Page 246 of 267 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,952 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Great news

Category: | Herald Sun

�SYDNEY young guns Tom Papley and George Hewett have recommitted until the end of 2020, helping cement another two of the Swans� Generation Next...�
    Fantastic! Another two young guns locked away.

These players are out of contract at the end of 2018. I'd expect not all of them will be offered a renewal:
    Aliir Aliir
    Jordan Foote
    Heath Grundy
    Jake Lloyd
    Jack Maibaum
    Harry Marsh
    Sam Naismith
    Nic Newman@
    James Rose
    Daniel Robinson
    Nick Smith
    Dean Towers
    Jarrad McVeigh

2018 will be a make or break year for at least 5 of them. I could see a lot of delistings to free up space for the supposed mega draft.

Really hope Aliir returns to form and the firsts in 2018.

Less convinced about Marsh, Rose, Foote and Robbo.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd beware of the talk of next year's draft being a super draft. You seem to hear every year that the next draft will be a super draft. If you go back a year ago, you'll certainly find a lot of talk about this year's (ie 2017) being such, and now its being spoken of as thin at the top and with little depth.

Not many under-agers get much exposure in the U18 championships. Those that do, and do well, tend to have their performances wildly extrapolated. And given that most players who will be drafted next year would have had no exposure in the U18 championships and little at TAC Cup level, I'd have thought it nigh on impossible to know how deep next year's draft will be, regardless of whether the handful being projected as superstar early picks go on with it and live up to the hype. Things change a lot during the players' final year in the underage system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    These players are out of contract at the end of 2018. I'd expect not all of them will be offered a renewal:
    Aliir Aliir
    Jordan Foote
    Heath Grundy
    Jake Lloyd
    Jack Maibaum
    Harry Marsh
    Sam Naismith
    Nic Newman@
    James Rose
    Daniel Robinson
    Nick Smith
    Dean Towers
    Jarrad McVeigh
    Unless things change drastically, I would expect that Foote, Rose, Marsh, Robinson, and McVeigh will no longer be on the list in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Unless things change drastically, I would expect that Foote, Rose, Marsh, Robinson, and McVeigh will no longer be on the list in 2019.
    If we draft well Towers maybe added to that list as well turns 29 in 2019.

Excellent news with both Hewett and Papley signing. Hewett has always impressed me. He has the ability to both find space in heavy traffic and to choose sensible options. He also does a lot of grunt work; which can go unnoticed. Whereas, with Papley, he has always impressed me even more. A few games into his career, I was wondering, "How the hell did this guy slip through to the rookie draft?" I don't think that question has ever been answered satisfactorily, and with his freakish skills, it is only going to become more mystifying over time.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd beware of the talk of next year's draft being a super draft. You seem to hear every year that the next draft will be a super draft. If you go back a year ago, you'll certainly find a lot of talk about this year's (ie 2017) being such, and now its being spoken of as thin at the top and with little depth.
    There's always a wide variation of opinion on both current and future drafts, but at the time, last year's draft was generally thought of as being quite strong and there where good prospects to be had even in the rookie draft, including the last player picked in Toby Pink. The weight of opinion last year was that 2017 was not projected to be as good a draft. There were some early indications that perhaps there were good talls in this draft, like Brander, Hayes and Ballendon, but that faded as the year went on and it's turned into a midfielders' draft for the most part. I think players like Hayward at 21 and Witherden at 23 would have been top 15 this year.

I'm happy with the players we've been linked to lately with our 1st pick. I hear we've given a medical all clear Stephenson, so he would be in the mix as well.

Who knows if next year will be a super draft, but most 'experts' seem to think it's a lot stronger than this one. I'm glad we were able to move up with 2 picks in the 2nd round. I think the consensus calls about drafts in recent times have been more right than wrong, but it takes years to really see how good they were.

Veterans List
    Harry Cunningham has 2 more years! Inspired re-signing.

Let's face it, nobody has a clue who's going to get through to the Swans at 14. Since yesterday Cal Twomey has now revised his draft and has O'Brien, Richards, Bonar and Stephenson all gone before our turn and has us picking Oscar Allen rather than Higgins or Lachie Fogarty.

Cal Twomey's late mail: Top five shake-up - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm happy with the players we've been linked to lately with our 1st pick. I hear we've given a medical all clear Stephenson, so he would be in the mix as well.
    I'm also happy with the rumours regarding our first pick. I think the crucial pick in terms of success in this draft is our 2nd round. I will be ecstatic if Houlahan or Balta slide to this pick and we were able to snaffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Let's face it, nobody has a clue who's going to get through to the Swans at 14. Since yesterday Cal Twomey has now revised his draft and has O'Brien, Richards, Bonar and Stephenson all gone before our turn and has us picking Oscar Allen rather than Higgins or Lachie Fogarty.

Cal Twomey's late mail: Top five shake-up - AFL.com.au
    I like Oscar Allen, but I think he will go to the Eagles at pick 13, but even if not, I think we would prefer Higgins or Fogarty. We've been linked to forward Tom McCartin for our 2nd pick. Toby Wooller, who is similar to Allen, is also likely to be available at our 2nd pick. I would prefer taking one of those if we are interested in a tall forward and use our first pick on a midfielder type. Noah Balta seems to have slipped into the post 30s group. I'm not sure why he's fallen out of favour so much. And who would have thought that Brander would be available at pick 14 a couple of weeks ago?

Jordon Butts looks like a late bolter. Still only 17. Would be a good 3rd round pick up, but may not last to pick 51.