Page 13 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veteran Site Admin
    If Jones wants to maximise the dollar value of his next contract, we'll lose him. There will be several clubs with the capacity to pay him more than the Swans can. Will depend on what his priorities are, and how satisfied he is living in Sydney.

Everyone is also saying that the Saints will get Fyfe. There goes that salary cap. Richmond will need to make a big contract offer to keep Dusty. What they really need is another forward. They will surely enquire about Reid, but I think Reid's family situation is more than likely to keep him in Sydney. Zak seems like a very passionate and loyal person and I think he will accept any reasonable offer from the Swans. He's not a free agent, so another club has to offer up something that's acceptable to us. You would think Jones would be the top priority for Tom Harley. It's not often the Swans lose a player they want to keep.

We need a more coordinated effort for the ladies of Sydney to cast a spell over (sink their claws into) the required players. Time to take one for the team.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

If anyone thinks there will be some bidding war for Zak, if he decides to leave, will be seriously disappointed. In days gone by yes but not anymore. If Zak decides to leave he chooses his club n then it's up to Sydney to get the best possible outcome for the club. e.g. Mitchell chose hawthorn n then we spoke to them about a suitable trade.

Whilst I agree he is required I think his open market value is overstated
    Mitchell got reportedly $700K over 5 yrs and Jones isn't at that level of consistency yet, same as what Treloar got.
    I love the kid but he hasn't shown that level yet

I reckon he should/will get a 3 yr deal around 500K/year then demand a big contract at 25/26 yrs of age if he continues his trajectory

I'm sure they're looking at the situation involving Tippett coming off contract at the end of next year, and possibly back-ending a contract offer. We also have Macca coming off contract, and at 32 is definitely winding down. I think there's room to sign him, and we're in a much different situation than we were at the end of 2016 with Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Whilst I agree he is required I think his open market value is overstated
    Mitchell got reportedly $700K over 5 yrs and Jones isn't at that level of consistency yet, same as what Treloar got.
    I love the kid but he hasn't shown that level yet

I reckon he should/will get a 3 yr deal around 500K/year then demand a big contract at 25/26 yrs of age if he continues his trajectory
    Market value is a rubbery notion at the moment, it's really based on what someone is prepared to pay and the future expectation of the player in question.

Personally I think that by the end of the season that Zak should be on at least the same money as Mitchell who is a one dimensional one paced ball magnet whereas Jones has the potential to be a genuine match winner.

Time to start a dedicated thread re this methinks

Veterans List
    Our next generation midfield is Jones, Heeney and Mills. Have to keep Jones.

Sam Reid and Zak Jones

Like all Swans fans I'm nervous about both of these players coming off contract.

I've got some form calling Jetta and Mitchell early as leavers and whilst I'm not at that stage yet I have a bad feeling in my bones.

Personally I don't think we can afford to re-sign both and it may be possible, in this crazy player market with clubs like St Kilda and Norf massively cashed up with their cap, that we may choose to let both leave if we believe the offers are overs.

My gut is that Zak is as good as gone. He is a Melbourne boy through and through, he has his big bro there and even if they don't play on the same team I see the lure of a home town return, an extra $200,000 a year plus in salary and a better chance of a flag at the Saints as almost impossible to turn down. He also has massive upside as he is an explosive player that is hard to find. If I was St Kilda I'd leave Nat Fyfe alone, he's from all reports a difficult character highly unpopular at Freo in the dressing room, and I'd take Zak with their first pick and keep the Pick 1-5 they get from the Hawks for another elite draftee.

Sam I think is much more likely to stay. He is more established in Sydney, he has a Sydney fianc�e who has her own career here and he has a lovely house etc etc. He may be able to get a bit more in Melbourne but I just feel we'll get close enough there to close the deal. Having said that, if either of these guys is still un-signed after the Bye going into July we should be very concerned.

As for what they would be worth, I agree with a poster on the other thread that bidding wars don't exist any more but a sought after player will extract a fair bid and a pick around 10 would be fair for Zak I believe. I cannot understand the RFA comp but surely an early second round pick would be the bare minimum for Sam.

The next question that begs to be asked is that, given our current situation, whether losing both would be such a bad thing? It clearly is preferable to keep both but I won't be slashing my wrists if we lose both and go into next years draft with draft picks of, for example, 5,10,23,24 and 42.

I personally think we are out the Flag window for at least three years now. We took a gamble with Tippett and Buddy soaking up so much space and hoped we'd get one flag out of it. It failed but I still think it was worth the effort. Now we need to rebuild. Five quality draft picks this year, including two elite, added to this years class of Florent, Hayward, Maubain and Cameron (who I all think will be 100 gamers) coupled with Mills and Heeney and the likely drafting of Nick Blakey the year after really would see us lined up in 2020 (when Heeney will still only be 24) with one of the best young lists in the comp. Also by this time Buddy will be into the 7th year of his contract with years 8 and 9 tailing off and taking up much less cap space.

It's why I think we'll try and re-sign these two but not at any cost.

Definitely see Jones as a better option then Mitchell
    Im sure we could throw 550k at him to satisfy
    If you are talking 600-700K we could get just about any up and coming mid, we could raid GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Our next generation midfield is Jones, Heeney and Mills. Have to keep Jones.
    We may not have that choice....

I think the Swans should hire a stats guy and "moneyball" the team. Take the emotion out of the equation and trade players based purely on data. Find players that are under-valued and get rid of over-valued players like Tippett. Pick players that are strong in key areas where the team is weak. Sort of like what this soccer team did: