Page 104 of 267 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,237 to 1,248 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Having said all that I'm a little confused as I thought part of the SJ to GWS deal was that he would take up a coaching role with them after retirement from playing
    Yeah, I thought that was the deal. Johnson moving to Sydney would be a bit like Sam Mitchell joining the Freo coaching panel for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was the deal. Johnson moving to Sydney would be a bit like Sam Mitchell joining the Freo coaching panel for next season.
    Or Jarrad McVeigh joining the Giants next year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Wash your mouth out!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not really the same. Mitchell we know was lured to West Coast to kick start a post-retirement coaching career. I don't think Johnson's situation was quite as clearly stated but it was a reasonable presumption to be made. A retired player (eg McVeigh) going to another club isn't really the same thing.

Senior Player
    We could do worse than having Jarrad AND Steve J as part of our coaching ranks next year.... they both know their stuff.
    But you'd expect them to both stay with their current teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    With the proviso that this is coming from SEN, rumour this morning of Steve Johnson coming to the Swans as a coach. Thoughts?

Swans to add star to coaching ranks?

Breakfast co-host Garry Lyon hinted Johnson�s coaching career could kick off with cross-town rival Sydney. �I heard that maybe the Sydney Swans are great fans of his footy mind and Tom Harley will be well aware of that,� he said.
    Apparently he plays alot of Golf with Macca and some of the other Sydney boys so wouldn't surprise me!

I know this is bad but I'd quite like Carlton to get first pick in the PSD and get Kelly for nothing from GWS

1. I agree fresh blood in the coaching ranks is a good idea but I'm not partial to Stevie J coming to the Swans and I think we can do better. However, the Harley connection makes me a tad nervous. I guess ultimately, as usual, I trust the club to make the right decisions. Certainly Stevie J has been a marvellous and talented player and I would have liked him even more if he had played for us.

2. It is easier to see Macca going to coach at the Giants, particularly if we are not willing to give him a job. I don't especially think we should give him a job (assuming he retires and wants a job in coaching) because, as I say, I think we are better served by fresh blood. We could hope for him to develop elsewhere under other coaches and return to us down the track the better for it, like Kirky going to Freo under Lyon. The Giants on the other hand have done some canny recruiting from Lenny Hayes to Nick Maxwell and even (in a non-coaching role) Emma Quayle. So I can see them being interested in Macca. And for Macca it has the benefit of him not having to relocate interstate.

3. Some people have continued to raise the possibility of Tippett being traded elsewhere. I can't see that happening. Afl.com.au has confirmed what we thought we knew (even though I don't think it was ever announced on sydneyswans.com.au): that Tippett's contract has been extended until 2020. My understanding was that he agreed to take a substantial cut to his pay in order to extend his contract. In these circumstances it would be odd for us to trade him. More to the point, we CAN'T trade him without his consent and why would he have entered an agreement for lower pay with us if he didn't want to stay? I can't see him going anywhere. For better or worse, for another 3 seasons after this one, he's ours. If he can stay injury-free and play to his potential, we'll be doing very well. (I know it's a big IF.) This also means, along with Reid, we have some depth in the KPF position where we're a little thin while we wait for the next generation to arrive (be they Pink, Blakey, Cameron or whoever). I'm not expecting Maibaum to be the answer in our front half. But stranger things have happened. I like the fact that, despite his wage, we're not feeling compelled to play Tippett in the senior team unless his form warrants it. Still, you would think that it creates some pressure for us to play him as an extra tall in the medium term if not the short term: i.e. Naismith, Buddy, Reid and Tippo with Sinclair and Cameron breathing down their necks and providing, as a minimum, injury back-up. Recently, Sinclair's form has been better than Tippett's and so he has deserved selection ahead of Tippett.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    We could do worse than having Jarrad AND Steve J as part of our coaching ranks next year.... they both know their stuff.
    But you'd expect them to both stay with their current teams.
    I personally don't like the idea of recruiting coaches (well a significant % of your coaching team) from within your club. I think it's preferable that at least some of our coaches have been in external organisations to broaden our knowledge base. It would be better for everyone concerned if they effectively swapped clubs in their move into coaching next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree on Pink. After a really good start, he had a spell where he hardly touched it, but he seems to have picked back up. He has impressive athletic qualities: quick and applies good pressure for a big man, decent contested grab, good set shot and impressive touch at ground level. I agree with a comment liz made a while ago (or at least this is what I took from it) that he is not the most assertive player and hasn't shown much mongrel, but that could be built with some on-field success.

I disagree re Talia, though. He has good physical attributes but a poor attitude. Delist.
    Thanks for your comments, MattW. I'm heartened to know you like Pink because you are one of a few posters (liz, ernie koala and O'Reilly Boy are others) whose opinion on footy matters I especially respect.

I'm not really going in to bat for Talia. I wasn't taking issue with him being de-listed so much as the "definitely". I feel like we don't have much "visibility" (to use a vogue bit of afl-speak) on the club's attitude towards him (except noting he hasn't been selected since R1 2016) and he's one body who could step in for Reg if Reg succumbed to injury. With Melican's rapid development this year, he may be able to do that now in case of emergency with other players (Marsh, Aliir, Laidler) available to help out in the 2nd and 3rd defender spots. Hence very possibly delist just not "definitely" with the limited information available.

Veterans List
    How handy would Nankervis be right now. Always thought he would be more resilient than Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I know this is bad but I'd quite like Carlton to get first pick in the PSD and get Kelly for nothing from GWS
    No (true) swans wants to see southern clubs rape and pillage NSW and QLD clubs ever again.