Page 76 of 267 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    The pipe dream of mine would be:

1. Lose Sam Reid and Kurt Tippett freeing up cap space and obtaining 1st round compo for Sam.

2. Make do with Buddy, Rohan, Hayward next year.

3. Sign Tom Lynch from GC for 2019 on long term contract.
    You actually want to lose Sammy?

I think he is a very important player for us as our second KPF and will be very hard to replace.

I doubt we'd be a snowflakes for Lynch as much as I'd like him. He is contracted until the end of next year when be a RFA which means of course Gold Coast will have the ability to match any offer. Given that Buddy is to be paid $1.3m, $1.4m and $1.5m in 2019, 2020 and 2021 we clearly would not be able to make a bid that the Suns wouldn't match nor would we be able to afford his demands.

I could imagine that some Melbourne clubs would be actively frontloading contracts this year and next to clear up space to make a bid for Tom though, it will be a huge bidding war and I would think he'd be close to the highest player in the game in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    No. IMO Package the pick we got for Reid or Jones with our first and try to trade up the order for a kpp, preferably Brander. Or draft Balta if unable to obtain. I've said before it takes 3 years for kpp to start playing good consistent footy. With Nick there it'll take 4. He would be just slowing the development of potentially a 10 year player.
    I think we'd probably only do that if we lost Sammy, based on the premise we would have a good 4 years left on him and at least three for Buddy thus allowing Blakey to come on.

If we lost Sammy then I think your strategy would have merit as history tells that KPFs usually go high first round and this would be a rare chance for us to nail one. I think we could make do with Rohan at FF, or Tippett (think we'll keep him if we lose Sammy) next year while Brander (or whoever) develops along with Blakey hopefully in the draft after.

In fact I actually think Rohan would make an excellent leading Full Forward if he was settled there, think he would be very hard to match up on as he is tall enough, is a dynamic lead and has a strong paid of hands.

Ideally we keep both Sammy and Zak provided we don't pay overs which I don't think we'll do

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think we'd probably only do that if we lost Sammy, based on the premise we would have a good 4 years left on him and at least three for Buddy thus allowing Blakey to come on.

If we lost Sammy then I think your strategy would have merit as history tells that KPFs usually go high first round and this would be a rare chance for us to nail one. I think we could make do with Rohan at FF, or Tippett (think we'll keep him if we lose Sammy) next year while Brander (or whoever) develops along with Blakey hopefully in the draft after.

In fact I actually think Rohan would make an excellent leading Full Forward if he was settled there, think he would be very hard to match up on as he is tall enough, is a dynamic lead and has a strong paid of hands.

Ideally we keep both Sammy and Zak provided we don't pay overs which I don't think we'll do
    I've previously explained the reasons why I would trade up if either left so I don't really want to repeat myself to everyone else. I agree 100% in regards to Rohan but it doesn't look like the coaching staff believe the same thing. He provides a contest, has great pace for leading, mobile & has very good forward pressure. Perfect FF. I do agree I'd prefer to keep both. I just don't think Tippet will play a full season.

Also Brander is the only one I'd trade up for unless there was a rediculous chance we'd trade for a top 3 pick. Next year there is talk that there may be live trading which would be great for a club like ours who really needs to target a couple of KPF over the next couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

You actually want to lose Sammy?

I think he is a very important player for us as our second KPF and will be very hard to replace.

I doubt we'd be a snowflakes for Lynch as much as I'd like him. He is contracted until the end of next year when be a RFA which means of course Gold Coast will have the ability to match any offer. Given that Buddy is to be paid $1.3m, $1.4m and $1.5m in 2019, 2020 and 2021 we clearly would not be able to make a bid that the Suns wouldn't match nor would we be able to afford his demands.

I could imagine that some Melbourne clubs would be actively frontloading contracts this year and next to clear up space to make a bid for Tom though, it will be a huge bidding war and I would think he'd be close to the highest player in the game in 2019
    Agree no chance. I think Reid is very underrated and is very important to our structure.

You actually want to lose Sammy
    Sorry. I wasn't very clear. If, and only if, we were able to get Lynch by losing Sam this year, then yes. I realise how much of a pipe dream this is.

Therefore, overall, I'd love to keep both Sam and Zak and give up on Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Sorry. I wasn't very clear. If, and only if, we were able to get Lynch by losing Sam this year, then yes. I realise how much of a pipe dream this is.

Therefore, overall, I'd love to keep both Sam and Zak and give up on Lynch.
    I would love to have Jonathan Patten. He is developing into a great marking key forward. He and Buddy would be known as Club 60 as they can both launch the ball at goal from 60 metres.

What about Tippo for Goldstein ?

Both out of form could do with a change ?

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I would love to have Jonathan Patten. He is developing into a great marking key forward. He and Buddy would be known as Club 60 as they can both launch the ball at goal from 60 metres.
    No chance we could afford him, of course we'd all like him just as we'd all like Dangerfield

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    What about Tippo for Goldstein ?

Both out of form could do with a change ?
    I'm happy with Niasmith as our long term ruckman

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    No. IMO Package the pick we got for Reid or Jones with our first and try to trade up the order for a kpp, preferably Brander. Or draft Balta if unable to obtain. I've said before it takes 3 years for kpp to start playing good consistent footy. With Nick there it'll take 4. He would be just slowing the development of potentially a 10 year player.
    Why would Riewoldt slow down the development of a player in the NEAFL? Brander/Balta wouldn't be ready for seniors for a couple of years and Reiwoldt would be gone by then. BTW, Brander will go top 3 and we wouldn't be able trade up for that.

I'm happy with Niasmith as our long term ruckman[/QUOTE]

Agree but in a trade for a 30yr old for 29YR old, I think it would be worth it........
    Goldy can go forward

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Goodes kept Membrey out of the team!!!!???? That's like saying Einstein stopped my grade 5 science teacher from getting a Nobel prize for physics!!!
    Membrey still struggling to be legitimate AFL standard.
    His AF points this year are better than our other forwards in Reid, Tippet and Towers. If Memrey is no good then it doesn't say much about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I'm happy with Niasmith as our long term ruckman
    Agree but in a trade for a 30yr old for 29YR old, I think it would be worth it........
    Goldy can go forward[/QUOTE]

Goldstein would have to be a 1st ruck though. He's not a forward.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    His AF points this year are better than our other forwards in Reid, Tippet and Towers. If Memrey is no good then it doesn't say much about them.
    Membrey is their go to forward. So compare him to Buddy if you want a comparison. Besides the Saints draw has been super soft.

Sam Reid can't kick a set shot 30 out on a angle... anyway he's been offered a four year deal and Jones also has an offer in front of him so if they don't sign in the next two or three weeks they're gone.

Sam Reid contract: Sydney to give restricted free agent forward four-year deal amid interest from Collingwood, Richmond | Fox Sports