Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To challenge for the Flag in 2017....

I would like to see Reid back in and Rohan playing as a wing / outside Midfielder, I still believe Rohan is our X factor if he can increase his consistency and become more involved. I dont believe there are major changes required just tweaks - IMHO outside speed was always going to be an issue for us 2016, for the majority of the year it didnt impact us until we played GWS and Dogs. Hopefully Rohan and Reid have huge injury free - preseasons (Reid allows Rohan to move to wing). As others state the improvement from 2 year + players will have a large bearing as well, but I really like the age / experience mix - plenty of older heads to keep all focused and lots of energy from newer guys. We should be close again all the expectation will be on GWS and Dogs.

Cheers

Waz

The losses from GF line up are Mitchell (and his cover has been assumed covered by Mills and Heeney); and XR (and his replacement is presumably Reid). Something else needed to release Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The losses from GF line up are Mitchell (and his cover has been assumed covered by Mills and Heeney); and XR (and his replacement is presumably Reid). Something else needed to release Rohan.
    And McGlynn

I expect our best 22 would be the GF team but Reid, Aliir and Newman in for XR, Mitchell and McGlynn.

Not quite a like for like swap but I agree Rohan on the wing in a Jetta-esque role would allow Reid to play forward, a far more natural 3rd tall than Rohan or XR.

Heeney/Mills to midfield for Mitchell, Newman would take Mills position in defence.
    Last edited by longmile; 4th December 2016 at 02:23 PM.

Jetta and Rohan seem to have a lot in common, their speed, x factor and inconsistency. However I rate Rohan higher cause he can play as a making forward and can actually tackle and play 2 way footy

Newman will likely take Laidlers spot in defence than Mills. Mills still doesn't have the body to spend big minutes in the midfield. Jack Maibaum might also make his way into the side in the back end of the season.

The area that most thought needed beefing up a couple of years back, KPDs, is now looking good, despite the loss of the Richards brothers. Grundy, Aliir, Talia, AJ, Maibaum and Melican gives us a lot depth in numbers, although there is much left to be done before the fate of most will be known. I'm optimistic about this group and think we might start the season with 3 KDs in Reg, Aliir and Talia, just to see how it goes. We can always drop back to 2 as Rampe has proven more than capable of playing on taller opponents, with Laidler and Marsh depth as 3rd tall in defence.

There is still a chance that rookie listed players might be able to play senior footy this year, irrespective of the LTIL rules, depending on the outcome of the CBA. Sentiment seems to be that if not 2017 then 2018. This would be a bonus for us with Shaun Edwards AFL ready and both Robbie Fox and Ben Ronke not far off. O'Riordon may be ahead of them all.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    To challenge for the flag in 2017 we need:
    (a) to make the grand final (we seem to be very good at this over the past 20 years); and
    (b) for the majority of our top tier players to actually play better than embarrassingly badly on the big day. This has been our area of weakness in the past 2 GFs.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

We simply lacked someone to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck this year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We simply lacked someone to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck this year.
    Not entirely true. JPK did his best. We just needed more than one.

I am in the camp that the early injury to Buddy was the most significant factor in the game. The team shouldn't be so reliant on any one player, but he's no ordinary player and brings others into the game like few others can. He was obviously hampered, and we had no-one else in the forward line with sufficient experience to readjust as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Other than the umpires you mean?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Cloke will be a valuable player in their 2's lineup.
    Haha.
    And throw their team balance out!!

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    A plan to manage the performance of umpires including:

- Developing closer relationships
    - Promoting umpires from outside Victoria
    - Use of the media to make sure umpires are accountable on game day. For example leading up to the grand final the media should have been red hot on Footscrays throwing of the ball and going in low. If they had been and Footscray was penalised when is should have been I believe the Swans would have been premiers.
    I have spent 3 months trying to forget that performance by the umpires only to have it realised so accurately again here.

It was appalling but I don't think we win unless we kick more goals in the first half. They were stronger towards the end of the game but that was in due in no small part to their support both on and off the field.

In respect of the actual thread, there is so much to look forward to:

1. AJ's return, even into the reserves will be a highlight for me.
    2. Sam Reid fit and firing.
    3. Nick Newman earning a spot in the seniors.
    4. The continuing development of the 2016 debutantes.
    5. Heeney and Mills move to the mid-field.

In a less positive mood,

1. Can Rohan realise his potential in a big game?
    2. Will Reg get the recognition he deserves?
    3. Can Tippett see out a season?
    4. A home final against GWS at the SCG.
    5. Hawthorn finishing 9th.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123