Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorable Footy Headlines

Memorable Footy Headlines

I posted in the "Past Players" thread a headline after we defeated Collingwood in a night series game in Des Tuddenham's first year as coach, reading "Tuddy Gives Pies Lesson". It got me thinking to start a new thread of memorable footy headlines which has stuck for whatever reason over the years. Thought it might be fun to help pass away time during the off season.

Nice idea, KSAS. Except I confess I don't get the example you have provided. And, I'm sorry, nor can I personally think of any others. Possibly Sydney newspapers' sports sub-editors don't put as much effort into their headlines, at least when it comes to AFL.

I will watch with interest to see what those of you who are the longest time observers of the game come up with. I expect a contribution from you, Nico.

Bloodspirit, Des Tuddenham played in the 1960's and 70's mostly for Collingwood before finishing up his player career as Captain-Coach at Essendon. Collingwood's mascot being the Magpies - commonly abbreviated as "the Pies", so Tuddenham (Tuddy) was coaching against his former team that night when we towelled them up by a big margin. Hence the headline. Hope this makes sense.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Bloodspirit, Des Tuddenham played in the 1960's and 70's mostly for Collingwood before finishing up his player career as Captain-Coach at Essendon. Collingwood's mascot being the Magpies - commonly abbreviated as "the Pies", so Tuddenham (Tuddy) was coaching against his former team that night when we towelled them up by a big margin. Hence the headline. Hope this makes sense.
    Yes, it does help to have 'some' historical knowledge of our league..... I love that headline. Potentially great thread.

Warming the Bench
    This isn't related to the Swans, or to Aussie Rules for that matter, but a number of years back when Kevin Keegan was managing Manchester City, he signed David Seaman to replace Peter Schmeichel as goalkicker. Cue the headline: Keegan Fills Schmeichel's gap with Seaman.

Warming the Bench
    In about '05, Port ruckman Dean Brogan got done for striking and was banned for four weeks. For a couple of hours after the verdict an Aussie sports news website ran a headline with a typo: Bogan cops four

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    In about '05, Port ruckman Dean Brogan got done for striking and was banned for four weeks. For a couple of hours after the verdict an Aussie sports news website ran a headline with a typo: Bogan cops four
    Got that right

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    This isn't related to the Swans, or to Aussie Rules for that matter, but a number of years back when Kevin Keegan was managing Manchester City, he signed David Seaman to replace Peter Schmeichel as goalkicker. Cue the headline: Keegan Fills Schmeichel's gap with Seaman.
    Still on soccer, but on a slightly classier note, was the following headline, after Glasgow Celtic suffered a shock cup defeat, at the hands of lower division Caledonian Thistle: Super Cali Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious.

Pies Chief Hits Out

About a billion times in The Sun News-Pictorial.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Still on soccer, but on a slightly classier note, was the following headline, after Glasgow Celtic suffered a shock cup defeat, at the hands of lower division Caledonian Thistle: Super Cali Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious.
    That is brilliant!!!

I recall during build up to the 96 GF, The Age in Melbourne ran a headline "North v South". It was referring to us being team north of the Murray and North Melb being the team south of the Murray. Throw back reference to the VFL days when North Melb played South Melb.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Rolled gold!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast