Page 113 of 267 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,345 to 1,356 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    True but it was extremely annoying him just saying when ever he in front of camera or on the radio that he was definitely playing. He didn't even give the cliques of we need to tick the boxes or train Wednesday and see how it pulls up. I like McVeigh one of my favourite players of the last decade hopefully Jude Micky O Tadhg or some of the old guard convince him to retire a one club player.
    Premiership Captain. Took the cup on the big day.

With Hawthorn - it wasn't Hodge who went, and I doubt Selwood will go from Geelong.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I seem to be a trout against the stream here but I think the opportunity of Jared to transition into coaching in a new environment is pretty compelling for him and I hope he does what is best for him and his family.

I think the one club player tag is over-rated, his contribution to us won't be stained by a gap year at another club just as Sam Mitchell's legacy at the Hawks won't bet tainted by a year at West Coast. And it could be a good opportunity for him and his family to get out of their comfort zone and have a new adventure.

I would however really like it for him to get to 300 games with us and I'd prefer to not see him at GWS but would understand why he may choose that option. I know Alistair Lynch wrote an open letter trying to get him to go to the Lions, he is clearly widely respected in the game and the club should take a lot of credit for that.

From a list management perspective it makes sense too. It allows Newman to make a slot down back his own and we having plenty of talent banging down the door. And let's not forget the cap space difference between keeping Jared and taking a third round draft pick. Even at reduced terms that is probably a $150,000 difference, money that can be used in helping re-sign the likes of Papley, Newman and Hewett.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 20th August 2017 at 11:28 PM.

I wouldn't blame McVeigh for wanting to play regular footy next year and I suppose it's something we couldn't promise him, even if his form warrants it. We need to balance player development against the advantages of having an experienced, skillful, but aging player in the side. There are also many marginal players coming out of contract next year and the extra spot in the side would be helpful in evaluating their worth. I didn't think his body would hold up as well as it has. He's made a great contribution since he's come back in the side. I would prefer to see him stay on with the understanding that he may spend a fair bit of time in the NEAFL even if fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

I think the one club player tag is over-rated, his contribution to us won't be stained by a gap year at another club just as Sam Mitchell's legacy at the Hawks won't bet tainted by a year at West Coast. And it could be a good opportunity for him and his family to get out of their comfort zone and have a new adventure.
    Laboured point, but....

I have a different view of Roos from when he coached us. He finished as a player with us who transitioned to coach and lead us to a premiership. Since then he has gone on and done other things that has diminished his link to the Swans.

Why do I bring up Roos??? There is a STATUE of him at the SCG! Along with 10 other individuals (Benaud, Waugh, Messenger, Gasnier, etc) he has been chosen (along with Kelly - tick) to immortalise the Sydney Swans and AFL at the SCG.

One club players/coaches matter.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the Rookie List
    McVeigh is in our best 22 and will likely be next year as well. He is a super leader, calm (except when being kissed!), great reader of the play and has probably the best foot skills at the club.
    He is obviously getting toward the end of his career, but I don't think we should be pensioning him off just yet.

I think that Macca is perfectly capable of playing another year but he is also very capable of dropping off the cliff sometime in the next 12 months and more likely to get injured along the way. As sad as it would be to see him play for another club, especially given his excellent form, it would be the best for both parties. He gets to experience a different environment to broaden his knowledge of the game plus we firm up a half back position for Newman. We lost Membrey because Goodsey played one year too many. We should always favour youth over sentimentality. The team is greater than the individual.

Anyone know why McVeigh was moved forward during the Adelaide game?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I read it more as a move to get Rohan back with his height because while Walker and Jenkins were being contained their secondary talls in McGovern and Lynch were having an impact on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Anyone know why McVeigh was moved forward during the Adelaide game?
    Because in the first 30 seconds for the 3rd q Lynch runaway from him set up Gov for his 3rd goal

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I think that Macca is perfectly capable of playing another year but he is also very capable of dropping off the cliff sometime in the next 12 months and more likely to get injured along the way. As sad as it would be to see him play for another club, especially given his excellent form, it would be the best for both parties. He gets to experience a different environment to broaden his knowledge of the game plus we firm up a half back position for Newman. We lost Membrey because Goodsey played one year too many. We should always favour youth over sentimentality. The team is greater than the individual.
    I agree (except for Goodsey playing a year too long - he could have played longer!). I would love to see Macca finish a one club player but will wish him well if he goes somewhere else next year and will always embrace him as a champion Swan.

Not sure I see him going to play at the Giants - they have already recruited Deledio and Griffen as older, experienced leaders and their playing list is no longer so young and green so they don't really need him. I could certainly see him coaching there.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I read it more as a move to get Rohan back with his height because while Walker and Jenkins were being contained their secondary talls in McGovern and Lynch were having an impact on the game.
    This ongoing problem is so easily solved and so obvious it need not be mentioned.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This ongoing problem is so easily solved and so obvious it need not be mentioned.
    Who would you be Aliiring to in that comment Ludwig?

I thought we needed another tall defender a couple of games recently and probably will in the finals. I know Rampe plays tall but surely we should cover oppositions third tall forward with a mobile tall like ........ummm ....... ummmmm ... Aliir? and leave Rampe to a mid sized forward.

Probably too late to make a change now unless it's someone like Towers or second ruck making way.

McVeigh, on recent form is definitely worth another contract then let his footy do the talking as to what level he plays, no gold pass. If he wants to get into coaching with maybe a year of playing, Brisbane would be an ideal destination. His leadership and footy nous would be a good fit. Then back home in a few years.