He proved himself to be very potent in the brief stints he had in the midfield last year and that is where I see him in the long run as do most others

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I think if everyone was fit Heeney would be midfield but now with Rohan and Papley out he's more important for our forward line
    Forward line - OUT: Rohan, Papley; IN: K Jack, Florent

Midfield - OUT: K Jack, Mitchell; IN: Heeney, Jones

Agree with you, swansrob, except it's too early to make a call about whether Florent or someone else comes in. There are two more JLT games to view candidates and Florent, while probably the most talented of the options, is also the youngest and we may prefer a more mature option with a harder body and who knows our system and structures better, like Towers, Rose or BJ - whose future must be under question if they are not going to be considered ahead of Florent now. Other possibilities include Leonardis and Fox or even Fisher. Then again, if Florent plays the next two JLT games and does well, he could walk right in. He does have good fitness (I think a 15.1 beep test) but it's more his ability to remain focused and concentrated on the game for the whole four quarters that is in question.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Forward line - OUT: Rohan, Papley; IN: K Jack, Florent

Midfield - OUT: K Jack, Mitchell; IN: Heeney, Jones
    Who would you replace Heeney with (in the forward line), with his move to the midfield?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Who would you replace Heeney with (in the forward line), with his move to the midfield?
    Initially Parker, seeing as he is coming back from injury. I realise doesn't really answer your question properly though.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    He played midfield for most of the finals last year

The midfielders rotate forward anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Agree with you, swansrob, except it's too early to make a call about whether Florent or someone else comes in. There are two more JLT games to view candidates and Florent, while probably the most talented of the options, is also the youngest and we may prefer a more mature option with a harder body and who knows our system and structures better, like Towers, Rose or BJ - whose future must be under question if they are not going to be considered ahead of Florent now. Other possibilities include Leonardis and Fox or even Fisher. Then again, if Florent plays the next two JLT games and does well, he could walk right in. He does have good fitness (I think a 15.1 beep test) but it's more his ability to remain focused and concentrated on the game for the whole four quarters that is in question.
    Florent may have the speed and endurance but he does need some muscle - looks pretty scrawny against some of the seasoned bodies. Let him take his time to develop.

Given the injuries to Papley and Rohan, the Round 1 forward line will be: Tippett(rotating with Naismith), Franklin, Reid, Jack, rotating midfielder and one of Cunningham, Towers, Edwards, Rose, Florent or Fisher.

We typically play an extra behind the ball, so we have a 7 man defence and 5 man forward line. Some of those players named above will be fighting for the final spot or 2 in the season opener. Robinson and Foote are another couple in that group and Dawson might be as well if he's recovered from his unknown injury and plays on Friday. He was pictured in the background of the Playfair interview video on the Swans' website yesterday, so perhaps he's okay.

I have Talia, Aliir, Cunningham, Robbo and Newman in my 22 atm, with COR, Florent, Foote, Edwards and Laidler just missing out, but it's very close and tight for spots with so much depth in the squad this year.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526