Page 237 of 267 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247 ... LastLast
Results 2,833 to 2,844 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

I don't think you can seriously expect a Key forward at pick 51. I'd concentrate on the first two and worry about a key forward next year.

Some decent KPFs taken late out of current players. I'm sure others can supply other examples from times gone by:

Ben Brown pick 47, 2013
    Josh Jenkins pick 12, 2010 rookie draft
    Justin Westhoff, pick 71 2006
    Taylor Walker, pick 75 2007 (but some shenanigans here as he was a zone selection I think)

Maybe he can be turned into a KPD as much as a KPF. He's bigger than Melican or Maibaum and also quicker and more agile.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't think you can seriously expect a Key forward at pick 51. I'd concentrate on the first two and worry about a key forward next year.
    A fantastic post last year on BF by Swansfan 51 who put a heap of research into what type of players are hardest to find in the draft. A basic summary was
    No.1 KPF
    No.2 Daylight
    No.3 Mids

He had a list of all the significant KPF over about the last 12 or so years and all of them were high draft picks except for the ones drafted by Shenanigans like F/S, Zone selections, GC & GWS start up concessions etc. There were almost none outside the first round.

KPD however seemed to be picked up anywhere from mid draft to rookies. If you go through the best KPD, it's amazing how many were late draftees as opposed to the absolute dearth of KPF mid to late.

So the rock solid evidence is only draft KPF if you have a high draft pick, KPD & ruckman can be had cheap to very cheap, probably why clubs take best available early and why KPF command so much salary.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Some decent KPFs taken late out of current players. I'm sure others can supply other examples from times gone by:

Ben Brown pick 47, 2013
    Josh Jenkins pick 12, 2010 rookie draft
    Justin Westhoff, pick 71 2006
    Taylor Walker, pick 75 2007 (but some shenanigans here as he was a zone selection I think)

Maybe he can be turned into a KPD as much as a KPF. He's bigger than Melican or Maibaum and also quicker and more agile.
    Think the sparse list you posted actually defeats your assumption that decent KPF can be taken late. Brown is a surprise packet drafted as a ruck from memory, Jenkins you can discount as he was a project basketball convert, Westhoff is hardly KP and Walker is indeed a shenanigans pick tied to Crows through the old Scholarship scheme.

If you think how many KPF have been tried from late in the draft over the last decade, that's an absolute piddle poor strike rate. As I said in my previous post, Only draft a KPF if you are using a high pick.

Senior Player
    The way the game is heading why bother drafting a KPF at all? Just draft best available mids/utilities

Tiges won with Reiwoldt playing solo and the Dogs with Zaine Cordy and Tom Boyd (who despite his high draft status is an ordinary forward)

The true KPF has gone from game. A lot to clubs ended up taking a few in recent years with high draft picks without understanding the changing landscape. But that doesn't mean that tall forwards are gone from the game. Athletic talls like Joe Daniher and Jeremy Cameron are more in the mould of the modern forward. Buddy Franklin is a freak, so it's not fair to use him as the model forward, but Sam Reid fits into the mix with his ability to play several positions. Someone like Barry Hall would still be a star, because he wasn't only strong, but also very athletic.

Multi-position tall utilities like Brander and Balta are very handy players to have on a team list. Tall players will still be part of the game, but they will be more athletic than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    A fantastic post last year on BF by Swansfan 51 who put a heap of research into what type of players are hardest to find in the draft. A basic summary was
    No.1 KPF
    No.2 Daylight
    No.3 Mids

He had a list of all the significant KPF over about the last 12 or so years and all of them were high draft picks except for the ones drafted by Shenanigans like F/S, Zone selections, GC & GWS start up concessions etc. There were almost none outside the first round.

KPD however seemed to be picked up anywhere from mid draft to rookies. If you go through the best KPD, it's amazing how many were late draftees as opposed to the absolute dearth of KPF mid to late.

So the rock solid evidence is only draft KPF if you have a high draft pick, KPD & ruckman can be had cheap to very cheap, probably why clubs take best available early and why KPF command so much salary.
    Flipsidr is that the cost of failure for crappy rnd 1 kpf is high given alternative is a premium mid. I give you paddy mccartin.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Absolutely. If we are getting Blakey next year there is no need for another KPD in this years draft, especially one that is at the tail end of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The way the game is heading why bother drafting a KPF at all? Just draft best available mids/utilities

Tiges won with Reiwoldt playing solo and the Dogs with Zaine Cordy and Tom Boyd (who despite his high draft status is an ordinary forward)
    KPFs still have a place provided they; 1) are mobile, and 2) apply defensive pressure.

Josh Kennedy WA
    Pick 4 draft 2005

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Josh Kennedy WA
    Pick 4 draft 2005
    What is this comment relevant to?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Josh Kennedy WA
    Pick 4 draft 2005
    Not sure what this post means but I'll raise you pick 5 draft 2004 Lance Franklin