Page 242 of 267 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252 ... LastLast
Results 2,893 to 2,904 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Our ruck stocks are fine. Our reject ruckman just won a flag. It's just how we play them that's the problem.

Veterans List
    Twomey has us mentioned against Naughton and Bonar in the first round and Houlahan in the second.

I doubt the first two will still be on the board at 14 but with Freo, Saints & Carlton all having two picks before us it may be a slightly mixed up draft after pick 6 with the first hal;f dozen looking reasonably set.

Our next josh Kennedy ???

Champion Data rankings: Stats gurus pick top 30 - FOX SPORTS Australia

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/champion-datas-mock-draft-afl-number-crunchers-pick-top-30/news-story/61b954d1b1cc9dbe7a4bb7a14e44ba4f

PICK 14: NICK COFFIELD

Clubs: Northern/Vic Metro

Position: Midfield/Half Back

Size: 190cm, 83kg

Champion Data says: Coffield is a genuine utility, playing as a half-back, half-forward and midfielder through his junior career. The Northern Knights captain ranked in the top 100 players in the TAC Cup for clearances, uncontested possessions, intercept marks and goals.

foxfooty.com.au says: He was able to intercept, direct and spark forays forward from half-back throughout the season. He�s incredibly versatile, while he�s got strong leadership traits. He wants to be able to push into the midfield more often as his career progresses.

Cal Twomey has posted his latest draft form guide: Cal Twomey's Phantom form guide: November edition - AFL.com.au.

He seems to think there is a chance that Jaidyn Stephenson or Aaron Naughton could get through to us and a real possibility of Brander still being on the table (although he doesn't seem to think that we would select Brander). He also thinks that Bonar or Murphy may appeal to us and be our selection (presumably especially if some of the higher rated options don't slip through to us).

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Cal Twomey has posted his latest draft form guide: Cal Twomey's Phantom form guide: November edition - AFL.com.au.

He seems to think there is a chance that Jaidyn Stephenson or Aaron Naughton could get through to us and a real possibility of Brander still being on the table (although he doesn't seem to think that we would select Brander). He also thinks that Bonar or Murphy may appeal to us and be our selection (presumably especially if some of the higher rated options don't slip through to us).
    Stephenson would be great but can�t see him making it to 14. Not convinced about Bonar who could well be available.

Here's a draft preview for the Swans specifically: AFL Draft Preview: Sydney Swans - Footy Prophet.

The more I think about it the less clue I have and I feel I just have to place my faith in our recruiters and just look forward with interest to see who we pick/get.

The Swans featured 4 players on their website today: Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Allen and Ed Richards, the first 3 being KPPs. I don't know if it means anything though. I like them all and wouldn't mind taking one from that list. We haven't spoken much about Allen, who is a slightly undersized key forward who was voted the best U18 player (Larke Medal). He's a real solid footballer who I think will make a good AFL player. He has scope to play in the midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if WCE took him at pick 13.

On Cal Twomey's power rankings Ed Richards moved up to #14, while Balta has dropped out of his top 30, which I find a bit strange.

It's a shame Emma Quayle has gone to the Giants. She was the best talent scout. I will miss her player rankings.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 17th November 2017 at 07:54 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    I am struggling to think who are the 10 "general" forwards and 3 "key" forwards that they reckon we have on the list. They also have us down for 4 ruckmen, indicating that none of Tippett, Sinclair or Cameron is included in those 13 forwards.

Buddy and Reid are clearly two key forwards. Do they have Pink as the other? Maybe.

Then as general forwards we have Papley, Rohan, Hayward and Rose. They've probably included Florent in this category, and maybe Towers and Dawson too. Robinson? Jack? (given he did spend a bit of time forward last year.) Heeney? Ronke?

I guess I've come up with the requisite number of names, but many of those players aren't ones I think are really forwards. Not in terms of where they do and will provide most value to the team.

The traditional categories for player positions are becoming anachronistic and no longer reflect the way the game is currently played. There are some new categories popping up like 'outside runner' which is traditionally what was called a wingman, but with a wider scope for what function the player performs. What is a Dustin Martin or a Dangerfield? Inside mid/key forward? Forwards and backs are often swap-able. Nick Smith is a lock down small defender, but I'm sure he would have been a very good midfielder if he wasn't so good at being a small defender.

The focus should shift more to the kinds of talents a player brings to the game, rather than the position they play or have played as a junior. The position a player had as a junior may not be the best position for that player in the AFL.

I also have more faith in Emma Quayle's (and others') rankings than Cal Twomey's. However Twomey has a good record with his phantom draft, especially top 10.

Maybe Balta or some other bargain will slip to us at 33 - like Hayward did - that'd be sweet!

I think Pink is clearly the third key forward. I agree 10 "general forwards" is weird. Harry C is another contender and, at least until this year, Hewett might have been listed forward too.

So (1) what do the Swans need and (2) who are they going to pick at 14 and 33?

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    So (1) what do the Swans need and (2) who are they going to pick at 14 and 33?
    You have 242 pages to read...