Page 220 of 267 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230 ... LastLast
Results 2,629 to 2,640 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Like Melbourne got for Frawley when he left for Hawthorn.Crazy stuff
    It's designed that way as the theory is that the successful clubs should get less compensation when they lose a player. All part of equalisation.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I'd like to see us trade up in picks next year so we have a pick prior to Blakeys selection. If we could get a pick around the low teens and then pay for Blakey with the dregs.
    That would be great, but we might see a tanking war for Rankine and Lukosius as well as Victorian clubs looking for good draft picks in the bidding war for Tom Lynch.

Poor Stewy Dew. A new coach doesn't deserve the Melbourne media frenzy that will be going on in the race to woo Tom Lynch back to Melbourne. The sad thing is, most of them think it's just fine for the Melbourne clubs to steal the best players from the northern clubs. I'm so glad we're a destination club. bit feel sorry for the others, even GWS.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That would be great, but we might see a tanking war for Rankine and Lukosius as well as Victorian clubs looking for good draft picks in the bidding war for Tom Lynch.

Poor Stewy Dew. A new coach doesn't deserve the Melbourne media frenzy that will be going on in the race to woo Tom Lynch back to Melbourne. The sad thing is, most of them think it's just fine for the Melbourne clubs to steal the best players from the northern clubs. I'm so glad we're a destination club. bit feel sorry for the others, even GWS.
    I'm sorry for the Queensland clubs, but not GWS. Can't see why, in theory, they shouldn't be any less of a destination club than us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'm sorry for the Queensland clubs, but not GWS. Can't see why, in theory, they shouldn't be any less of a destination club than us.
    It's the Victorian sooks in the main who want to go home, fueled by their commission motivated managers. And yep most of them were drafted to northern clubs. We obviously manage our young people very well for them to want to stay. I don't always agree with Malthouse, but he got this one right. All players go into the draft knowing they could be drafted anywhere and until they are uncontracted should stay where they are. He doesn't buy the bull dust about family reasons. If they don't want to play at the club with a year on their contract let them sit it out for the years for nix. Any manager encouraging a player to move with time on their contract should be de-registered and any club seen to be a party to it should be heavily fined or lose draft picks. We have Tippett with 2 years on his contract and we have to honour his contract regardless of whether he plays another game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It's the Victorian sooks in the main who want to go home, fueled by their commission motivated managers. And yep most of them were drafted to northern clubs. We obviously manage our young people very well for them to want to stay. I don't always agree with Malthouse, but he got this one right. All players go into the draft knowing they could be drafted anywhere and until they are uncontracted should stay where they are. He doesn't buy the bull dust about family reasons. If they don't want to play at the club with a year on their contract let them sit it out for the years for nix. Any manager encouraging a player to move with time on their contract should be de-registered and any club seen to be a party to it should be heavily fined or lose draft picks. We have Tippett with 2 years on his contract and we have to honour his contract regardless of whether he plays another game.
    I agree with all of this. Yet no-one seems to care that the Demons basically pushed Watts out the door, even though he was contracted. I bet if the Swans tried the same tactic with Tippett we'd cop something from the VFL boys club. I can't see our club managing Tippett like Watts though. The difference between a club with class and a club without.

Senior Player
    Credit for Malthouse for calling it the way it is. If a player doesn't think he will last the length of the contract, well then maybe
    don't sign it, or sign a shorter one. The family reasons thing gets trotted out ad nauseam for players wanting to leave a club,
    but if it's so important now, why wasn't it that important before they left their hometown.
    Young people leave their hometown to work and study by the hundreds of thousands every year, and very few of them have
    an AFL level salary to help them make ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The AFL should provide a Granny Flat Allowance for Victorian players going interstate. If they can take their Mums with them, they won't get so lonely. And a free supply of apron strings as well.

Sorry to ruin your day Nico, but Tippett has 3 years left on his contract. It's Harry Cunningham who only has 2 years remaining.

Tom Harley plays Unchained Melody whenever Tippett comes into his office:

Time goes by so slowly
    And time can do so much
    Are you still mine?
    Last edited by Ludwig; 20th October 2017 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The AFL should provide a Granny Flat Allowance for Victorian players going interstate. If they can take their Mums with them, they won't get so lonely. And a free supply of apron strings as well.

Sorry to ruin your day Nico, but Tippett has 3 years left on his contract. It's Harry Cunningham who only has 2 years remaining.

Tom Harley plays Unchained Melody whenever Tippett comes into his office:

Time goes by so slowly
    And time can do so much
    Are you still mine?
    Isnt he only contracted till 2018???

PLEASE TELL ME SO

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Isnt he only contracted till 2018???

PLEASE TELL ME SO

Afternoon all

I think we need to keep calm re tippo

We can not truly believe we are paying tippo that much in these later years of his contract

Our club is just not that stupid

They primed the large payments early on knowing he would have less room to move when older etc

We could always try to Mummy-fy Tippett and tell him that even though he�s got a contract we aren�t honouring it because he�s injured. This also seems highly dubious to me.

In terms of players going home it�s actually a tiny percentage... and I can�t think of many careers where contracts are unbreakable. Perhaps they need a one year notice period?

2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    We could always try to Mummy-fy Tippett and tell him that even though he�s got a contract we aren�t honouring it because he�s injured. This also seems highly dubious to me.

In terms of players going home it�s actually a tiny percentage... and I can�t think of many careers where contracts are unbreakable. Perhaps they need a one year notice period?
    Not sure what you are referring to re Mumford. He was out of contract with us when the Swans let him go. Yes he had one year left on his GWS contract but it sounds as if the decision to quit was his (based on medical advice) - even if the club didn�t try to convince him otherwise (and GWS have now given him an alternative career through a coaching position so he hasn�t been left out on his own).

And re contracts - we discussed this earlier in this thread. A club (with approval from the AFL) can delist a contracted player but then have to pay out the remaining contract term and that full amount is counted in the salary cap in the year in which it is paid. So if you are suggesting this should be done with Tippett, the 3 years left in his contract would all get counted in the cap for next year - which I suspect would put the Swans in the red.

Further re Tippett, I for one am tired of the negativity towards him. He has had a wretched run with injuries; some people seem to think this is a sort of moral failure on his part (comments on him �not delivering� etc.). Where is the compassion that has been shown to AJ who has been on our list for the last FIVE years without playing a single senior match?

And before everyone jumps on me re the salary differential between Tippett and AJ, Tippett�s salary over the time he has been with the Swans (it seems now considerably less than in his first contract) reflects the market value put on KFFs and skilled ruck/forwards - roles which when fit & healthy Tippett filled extremely well.

(And there has been an opportunity cost for the Swans in retaining an unfit AJ - worth thinking about by those who bemoan the loss of Biggs for example.)

The investment in Tippett hasn�t worked out the way the Swans and the fans would have liked, but that is sheer bad luck. I for one really hope that the ankle surgery he has had enables him to return fit and to be the player we know he can be.

Ps: no one should read the above as a criticism of the club for showing loyalty to AJ. I am proud to support a club that treats its players with respect as it is now doing with Tippett (note that several times Longmire & Harley have referred to the professionalism with which Tippett has treated his rehabilitation periods and to his attempts to play through the pain of his ankle injury). I would just like to see more fans treat Tippett similarly.
    Last edited by Meg; 20th October 2017 at 09:25 PM.