Page 224 of 267 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast
Results 2,677 to 2,688 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Warming the Bench
    According to the AFL site we are looking at another ruckman Scott Jones (interestingly so are Richmond)
    Surely not another ruckman

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    According to the AFL site we are looking at another ruckman Scott Jones (interestingly so are Richmond)
    Surely not another ruckman
    I remember a couple of years ago Horse saying 'you can never have enough ruckmen'!!!!!!!

I was going to write that we should get another ruckman in the draft - as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to re Mumford. He was out of contract with us when the Swans let him go. Yes he had one year left on his GWS contract but it sounds as if the decision to quit was his (based on medical advice) - even if the club didn�t try to convince him otherwise (and GWS have now given him an alternative career through a coaching position so he hasn�t been left out on his own).

And re contracts - we discussed this earlier in this thread. A club (with approval from the AFL) can delist a contracted player but then have to pay out the remaining contract term and that full amount is counted in the salary cap in the year in which it is paid. So if you are suggesting this should be done with Tippett, the 3 years left in his contract would all get counted in the cap for next year - which I suspect would put the Swans in the red.

Further re Tippett, I for one am tired of the negativity towards him. He has had a wretched run with injuries; some people seem to think this is a sort of moral failure on his part (comments on him �not delivering� etc.). Where is the compassion that has been shown to AJ who has been on our list for the last FIVE years without playing a single senior match?

And before everyone jumps on me re the salary differential between Tippett and AJ, Tippett�s salary over the time he has been with the Swans (it seems now considerably less than in his first contract) reflects the market value put on KFFs and skilled ruck/forwards - roles which when fit & healthy Tippett filled extremely well.

(And there has been an opportunity cost for the Swans in retaining an unfit AJ - worth thinking about by those who bemoan the loss of Biggs for example.)

The investment in Tippett hasn�t worked out the way the Swans and the fans would have liked, but that is sheer bad luck. I for one really hope that the ankle surgery he has had enables him to return fit and to be the player we know he can be.

Ps: no one should read the above as a criticism of the club for showing loyalty to AJ. I am proud to support a club that treats its players with respect as it is now doing with Tippett (note that several times Longmire & Harley have referred to the professionalism with which Tippett has treated his rehabilitation periods and to his attempts to play through the pain of his ankle injury). I would just like to see more fans treat Tippett similarly.
    +1000

If I could like this comment more I would. Well said Meg.

It is now obvious that Tippet's ankle injury sustained in round 2 was a lot worse than anyone of us will know.

Are there any Academy prospects this year that we would be considering?

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Ruckman - Liam Maze. We need another one........

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Ruckman - Liam Maze. We need another one........
    Wouldn't have an issue rookie listing Maze as he is in the academy, but please no don't draft another one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This is what Gary Buckenara says about Noah Balta:

�Balta is an exciting prospect at this stage of his development because he can come in and show something that really catches the eye, whether it be a booming long kick, an athletic grab or some nice movement for a player his size. He doesn�t have the consistency yet but there�s huge upside there to work with for a club willing to develop him and be patient. He can play as a key defender but as a bit of a project player, who knows where he might end up because he is so raw but I�m sure clubs will see his potential.

Plays like: Alex Rance or a more athletic Brian Lake�

It was this bit that made me uncomfortable about him �as a bit of a project player, who knows where he might end up because he is so raw�

Do we want to use our 1st pick on a �raw ... project player�?
    I don't rate Buckenara's draft analysis or his evaluation of team lists. I don't think he does any real research and just banks on his reputation.

Emma Quayle was very sharp with her draft evaluation, but now she's got a regular recruiting job. Cal Twomey, Kevin Sheehan and Brett Anderson have access to players and recruiters and generally have the best information on what to expect from the draft. A few amateurs do their own research and have some good knowledge. I think Chris Doerre, for instance, goes to lots of games and views video of the draft prospects as well.

A lot of pundits look at a club and see they like to play a certain way and look for players of the same ilk. The Swans like playing a contested brand of footy with powerful inside mids, so let's give them more of that type of player. None of these draft experts know our playing list like we do on RWO. You wouldn't expect that they would, as they have to cover 18 clubs, so it's hard to have a deep familiarity with them all.

You have to be forward looking when it comes to the draft and observe the direction the game is going and find players suited to that style of game. I don't think we will see many ruckmen drafted this year; maybe only Sam Hayes, who is as much a forward as a ruckman. Clubs will trim down to 2 ruckmen and perhaps a rookie to develop for the long term. True power forwards are being replaced by mobile agile forwards. Tall, mobile players are now playing in the midfield, not just at the scoring ends of the ground.

I wouldn't argue about Balta being raw and a project player, but I interpret this as a positive, in that he has a lot of upside. I back our development team to get the best out of players. We don't need a draftee to play footy next year. We actually need to give opportunities to players already on our list when we have few spots available.

We drafted 9 players last year and only Shane Edwards is gone. Our annual intake and development is far greater than we can use at the club, so we are really doing player development for other clubs as well as our own. It's paid off with the Sam Murray trade in that we got such good compensation for a player who would struggle to get a shot at senior footy with us. And this in turn increases our chances of drafting players that will go on to play AFL football.

All this is key to rebuilding on the run. We are just about there now. We have a lot of good young players who will continue to improve over the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Are there any Academy prospects this year that we would be considering?
    We had a fair number of academy players as top ups in the NEAFL, but none looked quite up to AFL footy imo. We still have 19 yo Jake Brown as a possibility as well as James Bell and Jack Hardman, who have some prospects of being drafted. It's hard to say if we will draft any of them. I don't think any are worth a pick in the ND.

There's no reason to draft Liam Maze. Besides already having more than enough depth in this area, there will be plenty of proven ruckmen available as DFAs over the coming years.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 23rd October 2017 at 01:14 PM.

All this talk of recruiting another ruckman is making me nervous. Surely not!

So how does academy player selection work in the rookie draft (if we dont take them in the preseason draft)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    So how does academy player selection work in the rookie draft (if we don't take them in the preseason draft)
    Any academy player not taken in the ND can be prelisted as a Cat B rookie. We can also prelist players from GWS if they are not taken by GWS as Cat B rookies (Harry Cunningham, Sam Fisher) and we also have access to non-drafted NSW zone players like Sam Murray, but I'm not sure how that works. He may have been in the GWS zone and not taken by them.

You can see the trend for how clubs will list manage ruckmen. St Kilda have gone the way of 2 on the main list plus a rookie.

From STK website:

St Kilda can confirm the following list changes ahead of the 2017 AFL Draft.

American-born ruckman Jason Holmes has been informed he will not be offered a new contract for 2018.

Fellow ruckman Lewis Pierce has also been delisted, however, the Saints have committed to re-drafting the 22-year-old in the 2017 Rookie Draft.

Both Holmes and Pierce struggled for opportunity this season with Billy Longer preferred as the number 1 ruck option and Tom Hickey the next in line
    We might evolve to rotating 3 mobile KPPs through the ruck. For the Swans we might see something like Reid, Aliir and Toby Pink as such a trio. All are mobile and can play in the ruck and both in the forward and defensive lines. Certainly dual position players like Darcy Cameron will be part of the picture. It's another reason I like tall utilities, as it gives the team more flexibility. It's like having a built in Plan B by just rotating the tall utilities to different positions if things aren't going well during the game.