Page 56 of 267 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Still no response to my question, who was the last home grown KPF at the Swans? I don't think there has been one for over 30 years, that's why we keep Reid.
    Home grown as in started their career at the Swans? The mighty X Richards!

Still no response to my question, who was the last home grown KPF at the Swans? I don't think there has been one for over 30 years, that's why we keep Reid.
    We won the 2012 flag with LRT as the key forward. Dont get more home grown than that.

But to be honest, poaching a big name forward in the peak of their career has been a pretty profitable approach, why change it ?

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Bloodspirit, you may have missed the news that Tippet has been re-signed until 2020 but at a reduced wage. Not sure if we did that as a decision or whether his existing contract had clauses meaning we had to extend. I'd love to see him in early 2016 form, was best Fwd/Ruck in the comp.

Naismith looks to now be our number 1 ruck so Tippett must make a go of FF/2nd ruck. Allows Reid to play CHF and Buddy to run rampant everywhere forward of centre.
    Reduced wage, re- signed with the club? I didn't see that report on Tippett, was that on the Swans Website?

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Played 66 games in the middle of his 5th season with the club. Unreliable to stay on the park. If he played atleast one full season yes but he hasn't for even one year. At his best I consider him the best ruck/forward in the game but sadly it's not regular enough.
    There was so much potential with Tippo. Speculating here, but perhaps he's not happy? And usually if you're mentally not in a good place, the body tends to follow.
    He was a key reason to why we were absolutely flying last year. So there's no denying the fact he's a quality player. And we're singing Reid's places but his last good year was 2012. He was also injury plagued, the same as Tippett.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    There was so much potential with Tippo. Speculating here, but perhaps he's not happy? And usually if you're mentally not in a good place, the body tends to follow.
    He was a key reason to why we were absolutely flying last year. So there's no denying the fact he's a quality player. And we're singing Reid's places but his last good year was 2012. He was also injury plagued, the same as Tippett.
    Wouldn't agree that he's possibly not happy as apparently he was the one that asked to stay for a reduced wages so that doesn't point to unhappy to me. As I said he is quality but has never put one full season in. Reid is only 25 years old. Unless your Wayne Carey it takes time as a key forward, he's only 25. His best years are in front of him. Tippets are behind him. It's easily a fair call to say Reid is way more important to the side going forward.

If Reid left does anyone consider Sydney might go after Casboult?

Wouldn't agree that he's possibly not happy as apparently he was the one that asked to stay for a reduced wages so that doesn't point to unhappy to me. As I said he is quality but has never put one full season in. Reid is only 25 years old. Unless your Wayne Carey it takes time as a key forward, he's only 25. His best years are in front of him. Tippets are behind him. It's easily a fair call to say Reid is way more important to the side going forward.
    Completely agree with Reid being more important to the side. He's a premiership player and performs on the big stage!

However. If we can't keep him and we can't keep Jones. Does that mean we're a realistic chance to chase Josh Kelly and possibly a running backman? I personally think J-Jo would suit our gameplan more than any other defender up for free agency right now. We have a whole host of young guns coming up the ranks that would be good tradebait. The only one I wouldn't want to lose is Nic Newman. The rest are key backman who don't have genuine leg speed.

Warming the Bench
    If Reid left does anyone consider Sydney might go after Casboult?
    I was thinking exactly this! His kicking is poor but he is a great contested mark, can really build a forward line around him and wouldn't cost much. Mike Pyke replacement

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I was thinking exactly this! His kicking is poor but he is a great contested mark, can really build a forward line around him and wouldn't cost much. Mike Pyke replacement
    Apart from the bolded bit, you just described Reid

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Apart from the bolded bit, you just described Reid
    Agree 100%, would be great to have a few more years of a big marking tease of a Fwd

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    Completely agree with Reid being more important to the side. He's a premiership player and performs on the big stage!

However. If we can't keep him and we can't keep Jones. Does that mean we're a realistic chance to chase Josh Kelly and possibly a running backman? I personally think J-Jo would suit our gameplan more than any other defender up for free agency right now. We have a whole host of young guns coming up the ranks that would be good tradebait. The only one I wouldn't want to lose is Nic Newman. The rest are key backman who don't have genuine leg speed.
    We are no chance at Kelly. A running back is a possibility. But I am pretty confident we'll keep Jones & with Reid it's getting harder as the very few kpp that were uncontracted are re-signing so he's becoming the clubs next choice
    Last edited by Boddo; 28th June 2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    While his kicking at times has been horrendous I'd say this year it's improved to the point as a blues supporter your heart wouldn't be in your mouth. If this eventuates you then have to definitely settle the key backs as Reid is a very good backup if things go wrong down the back half. He provides a lot of stability down back when called upon like in the last few minutes v Richmond