Page 102 of 267 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,213 to 1,224 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Anyone thinking about trading Aliir should watch this video: http://www.espn.com/core/video/ifram...&endcard=false
    Great piece and a bit moving at the end....I wish his father was still around to see his success. What a life.......all power to him and yes, he'll stay. I certainly hope so.

I want Aliir to succeed and I think that the Swans is the best place for him to get success.

Next year is a massive one for Aliir, certainly with the Swans it will determine if he stays on the list I believe.

I normally don't like Kingy's analysis but this article probably explains in a practical sense why Aliir was dropped and perhaps why he hasn't been recalled.

AFL: Sydney Swans defender Aliir Aliir dropped, David King says John Longmire had earned right to drop defender, despite injuries | Fox Sports

Thanks MP - that's a very interesting (and I suspect perceptive) article. I like that Longmire quote re Melican having a good combination of when to defend and when to go for his marks.

Like others I want Aliir to succeed. In the reserves under Rhyce Shaw's tutelage I think/hope this will happen.

Veterans List
    Can we please stop any talk of Reg retiring, he's in great form, may not be fashionable but a great reader of the play, intercept marks, takes on the gorillas, calm etc. Doesn't show any sign of getting past it.

Anyone thinking about trading Aliir should watch this video: http://www.espn.com/core/video/ifram...&endcard=false
    How on earth is that relevant? It's 100% irrelevant. Just because a player has a unique background is no reason to keep a player.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    I genuinely hope that Aliir can return to senior football from the start of next year and take over from Reg as quickly as possible.
    He won't take over from Reg. They're completely different players. Maibaum will have that Job. Aliir will need to play second fiddle to Melican. Hopefully with a full preseason under his belt he will make his own position as a floating defender. ATM he doesn't have the accountability to go one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Can we please stop any talk of Reg retiring, he's in great form, may not be fashionable but a great reader of the play, intercept marks, takes on the gorillas, calm etc. Doesn't show any sign of getting past it.
    Grundy has Proven me wrong. After 2014 I thought that he had about two seasons left. Maybe because I viewed him and Ted as being two years apart, but he is still proving to be our Leo Barry of the back half. He never gets injured and when he was off the ground for ten minutes last week we really struggled. He's got a couple of seasons still in him I think. Hopefully Maibum will be ready to replace him by then.

I think Grundy will be hard to replace.

It won't be easy for Maiburn or Melican to have to play on the biggest and strongest forward every week.

It might be good to draft a key position defender earlier than usual so we have a few defenders developing.

For me, with our list currently, we could do well in picking up an established key defender in the next year or 2.
    Just don't see anyone growing in to Grundy's frame in that time.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    How on earth is that relevant? It's 100% irrelevant. Just because a player has a unique background is no reason to keep a player.
    His background is not unique. There are millions of people living in refuge camps today. But his background is relevant to his character. You can draw your own conclusions about the kind of person he is and whether he's someone we would want at the Swans.

His background is not unique. There are millions of people living in refuge camps today. But his background is relevant to his character. You can draw your own conclusions about the kind of person he is and whether he's someone we would want at the Swans.
    That's true, but there are loads of people with good character, and you wouldn't play all of them as a KPD. I think the point that S.S.B was trying to make was that despite his story, he needs to have the football ability to break into the side. Without the ability, it doesn't matter how good a bloke he is.
    But if he's a good footy player, we'd obviously rather have someone of his character than someone of equal ability with more questionable character.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    That's true, but there are loads of people with good character, and you wouldn't play all of them as a KPD. I think the point that S.S.B was trying to make was that despite his story, he needs to have the football ability to break into the side. Without the ability, it doesn't matter how good a bloke he is.
    But if he's a good footy player, we'd obviously rather have someone of his character than someone of equal ability with more questionable character.
    Neatly clarified.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)