Page 241 of 267 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,892 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Veterans List
    Gee this thread has gone quiet.

Interesting article on the Swans website three days ago where they confirm we'll only take 14, 33 & 51 at the draft then they profile just four players, Rayner who is a likely number one, then Clark, O'Brien & Constable who are right in the mix at our pick 14. Just too obvious to flag those three if they were in our mix, maybe we are actually targeting another player or two at 14 rather than one of those. Maybe having a reach for someone like Brander or Houlahan?

Veterans List
    Terry Wallace reviewed our list on SEN. I didn't catch all of it but these were the points I heard:
    - We need to play with more imagination. (I think a fair few supporters agree with this)
    - We need to mix up the midfield as our players get too tired by the end of the year. We don't move Kennedy to the forward line like Dusty. (I actually think we did rotate the midfield this season).
    - He isn't confident in our ruck stocks.
    - We don't have a good record at the MCG. (Tell us something we don't know!)
    - We don't lose players and we have a great culture.

Veterans List
    Terry Wallace, a man who's made a career of being a mediocre nobody. His ramblings at this time of year can be embarrassing, sometimes he makes statements that show a negligible understanding of draft rules, particularly around the points system.

That off my chest, the points he makes above we can all agree with to some extent.

Mix up the midfield? We're starting to do that, a fit Heeney wil help and Papley will be seen more in there, who knows what the longer term Mills plan is and Jones should play mid/fwd rather than back/mid. Dustin Martin would have helped but we missed out on him :-)

Not sure about his ruck assessment, which club does have good ruck stocks? We just lack a standout ruckman or ones that can stay fit!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Gee this thread has gone quiet.

Interesting article on the Swans website three days ago where they confirm we'll only take 14, 33 & 51 at the draft then they profile just four players, Rayner who is a likely number one, then Clark, O'Brien & Constable who are right in the mix at our pick 14. Just too obvious to flag those three if they were in our mix, maybe we are actually targeting another player or two at 14 rather than one of those. Maybe having a reach for someone like Brander or Houlahan?
    This thread has got deathly quiet. Thanks for posting!

I think that article is a generic AFL article hosted on the Swans website rather than one written specifically about who the Swans might pick. There has been a lot of talk in various places linking O'Brien and Constable to the Swans. Think Clark will definitely be gone by pick 14.

Kinnear Beatson was interviewed by the Swans and had very little to say beyond "Best available" except we potentially were lacking leg speed and a key forward in the future (like Blakey next year perhaps) Beatson draft preview - sydneyswans.com.au.

Cal Twomey's mock draft (not sure how that differs from his Phantom draft) has us drafting Aaron Naughton based on needs rather than talent. Road to the Draft - AFL.com.au Lots of experts seem to think we lack KPDs to replace Reg when we have Aliir and Maibaum potentially waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Terry Wallace reviewed our list on SEN. I didn't catch all of it but these were the points I heard:
    - We need to play with more imagination. (I think a fair few supporters agree with this)
    - We need to mix up the midfield as our players get too tired by the end of the year. We don't move Kennedy to the forward line like Dusty. (I actually think we did rotate the midfield this season).
    - He isn't confident in our ruck stocks.
    - We don't have a good record at the MCG. (Tell us something we don't know!)
    - We don't lose players and we have a great culture.
    Terry Wallace is an A-grade t00l. What a relief that we ended up with Paul Roos and not him back in whenever it was. And he does have a knack of stating the obvious.

I'm not confident in our ruck stocks either mind you.

I don't have much regard for Terry Wallace as a list manager. Like with most of his calls, in his review of the Swans he got a few things rights and a few things wrong. I agree that we should move Mills to the midfield, but 2 of his draft calls, Constable and Hayes, would be the last players I would take. We don't need another slowish inside mid or another ruckman with a poor tank. We had to move Mitchell out just to make room for Hewett. Mills is a great young player, but no speed demon. We've got a powerful midfield, but need more speed, but who doesn't.

I would agree with Wallace about needing more imagination. Longmire is the slow and steady type that is good at building consistent habits and adherence to structure, but not so good at changing things up, especially during a game. We brought some new players into the side at various times, but didn't experiment much with positional or tactical alternatives. We finished the season playing 2 ruckmen again, Sinclair giving us 2 possessions for the game, Mills still in the back line, one tall defender and Aliir, Dawson and Hayward in the reserves. We painted ourselves into a corner by the time finals rolled around.

In his little video piece today Kinnear Beatson mentioned the need for leg speed and a forward down the track. That's probably been the consensus on RWO as well. It's one of the reasons I think Noah Balta should be in the mix as he covers both requirements. The 5 players I've been most interested in all have good leg speed: Balta, Richards, Bonar, Clark and O'Brien. I'm not sure what we will do if Brander is available at pick 14.

I haven't considered Aaron Naughton mainly because the low probably that he will be available at pick 14, otherwise he would have to be in the mix, although I also don't think we are in need of a key defender. Besides Aliir and Maibaum, Toby Pink is more likely to make it as a defender than a forward even though he hasn't played there in our reserves, but has at junior level. There should be several reasonable KPDs available at our other picks. Brander and Balta would probably make better options than Naughton because of their ability to play both ends of the ground.

For better or worse, we are too heavily committed to do much about our ruck stocks, which run deep in numbers and mediocrity. They can't be offloaded, so we have to live with it for a few more years. Freo and NM may play 2 ruckmen at time, as much for development purposes than anything. It doesn't matter for them. They're not contenders. I would think we will join the rest of the league in playing 1 ruckman per game next season.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 16th November 2017 at 08:06 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Terry Wallace, a man who's made a career of being a mediocre nobody. His ramblings at this time of year can be embarrassing, sometimes he makes statements that show a negligible understanding of draft rules, particularly around the points system.

That off my chest, the points he makes above we can all agree with to some extent.

Mix up the midfield? We're starting to do that, a fit Heeney wil help and Papley will be seen more in there, who knows what the longer term Mills plan is and Jones should play mid/fwd rather than back/mid. Dustin Martin would have helped but we missed out on him :-)

Not sure about his ruck assessment, which club does have good ruck stocks? We just lack a standout ruckman or ones that can stay fit!
    In fairness, he built his career on multiple premierships and club best and fairest awards.

Also.......Trade intimidated by Kin re a key possie player

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    In fairness, he built his career on multiple premierships and club best and fairest awards.
    In fairness you could put current day Stephen Hawking in most of Plough�s premiership sides and he�d be a premiership player. They were good sides.

Alan Joyce was a very lucky man

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Also.......Trade intimidated by Kin re a key possie player

Give us one of your Key Position Players, ............... or else!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    In fairness you could put current day Stephen Hawking in most of Plough�s premiership sides and he�d be a premiership player. They were good sides.

Alan Joyce was a very lucky man
    Which only makes his two best and fairest medals at Hawthorn - including one in a premiership year - all the more impressive.

Say what you like about his coaching and I�ll probably agree, but he was a bloody good player in his own right. Neither mediocre, nor a nobody. (Apologies for going off topic but there�s no need to be disrespectful).

Senior Player
    Agree with Von

Even his coaching career wasn't disgraceful, got the Dogs to two prelims and he wasn't the only one to fail at Richmond