Page 53 of 267 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Well it has been a week and neither Jones or Reid has signed and no signs of a change. There is no extra or new money to allocate to either.
    Why do you say that. Tippet has restructured his pay packet, freeing up 200- 300K. McVeigh will retire freeing up 400k. And there is a 20% increase in TPP of which buddy doesnt get a cent. That should equate to about $2m extra to spend. No ?

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    They might be bringing a player in but Reid and Jones are not signed.

Reid and our first pick to Richmond for Martin or the same to Freo for Fyfe.

Martin kicks goals. Fyfe doesn't.

It would rather keep both SR and ZJ.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Why do you say that. Tippet has restructured his pay packet, freeing up 200- 300K. McVeigh will retire freeing up 400k. And there is a 20% increase in TPP of which buddy doesnt get a cent. That should equate to about $2m extra to spend. No ?
    We recently signed JPK, Hannebery, Parker, Rampe, Mills and Heeney on big money.

Do you think this magical $2M was not spent on those players. Just fantasy.

You are dreaming. And we don't want Martin or Fyfe. We have ample midfield depth and enough money tied up there too: JPK, Hanners, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Jack, Jones (if he re-signs) plus all the others that go through the middle. If we have that much money we need a KPP. I'd rather get May. For a more low profile and gettable target I'd be thinking about Finlayson. It also depends on how our many KPDs go over the balance of the season: Aliir, Talia, Maibaum, AJ. We have a few options but none of them are bashing the door down to be Reg's replacement at the moment. Aliir has wasted this season (can't believe we're at round 15 already!) and while I still hope and expect he has a future it looks less certain than at the end of last season. Don't know what is happening with Talia. Maibaum is only first year and he's still got time to show something. AJ needs to show something before the end of the season (at least play Reserves) else it is hard to justify keeping him on our list yet another year - I certainly hope he does! Will be a highlight for the year right up there with the finish over the Bombers. I'm casting my mind over KPFs to think who might be gettable and worth getting - Hogan isn't available now but I wonder if there's any chance we could get him when his contract finishes. We'd have to make a godfather offer that we probably can't afford. Our situation isn't desperate but it would be more desperate if we lose Reid. Then, if Buddy gets injured, we're very light on for tall forwards. I am a big fan of Pink but he's only 18 years old and it's too soon to know if he's going to make it.

Veterans List
    We recently signed JPK, Hannebery, Parker, Rampe, Mills and Heeney on big money.

Do you think this magical $2M was not spent on those players. Just fantasy.
    You know what, none of us have any idea how contracts are structured except for Franklin's. None of us know whether any of the contracts of re-signed stars are for fixed amounts per year or % of total cap per year, fixed amounts plus whatever the % increase per year was decided on, etc etc so really we are just wasting keyboard strokes speculating.

What we do know is that this club has been very astute in managing players contracts in the past and no doubt is right now doing the same. We lost Mumford only because of the unexpected and highly fortuitous Buddy landing in our lap, we were prepared to lose Mitchell to change the midfield mix and to get another first round pick and free up some cap space. I say again, our club has been very astute.

What we do know is that the club continues to sign new contracts for players important to our future.

What we do know is that before the trade period last year clubs were told to budget for a $1mill increase in salary cap for 2017.

What we do know is that the cap actually increased $1mill more than that which was budgeted for in 2017 and going forward. That should give us and every other club a War Chest or wriggle room. On that basis I can't see us not being able to afford Jones and Reid providing one or both don't get "Godfather" contract offers from south of the border, then prudence kicks in, as does a Band 1 compo pick.

So I for one am prepared to stop speculating and just trust the club to make the correct contract decisions going forward, be that new contracts or extra first round picks.

Do you want Reid and Jones signed?

The club runs the club. As fans we can an opinion that is in conflict with the clubs decisions and talk about it.

E.g. I dont rate rucks. As long as they compete in the air and ground balls and tackles that would do me.

But the idea that the club is perfect is a very interesting view of life and that you dont wont anyone to challenge anything.

If you want to tell people to not talk about the club you should leave RWO then, its pointless. It a forum for other peoples comments.

Reid is RFA.
    Jones is just a trade.

My bad. You just dont wont to speculate any further. Fair comment.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    You know what, none of us have any idea how contracts are structured except for Franklin's. None of us know whether any of the contracts of re-signed stars are for fixed amounts per year or % of total cap per year, fixed amounts plus whatever the % increase per year was decided on, etc etc so really we are just wasting keyboard strokes speculating.

What we do know is that this club has been very astute in managing players contracts in the past and no doubt is right now doing the same. We lost Mumford only because of the unexpected and highly fortuitous Buddy landing in our lap, we were prepared to lose Mitchell to change the midfield mix and to get another first round pick and free up some cap space. I say again, our club has been very astute.

What we do know is that the club continues to sign new contracts for players important to our future.

What we do know is that before the trade period last year clubs were told to budget for a $1mill increase in salary cap for 2017.

What we do know is that the cap actually increased $1mill more than that which was budgeted for in 2017 and going forward. That should give us and every other club a War Chest or wriggle room. On that basis I can't see us not being able to afford Jones and Reid providing one or both don't get "Godfather" contract offers from south of the border, then prudence kicks in, as does a Band 1 compo pick.

So I for one am prepared to stop speculating and just trust the club to make the correct contract decisions going forward, be that new contracts or extra first round picks.
    Spot on.

I think we'll be able to make (and probably have made now) very good offers to both Jones and Reid that reflect their fair market value. Whether the current market imbalance (and it is an imbalance with some clubs able to spend MILLIONS more than others in a short period) sees an "out of the park" offer come in is out of our hands. If that happens then we won't be drawn into a bidding war and nor should we. So, to an extent it is out of our hands now.

The bones of our list is excellent and as you say, if the worst case happens we have extra cap space ourselves and a strong drafting hand, which may not be a bad thing longer term.

Having said that, I'm prepared to stick my neck out with Jones and say that IMO the clock starts ticking if he hasn't re-signed by the end of the week. I still think he's going to stay but if he hasn't re-signed by the end of July then sadly I think we can assume he is gone. As for Reid, we'll just need to be patient - the whole free agency system is designed to allow players to explore their market value and I think he is just doing that.

On the veteran's list
    My bad.
    Mistake?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Mistake?
    Depends on view.

707 stated that he/she doesn't want to speculate any more.

Miss read the post and saw it as not wanting ANY further comments about the player list.

My bad at the end after a edit.

Do you want Reid and Jones signed?

The club runs the club. As fans we can an opinion that is in conflict with the clubs decisions and talk about it.

E.g. I dont rate rucks. As long as they compete in the air and ground balls and tackles that would do me.

But the idea that the club is perfect is a very interesting view of life and that you dont wont anyone to challenge anything.

If you want to tell people to not talk about the club you should leave RWO then, its pointless. It a forum for other peoples comments.

Reid is RFA.
    Jones is just a trade.

My bad. You just dont wont to speculate any further. Fair comment.

Where on earth did that rant come from?

Didn't interpret 707s post at all like that. Can't see where you can infer he wants either Jones or Reid not to be signed. Just a statement that he's happy to back the club's judgement. What's so incendiary about that?

Martin yes, Fyfe no for me.

It could be one of them but not both ins but that would mean both Reid and Jones gone.

I don't think we'll get anyone in. It just sounds like it's hit the bye n you've hit panic mode. It's a totally different year this year than normal with the late re-signing of the players agreement n just because someone hasn't re-signed yet doesn't mean their gone. Be patient

Maybe i should delete post?

I claimed the mistake.????