Page 243 of 267 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 2,905 to 2,916 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Afl.com.au have belatedly gotten their 'Draft Machine' up and running: Draft Machine - AFL.com.au. It's excellent in that it gives you vision of most draft prospects. Unsurprisingly most of the nominees look pretty good based on their highlights. A pity they didn't post it sooner but at least it's before the draft!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    You have 242 pages to read...
    That won't shed any light on the two questions!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    HS article stating Longmire in Melbourne tomorrow to visit Lachlan Fogarty and Jack Higgins

This appears to be the most unpredictable draft in ages. Outside of the top 5 feels like anyone could go anywhere. SEN Brett Anderson's 2017 AFL Mock Draft have us taking O�Brien and Houlahan, which would be almost a carbon copy of last year.
    Maybe Beatson was being honest when he said we�d pick best available talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    HS article stating Longmire in Melbourne tomorrow to visit Lachlan Fogarty and Jack Higgins
    Lots of Phantom drafts show Fogarty being taken at 15 by the Lions to pair up with Rayner at 1. Higgins seems like he�d be a pretty solid pick... if he made it to 14.

Tadgh Kennelly on Fox saying the Swans �aren�t going to change a whole lot� in terms of gameplan next year. Hmmm

Lachlan Fogarty seems to have moved up the rankings lately and Higgins may slip to 14 as others move higher up the order. Ed Richards is also being talked about as a possible top 10 pick, which would make him a big late season bolter. I would't mind any of those 3. They are quite similar in many ways, particularly Fogarty and Higgins. All 3 have the kind of game that should be successful at AFL level. Brander and Balta looked to have slipped down the rankings.

I think when we took Hayward and Florent it was an indication of the type of skillset we were looking for. Fogarty and Higgins would be similar in that regard. Richmond showed that small quick players willing to pressure across the ground can win you a premiership. I think Longmire likes that kind of game plan, but we haven't had the quickness and skills to quite pull it off. You can be a hard contested footy team will speed and skills as well. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Bailey Morrish is a player I hope we are looking at for our rookie draft. A good kicking HBF, he surprisingly missed out in last year's draft despite most pundits expecting him to be taken in the ND. Brett Anderson had him ranked 39 last year in a stronger draft than this year. He was a player I was interested in for our 3rd or 4th pick last year. He's still playing for the Dandenong Stingrays and apparently having a pretty good year. We seem to have done well with 19 yo overlooked players in Jake Lloyd, Tom Papley and Ben Ronke.

Very interesting interview with Kinnear Beatson outlining what Swans look for in draftees. Inside recruiting: Kinnear Beatson - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Very interesting interview with Kinnear Beatson outlining what Swans look for in draftees. Inside recruiting: Kinnear Beatson - sydneyswans.com.au
    Amazing. I'd lost all hope of the media reporting anything worthwhile prior to the draft. KB is a legend - love the insight in this article. Glad he is on our staff. It makes me realise that even though a little part of me wanted Watts to be a Swan, that was never going to happen with some of the attributes the Swans look for.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    That is perhaps the best interview I have read on its subject. Good probing questions, solid and substantial answers giving an insight into how the system, and the individuals in it, go about their work. Outstanding, and excellent journalism.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Just the best explanation of the "ducks guts" of recruiting I've read. It's a must read.

Makes you realise that no matter what the names are that get read out at 14, 33, 51, the player will have ticked all the boxes that the Swans deem necessary. Also makes you think about last years recruits, they ticked these boxes as well.

Also gives an understanding of why media hyped players sometimes tumble down and down the draft board until people declare that player a steal at pick x. All too often those talented steals don't make it. Full confidence in KB & team to call the best name at each pick.

Senior Player
    Great article amongst the puff pieces at this time of year!!
    C'mon Chels!