Page 219 of 267 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 2,617 to 2,628 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm on the road so haven't had a chance to have a good look at the trades but the Qld clubs appear on face value to have had an amateur hour and given way too much for the incomings and got far too little for the outgoings. Nett trades will probably be a shellacking.

Absobloodylutely wrapped in our massive pick upgrade, providing Murray doesn't become a gun! But in our club I trust.
    I'm not sure we could have done much more. I'm sure we'd have preferred to keep Murray, but there seemed to be momentum for him to go and presumably they could better guarantee an opportunity in the senior team.

Like you, the deal we got was above expectations and justifiable even if he goes on to have a decent career.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Our draft picks for this year are #14, #33, #51, #88. The fact that we gave away #70 in the Murray trade signals that it wasn't going to be utilised as a live pick.

From our senior list we have lost Laidler, Leonardis, Talia and B.Jack.

Looks like we will use the first 3 picks and upgrade Melican with the last pick.

Not sure what the point of putting AJ on the rookie list and picking someone live with #88 will be. Or perhaps they could look at promoting another rookie (O'Riordan most likely) in AJ's place.
    Thanks, this is helpful. Agreed that a swap with O'Riordan seems to be a worst case scenario for AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Pretty obvious now that Geelong got pick 19 for Motlop in an agreement with the AFL that it would go to GC in the Ablett deal. Another AFL orchestrated outcome.

In a surprise, Geelong gave away Darcy Lang, who went in 2013 draft just after we took Jones, for virtually nothing. It makes Sam Murray look more valuable than Lang by some considerable margin. We can't be that good traders. I has to be Collingwood's incompetence.
    The VFL love looking after Geelong. Didn't they give Geelong two first round picks when Ablett left? They also did nothing when they were receiving their plethora of father/son players, yet when we legally recruit one player, Franklin, we get a trade ban.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    From memory the Hawks only got pick 17 for Buddy? The system is broken

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    not too fussed, just happy to keep Alir
    Watts the only real target and not worried about missing out
    We are in the window, no need to bring in anything other than big fish

I still see the irony of whinging about a trade ban (immoral I know) yet not doing anything since it has been lifted ???
    We probably can't because we had the COLA whipped out from under our feet. It's not easy dropping 10% from your wages in the space of three seasons. The AFL know that this would severely affect us in doing so; why they felt the need to also impose the trading ban beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Well yes but it was the 'immoral' part (with its implication of dishonest behaviour by the Swans with COLA) that we were outraged about (and I wouldn't call it 'whinging'.)

The Swans themselves said at the time they were not likely to be looking to do much in the trade market anyway - and I think this is the reason they didn't take more vigorous action to fight the ban. But if the Swans had done nothing whatsoever to get the ban modified even the Jetta/Sinclair swap would not have been done. Some might have been happy about that but I doubt Jetta and his family would have been.

It wasn't just the club that was being punished for some imaginary felony.
    I blame the trade ban for us overpaying Sinclair. We essentially had to pay him a similar amount to Jettas contract. Without doing that we would have had to let Jetta walk out on us.

Veterans List
    Picks 14, 33, 51, 88, 106 so if we continue to run with 38 on the senior list we have four spots, upgrade Melican, 14, 33, 51 at the ND.

If we want to bring in an inexpensive FA as depth then AJ might be dropped back to the rookie list or he gets a minimum one year contract to see if he can make it back after a full pre-season.

All in all a professional trade period by us, no last hour rushing, just a quiet extraction from the Pies of a highly valuable second rounder in the 2018 mega draft. Pies look to be in no-man's land, I just hope they are bottom four next year :-)

Crows did well, still got good picks this year, Gibbs, and have two picks in each of the first four rounds next year. Got Dees and Brisbane to cough up more than they should have for Lever & Cameron.

Senior Player
    From the NEAFL games I saw Murray looked pretty good. Not a definite keeper though and we got a reasonable return if next year's draft is so good.

The team to watch over the next 3 years will be Hawthorn. If O'Meara doesn't come good they have traded themselves into big trouble.

Gut feeling is that we may have another player like paps in mind ie not in the first draft

I don't know why Collingwood went so hard for Murray. He seems a lot like Brayden Maynard: A quick and competitive defender with a powerful left boot, who often misreads the play. So now they've got 2 of them.

The trade has to be judged on the probability of success from the outcome as things stand now. It doesn't really matter if Murray goes on to become an elite player. The probability is that we will get a better player than Murray with a mid 20s pick in next year's draft. And the reality is that Murray would have to push past several players just to get a go in the seniors, so was more likely than not to be lost to us anyway.

I can't see us going after a delisted FA. I don't know of any that wouldn't just add to the congestion for those vying for spots in the senior side. Our depth is just fine. There's no real gain to be had.

It's early days, and it's looking a year into the future, but Nick Blakey is more likely a late first rounder than a top 10 pick, so even if we win the premiership he would be fully paid for with our pick 18 if bid at 13 or later. The 2 second rounders will come in handy. 2018 could be another good draft for us.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 19th October 2017 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    From memory the Hawks only got pick 17 for Buddy? The system is broken
    Hawthorn actually only got pick 19 as compensation for Buddy - the same as Geelong got for Motlop.

The AFL ruled that the compensation pick had to fall after Hawthorn�s pick in the draft order -which as premiers was pick 18 (although I think they had traded that out anyway).

It was reported at the time that had Buddy played for Melbourne, the Dees would have got a compensation pick 3 for him.

I agree with you - this system is not working (and it�s not transparent). It�s also unfair that compensation picks push down the picks of clubs not involved in the transaction.

I�m inclined to the view that there should be no compensation picks for FAs. (However I�m also aware that some of this same criticism can also be made of the priority drafting rights that academy clubs have.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know why Collingwood went so hard for Murray. He seems a lot like Brayden Maynard: A quick and competitive defender with a powerful left boot, who often misreads the play. So now they've got 2 of them.

The trade has to be judged on the probability of success from the outcome as things stand now. It doesn't really matter if Murray goes on to become an elite player. The probability is that we will get a better player than Murray with a mid 20s pick in next year's draft. And the reality is that Murray would have to push past several players just to get a go in the seniors, so was more likely than not to be lost to us anyway.

I can't see us going after a delisted FA. I don't know of any that wouldn't just add to the congestion for those vying for spots in the senior side. Our depth is just fine. There's no real gain to be had.

It's early days, and it's looking a year into the future, but Nick Blakey is more likely a late first rounder than a top 10 pick, so even if we win the premiership he would be fully paid for with our pick 18 if bid at 13 or later. The 2 second rounders will come in handy. 2018 could be another good draft for us.
    I'd like to see us trade up in picks next year so we have a pick prior to Blakeys selection. If we could get a pick around the low teens and then pay for Blakey with the dregs.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    It was reported at the time that had Buddy played for Melbourne, the Dees would have got a compensation pick 3 for him.
    Like Melbourne got for Frawley when he left for Hawthorn.Crazy stuff