Page 75 of 267 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

What we do with Tippett will be really interesting.

Realistically he is now cover, he is not a good enough tap ruckman to dislodge Naismith IMO and he is not a good enough KPF to dislodge Reid.

And our structure is definitely better with one ruckman and two key forwards.

But he is very good cover for both of those positions, as is Sinclair though I rate him behind Tippett fully fit but he is cheaper.

If we lose Reid I am sure we will keep Tippett and try to turn him back into a KPF. If we keep Sammy I could well see us trying to offload him but it will all come down to how much salary we need to contribute to any deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Realistically he is now cover, he is not a good enough tap ruckman to dislodge Naismith IMO and he is not a good enough KPF to dislodge Reid.

But he is very good cover for both of those positions, as is Sinclair though I rate him behind Tippett fully fit but he is cheaper.

If we lose Reid I am sure we will keep Tippett and try to turn him back into a KPF. If we keep Sammy I could well see us trying to offload him but it will all come down to how much salary we need to contribute to any deal.
    Didn't we extend his contract at a reduced rate (same dollars, more years)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

+1

Makes him our version of Chris Mayne / Ty Vickery.

I don't know how much more mobile Tippo could become if he lost some bulk/muscle?

I wonder if both Reid and Tippett will be on our list next year?
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 21st July 2017 at 12:42 AM.

I think if Tippet is on a reduced salary then I think he could still be useful as squad depth for ruck/key forward. We might otherwise be spending money recruiting an experienced backup for those positions.

And even though we are running one ruck now. It does not mean we will have the same setup for following seasons.

Nick Riewoldt

If we lose Reid and Nick Riewoldt is forced out by the Saints, should we get him to the Swans in a Drew Petre like role?

He has knee trouble, but probably has 12 good games a campaign. Would bring great leadership credentials to the Swans and provide some short term cover for Reid if he leaves.

A pick in the 60s would probably get it done if Nick wanted to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    Nick Riewoldt

If we lose Reid and Nick Riewoldt is forced out by the Saints, should we get him to the Swans in a Drew Petre like role?

He has knee trouble, but probably has 12 good games a campaign. Would bring great leadership credentials to the Swans and provide some short term cover for Reid if he leaves.

I wouldn't be against that in theory. I can think of a young player that he'd be keeping out of the team (ala Goodes with Membrey). Reiwoldt would be a good gap filler for that role and much better than Tippett. I don't think the he would do it however.

Senior Player
    Not sure if this is really the right thread for this but it is an insight into what this journalist attributes our continued recent success to.
    Interesting to hear the background on our famed " no dickhead " policy
    NSW Blues need more than a 'no dickheads' policy, Sydney Swans story was a myth to start with

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    Nick Riewoldt

No. IMO Package the pick we got for Reid or Jones with our first and try to trade up the order for a kpp, preferably Brander. Or draft Balta if unable to obtain. I've said before it takes 3 years for kpp to start playing good consistent footy. With Nick there it'll take 4. He would be just slowing the development of potentially a 10 year player.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    No. IMO Package the pick we got for Reid or Jones with our first and try to trade up the order for a kpp, preferably Brander. Or draft Balta if unable to obtain. I've said before it takes 3 years for kpp to start playing good consistent footy. With Nick there it'll take 4. He would be just slowing the development of potentially a 10 year player.
    +1

The pipe dream of mine would be:

1. Lose Sam Reid and Kurt Tippett freeing up cap space and obtaining 1st round compo for Sam.

2. Make do with Buddy, Rohan, Hayward next year.

3. Sign Tom Lynch from GC for 2019 on long term contract.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I wouldn't be against that in theory. I can think of a young player that he'd be keeping out of the team (ala Goodes with Membrey). Reiwoldt would be a good gap filler for that role and much better than Tippett. I don't think the he would do it however.
    Goodes kept Membrey out of the team!!!!???? That's like saying Einstein stopped my grade 5 science teacher from getting a Nobel prize for physics!!!
    Membrey still struggling to be legitimate AFL standard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Goodes kept Membrey out of the team!!!!???? That's like saying Einstein stopped my grade 5 science teacher from getting a Nobel prize for physics!!!
    Membrey still struggling to be legitimate AFL standard.
    People only seem to remember the games Membrey has where he kicks 3 or 4 against poor quality teams. They fail to ignore how many times he has gone missing against the good teams. I have no doubt he is going to prove a more than reasonable afl footballer, but I'm still not convinced he is anywhere near the top notch player some would suggest he is.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."