Page 15 of 267 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    If it was a choice of Jones or Reid, for me the choice is easy. Jones every day of the week. This is an early call and some may call me crazy, but he reminds a lot of Chris Judd at West Coast. He possesses a combination of speed, acceleration, agility and core strength. These attributes give him the ability to receive the ball in traffic, then break free from or weave around opponents, allowing him to dispose in open space which is damaging to opposition teams. It gets their defences on the back foot. We saw that a number of times on Sunday. Many have said that it was a breakout game for him. And i agree. Though not surprised. I believe he will be an elite player in the league within a year or two.

Reid on the other hand, IMO, doesn't provide the consistent goal threat that he is being paid for. And i highlight consistently. He often goes 3 or 4 games without kicking a goal. Sure he brings other attributes to the team, but i would have thought he is being paid very well to kick goals. His career average is 1 goal per game. Some midfielders can average that. In fact Luke Parker has kicked more goals than him (+1 Goal/+29 games). I have hopes that Dawson or Cameron could achieve those numbers and take up a lot less cap space. Just my opinion.
    I would love to think he'll develop into a new Judd (big call considering him being an all time great), I don't think he's anywhere near the contested ball beast Judd was or can win his own ball like Judd had the ability to do.

I think he's just starting to realise he belongs at this level and the more confidence he gets the better he's getting! His explosive pace is certainly Judd like and his long kicking on the run is similar too. I must agree that he is a very important player for us to hold onto as his pace is something our other mids lack.

I'm excited to see how he continues to develop this year and if he can continue to take games by the scruff of the neck similar to this one! I would love to see him have a few 30 plus possession games and show that he can be a ball magnet also like Judd was in his prime.

Fingers crossed that he keeps up his good form and then lifts it to a whole new level! But I hope we can land his signature to a long term deal first! ????

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Gerard Healy's normally a pretty good judge of the market. Last night on 3AW he valued Jones at $600k p.a. which I think is about right, especially given his compatibility with today's game style. We will probably need to come up with another $300k p.a.
    I just think that if he is commanding that cash, there are plenty of examples on other lists where $500K gets you quality
    If JJ is demanding $700K, Jones isn't in the same league yet

Also Jones needs to be weary of Jed Lamb/Lewis Jetta Syndrome...... "You never know what you have until its gone"

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I just think that if he is commanding that cash, there are plenty of examples on other lists where $500K gets you quality
    If JJ is demanding $700K, Jones isn't in the same league yet

Also Jones needs to be weary of Jed Lamb/Lewis Jetta Syndrome...... "You never know what you have until its gone"
    I think Jones showed on Sunday he's going to be one of our most important players for years to come. We currently have no other player with his speed and ability in traffic. And he uses the ball well unlike some of the other midfield "bulls" going around. I think he's got more potential than JJ. The sooner we sign him up the better as he's going to get more expensive week by week.

I think he is going to be a great player and I hope we keep him but my point is he isn't the best player in the league that we could get at a reported $600K

JJ is miles ahead, he breaks lines every play and is tagged hard. Jones can maybe get there but he hasn't had to do it under the attention JJ has had yet

If its a choice between Reid and Jones we should keep Jones, he is a game breaker. For all the promise and occasional top level games Reid has never been a game breaker. No point having a ball hungry midfield if we can't use it effectively. This is what we have been lacking for sometime. At their best Kennedy, Hanners and Parker gets us lots of ball. We need to capitalise on that.

On the veteran's list
    I think no re-signings will be done until the new TPP are released

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Gerard Healy's normally a pretty good judge of the market. Last night on 3AW he valued Jones at $600k p.a. which I think is about right, especially given his compatibility with today's game style. We will probably need to come up with another $300k p.a.
    I think $600 per year will have to be the figure, that might keep him?. Its a worry when David King says" Good luck to the Swans on trying stop him moving to Victoria next year"

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I think $600 per year will have to be the figure, that might keep him?. Its a worry when David King says" Good luck to the Swans on trying stop him moving to Victoria next year"
    The main worry is that King is still permitted to voice his opinions and that people listen to them

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    He's not a free agent so the swans could make it difficult for him to get to his club of choice if a suitable deal could not be done. Unless of course his club of choice was a bottom club like north. Which could be a disaster for us if a deal could not be done and he entered the draft. Maybe that is where king is getting his intel. Possibly they have gone cold on Kelly and are now going to throw a long term big money deal at Jones.

St Kilda from all reports have an absolute warchest to spend on new signings. They have front loaded many existing contracts and will be able to spend 105% of the cap in 2018 (about an extra $700,000) due to going under in 2016.

If I was St Kilda I'd be going two for the price of one and I'd ignore Fyfe. But they'll have a pick in the top 5 from the Hawks and a pick around 10-12 for their own pick. If I was them I'd be going for Schache and Zak Jones for those picks, both very very good kids with up to 10 years footy left in them. They'd add immediate bite to the list too.

Warming the Bench
    Jones may well want to move back to Melbourne too. He's playing very well but as long as we get appropriate compensation I won't mind seeing him go

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    He's not a free agent so the swans could make it difficult for him to get to his club of choice if a suitable deal could not be done. Unless of course his club of choice was a bottom club like north. Which could be a disaster for us if a deal could not be done and he entered the draft. Maybe that is where king is getting his intel. Possibly they have gone cold on Kelly and are now going to throw a long term big money deal at Jones.
    In this day and age players out of contract (unlike the Gibbs situation where he was under contract) will virtually always go to their club of choice and a deal is done that is regarded as fair.

I can't see why we won't be able to go to $600K, which is what I reckon he is worth. McVeigh is off at season end and he'd be on decent cash and off course Tippett is mercifully off our wages bill at the end of next season.

It's just a matter of whether a club like St Kilda or North, who have huge salary cap space, are prepared to make an offer in excess of market value we cannot compete with. And I just have a feeling that in these crazy times that there will be such an offer made

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Jones may well want to move back to Melbourne too. He's playing very well but as long as we get appropriate compensation I won't mind seeing him go
    He's definitely worth close to a top 10 draft pick.

All this does illustrate why we want to start building a home grown list as soon as possible