Page 52 of 267 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Agree that the rookies should be paid the same as later round draft picks.

And I like the fact now their opportunities aren't restricted which does beg the question, why have the rookie draft at all? I assume that rookie salaries are still exempt from the TPP and limited to the CBA amount so maybe it was to stop clubs stockpiling in the rookie lists. It's all I can think of.

Re the issue that 707 rightly pointed out re the greater uncertainty of later picks, surely that could be accommodated by draft picks from round six being on one year deals with the clubs having a second year option at their discretion
    I'm just surprised the organisation that is supposed to represent the players, the AFLPA, did not pick up on this. The Rookie draft is relevant for Cat B rookies.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    No as I've pointed out regularly Cat A rookie players are just like last round draftees and perform the same training & preparation and now can play senior footy just like a senior listed player and as I have said numerous times should be paid accordingly as I have stated numerous times, the same as the last round draftees. They are rookies by name only. The cellist argument is a strawman argument.
    And how is their preparation different to first and second round draftees?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And how is their preparation different to first and second round draftees?
    It's not. Are you advocating they be paid the same as 1st or 2nd round draftees? I'm not but I am saying they are exactly the same as a main list player n should be treated accordingly which imo means they should should be part of the main list and paid the same as a 6th round drafted.

The whole point is that 'main list' players aren't treated the same either. It's a sliding scale and the rookies are a little further along the scale than the late ND picks.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The whole point is that 'main list' players aren't treated the same either. It's a sliding scale and the rookies are a little further along the scale than the late ND picks.
    Cat A rookies now are basically 'main listed' players now. They are rookies by name only. Your point is 100% correct for Cat B rookies imo. And your point about 'main listed' players not getting treated the same is true and that's why I have said several times Cat A rookies should be treated as round 6 draftees and be getting paid what they get paid per year.

I'll also say this was an opportunity for a win- win for club and rookie. ATM you can only retain 3 of your 6 Cat A rookies at the end of each year. If for example they are added to the 'main list' if you see potential in more than 3 of them you can retain 4,5 or 6 of them. The TPP went up by 20% giving clubs plenty of spare money for them to be added to the 'main list'.

Rookie list - Wikipedia

Veterans List
    Maybe we can agree to disagree on what rookies should be paid and return the thread to hypotheticals in the trade period and drafts?

Just saying because no amount of argument from either side is going to change minds nor will it change what is actually happening to pay rates, they are what they are.

So, back to working out how we get Dustin Martin to the Swans .......

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So, back to working out how we get Dustin Martin to the Swans .......
    We don't. We don't need him. We don't want him. We can't afford him. Much better ways to spend our money. If we had that much to spend I'd rather be looking at KPPs.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    We don't. We don't need him. We don't want him. We can't afford him. Much better ways to spend our money. If we had that much to spend I'd rather be looking at KPPs.
    Totally agree.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Well it has been a week and neither Jones or Reid has signed and no signs of a change. There is no extra or new money to allocate to either. We might lose both but most likely getting just one, but which one?

On the basis that McVeigh will retire (maybe) or I don't think we have any others and only delists of players on minimal wages.

The only other option I can think of (to get both to sign) is to trade a player on reasonable money and reallocate some of that to Reid and Jones but who... (not Tippett, too easy)

This might be the year were we lose 2 (premier) like players.

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Well it has been a week and neither Jones or Reid has signed and no signs of a change. There is no extra or new money to allocate to either. We might lose both but most likely getting just one, but which one?

On the basis that McVeigh will retire (maybe) or I don't think we have any others and only delists of players on minimal wages.

The only other option I can think of (to get both to sign) is to trade a player on reasonable money and reallocate some of that to Reid and Jones but who... (not Tippett, too easy)

This might be the year were we lose 2 (premier) like players.
    Disagree 100%. On your theory does that mean Fyfe n Martin are definitely gone

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Martin yes, Fyfe no for me.

It could be one of them but not both ins but that would mean both Reid and Jones gone.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk