Page 263 of 267 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267 LastLast
Results 3,145 to 3,156 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Baker = Brown

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Ludwig, please refresh my memory. What injury does McVeigh have at the moment?
    McVeigh is too good for the reserves, but I couldn't find a spot for him in the seniors so I thought I'd be diplomatic and put him on the injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I assume Baker is a toppie from somewhere!
    Since Oskar Baker got drafted it kept running through my mind how much better it would sound if he swapped names with Jake Brown, so we'd have Jake Baker and Oskar Brown. Now it's stuck in my head like a bad song. It's my Sweet Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's at least fared better than Naismith, who appears to have evaporated into the ether.
    Sam has been 5 years with the club, can you believe. I think only the 1st to 4th year players are back training. Or is he actually on the missing persons list?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    He's not a done deal, would think he won't make up his mind until much closer to the nomination date.

Both the KPF we drafted are speculative, we could easily add another in Blakey and still not have too many.

On the comment about Pies recruiting, they have had an undefined recruiting strategy for some time but not recruiting KP players this year (again) might be because they seem buoyant about getting GC Tom Lynch as a FA next year to solve their lack of talls. He is a RFA so will cost them squillions though.
    Collingwood has also been hindered by the instability in the List Manager position. They've had so many over the last few years that the strategic approach to their recruiting has constantly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Collingwood has also been hindered by the instability in the List Manager position. They've had so many over the last few years that the strategic approach to their recruiting has constantly changed.
    Hasn't Derek Hine been their chief recruiter for some time?

Styles looks not dissimilar to Ling and Stoddart in terms of the roles they might play - ie athletic, good movers, good ball users but essentially receivers rather than contested ball winners, at least at this stage. With COR also just given a two year contract, it looks like the NEAFL half-back flanks could be as crowded as the forward line next year.
    All three can move into the mids. But Ling I think will start on a wing anyway. Stoddart is a kick in player like Lloydy but quicker. Styles is a line breaker. All have a good side step and balance.

I think Pink is valuable but not in the ruck. He just lacks height in the ruck and it has affected his forward game. Late in the season when he was allowed to just play forward he was good, really good. A pity he couldn't kick straight. McCartin seems to be a FF/CHF the same as Toby but reports are he has played defence as well. McCartin, like Pink, is very mobile and not at all like his brother who is more lumbering. He takes a very good mark and floats a bit like Reid. His kicking can be erratic, just like Sammy too. But I'm sure once Plugger gets hold of him things will change. As they say get 'em young and teach 'em tricks. He could learn a lot of tricks from Plugger as well as Buddy. Imagine how the kid must feel. He comes here and will train with and get advice from the greatest player to ever play the game and be coached by the greatest full forward ever.

Contrary to popular opinion, I give Ling, Stoddart, or Styles a real chance of cracking our team next year. There has been an obvious admission via this draft that we need to add speed and skill from the back half. McVeigh might play 10 games tops. I think Ling (most likely), Stoddart, and Styles will get 10 games between them also.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Hasn't Derek Hine been their chief recruiter for some time?
    He's been in charge of list management for a decade or more but not recruiting. If you recall, Buckley blamed the recruitment of Mayne (and maybe Wells) on the fact that that they had a stand in recruitment manager at the club last year?

Veterans List
    AFL.com write up on our top 5 Academy prospects for next year

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-2...keep-an-eye-on
    Last edited by liz; 30th November 2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Please don't repost content from other sites. Just prorivde a link to where the article can be found

Veterans List
    Interesting article here: Adelaide's 2018 list is one for the ages - AFL.com.au regarding the average age of each club's list, we are middlish but what I found more interesting was the 'summary' chart at the bottom of the article with the extreme right column titled "Players from other Clubs". The overall average was 10 on each club's list are from another club. Carlton had the most at 19! Others were Adelaide 10, Geelong 10, Hawthorn 11, Port Adelaide 13, Tigers 8. The Swans.....4, the club with the least number of players from other clubs. Gee, we're bloody good!

What happened to an indigenous kid called Shayden Close who was highly rated as a junior ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    What happened to an indigenous kid called Shayden Close who was highly rated as a junior ?
    He played at U16 level last season (ie 2016), which means that the earliest he could be eligible to be drafted is 2018. He might be younger than that - ie he could have been playing in the U16 team as a 15 year old.

Maybe one those posters in the know about the academy prospects could update us on the next crop coming through, beyond Blakey. The "five to watch" list provided by the AFL website contained a majority of players who will be overage next year (ie they were eligible to be drafted in last week's draft).

Veterans List
    He played at U16 level last season (ie 2016), which means that the earliest he could be eligible to be drafted is 2018. He might be younger than that - ie he could have been playing in the U16 team as a 15 year old.

Maybe one those posters in the know about the academy prospects could update us on the next crop coming through, beyond Blakey. The "five to watch" list provided by the AFL website contained a majority of players who will be overage next year (ie they were eligible to be drafted in last week's draft).
    Means that next years crop, other than Blakey, is thin. Looks like Heeney and Mills really were outliers.