Page 221 of 267 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,652 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veteran Site Admin
    Thanks Meg for taking the time to write the response that I wish I'd made time to write.

Players normally retire out of contract. It�s usually a question of whether they�ll get another one. Mumford had another year to go on his contract and was forced to retire - as I understand it they got medical advice that he was unfit to play on.

I think this is unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Players normally retire out of contract. It�s usually a question of whether they�ll get another one. Mumford had another year to go on his contract and was forced to retire - as I understand it they got medical advice that he was unfit to play on.

I think this is unprecedented.
    I think Bradshaw did the same with us.

I too concur with Meg. Although I am unhappy with the situation with Tippett's contract, I have never blamed this on Tippett. It's unfortunate he's been injured, but it's not his fault.

If I can elaborate on the comment by Markwebbos, we might be able to come to an agreement with Tippett to do the same as Mummy and retire due to injury. Then we give him another job at the club, like rehab coach, at a mutually agreed amount. This would get him off our books for TPP purposes.

I am pessimistic about Tippett's playing future after an ankle reco at his age. I doubt he will get back to playing at a level up to AFL standard and will just end up 4th in the queue for ruckmen, even if he makes a medically full recovery. I think Naismith comes out of contract next year, and we will probably have to let him go if Tippett stays at the club.

As for AJ, I think keeping him on the primary list served some purpose other than loyalty to an injured player. He was almost certainly on a minimum salary for primary list players and took a list spot when we were transitioning through the loss of COLA period. If we dropped him from the list, his spot might have gone to someone requiring a higher salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I think Bradshaw did the same with us.
    Bradshaw retired mid-year but (as I understand it) didn�t have another year contracted after the one he was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    As for AJ, I think keeping him on the primary list served some purpose other than loyalty to an injured player. He was almost certainly on a minimum salary for primary list players and took a list spot when we were transitioning through the loss of COLA period. If we dropped him from the list, his spot might have gone to someone requiring a higher salary.
    That�s a fair point Ludwig. But then without AJ the Swans might have promoted one of the rookies earlier (eg Naismith, Newman, Melican) and taken on another rookie who in turn might have turned out to be another Grundy, Smith, Papley. etc. Or they might have taken another lowly draft pick who turned out to be, for example, another Malceski.

At their worst these options would not have cost more. At their best they would have potentially given us a stronger list than one with AJ on the LTI list for almost 5 years,

To repeat myself, I�m very happy with the choice the Club made in regard to AJ. But it involved an investment risk which may turn out to be costly if AJ never returns to his 2012 form.

Just as list management decisions always involve risk, particularly in a sport in which unfortunate and untimely injuries do occur.

I am amused at all of these Collingwood supporters going ballistic at the trading of Murray for a future second round pick. Time will tell of course on who won the deal but it's fun to see the Pies supporters in meltdown. Imagine if the Pies have another bad start to the season with the re-signing of Buckley and these sort of deals. It will be fun to watch in a macabre kind of way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When another team loses by 100+ points 2 weeks in a row that feeling is called

Schadenfreo

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Bradshaw retired mid-year but (as I understand it) didn�t have another year contracted after the one he was playing.
    Pretty sure he had one year left after the year he retired

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I am amused at all of these Collingwood supporters going ballistic at the trading of Murray for a future second round pick. Time will tell of course on who won the deal but it's fun to see the Pies supporters in meltdown. Imagine if the Pies have another bad start to the season with the re-signing of Buckley and these sort of deals. It will be fun to watch in a macabre kind of way.
    Don't forget we hold the Pies 2018 second rounder so we will be keeping everything crossed that they are a train wreck in 2018 :-) On a more serious note, I can't make up my mind whether Pies are building or crumbling. The only time they looked any good this year was when the ageing (33 next year) Wells was on the park. Did nothing! in the trade period and only hold picks 6 & 36 of any note in the draft with no second rounder next year. Still have Eddie as Pres and Buckley as coach, bizarre club at present.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Pretty sure he had one year left after the year he retired
    I don't think so. He was in the second year of a two year contract. Bradshaw retires after stellar career - AFL NSW / ACT

I agree with afl.com's best starting 22. The only change I'd make is Dawson in for Florent. Naismith could come in for Tippett for a bit more durability but if Tippett hit's form he definitely takes the cake.

Best 22: How your club could line up in 2018 - AFL.com.au