Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans Name New Captain Josh Kennedy

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think he'll make an excellent captain. I'm just as excited, though, by the news that he's recommitted to being a Swan (which almost certainly means he'll retire a Swan), and that the Hawks can put their pilfering fingers into another pie.
    This for me as well, great news about being made captain but locking him away for the next three years - just wonderful.

Veterans List
    What a bolster for our preseason. Great that Macca & KJ remain in the leadership group.

Reasons? - Macca probably wants to just focus on his footy in what could be his last year, or two. KJ has had a lot of personal problems fester this year so is happy handing it over.

Kennedy is a fantastic choice, leaders lead by example and no other player has such a high consistent standard or is as admired for his Blood Spirit.

Also great news that JPK has re-signed for another three taking him to 31 years of age then year by year and handing on the captaincy to? Parks?

So happy about this. Joey really deserves it. I used to be of the opinion that he was too quiet but in recent years he has been more outgoing in front of the camera and will clearly be more than capable. Extending his contract by 3 years is another big win. It will rob Scumthorn of a future father-son selection and means that we can concentrate on re-signing Heeney, etc.

It will also mean that we won't be obliged to play McVeigh if he isn't up to it. I'm also happy that we have one captain. IMO having two is a bit of a joke.

Great selection. Superstar who never lets us down when it matters. One of my favourite ever Swans.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Honestly don't understand this criticism of a rotational captaincy it has worked incredibly well for us since Roos took over. We've had co-captains for more than a decade and been to 5 grand finals and won two of them.

Anyway Hannebery will be named co-captain next year inevitable.

Also to Hawthorn Thank You so Very Much!

Excellent selection and great training for the three vice captains.
    But a little overshadowed by the fact that Joey signed on till 2020.
    Very pleased all around

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Honestly don't understand this criticism of a rotational captaincy it has worked incredibly well for us since Roos took over. We've had co-captains for more than a decade and been to 5 grand finals and won two of them.

Anyway Hannebery will be named co-captain next year inevitable.

Also to Hawthorn Thank You so Very Much!
    Yes, I tend to think that the more democratic nature of co-captaincy, was one of the reasons that we won 2005 premiership, with a team that was arguably less talented, than the other teams that we beat in the finals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    So happy about this. Joey really deserves it. I used to be of the opinion that he was too quiet but in recent years he has been more outgoing in front of the camera and will clearly be more than capable. Extending his contract by 3 years is another big win. It will rob Scumthorn of a future father-son selection and means that we can concentrate on re-signing Heeney, etc.

It will also mean that we won't be obliged to play McVeigh if he isn't up to it. I'm also happy that we have one captain. IMO having two is a bit of a joke.
    Yes, it's always nice to get one over the mustard on turd.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Great selection. Superstar who never lets us down when it matters. One of my favourite ever Swans.
    Yep, yep, yep. Really pleased the club saw this needed to happen. He was impressive in the lead-up to the GF, dominated the match, and spoke for the team after the game. Three time club champion. A step forward.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Seems a win, win, win situation - timing of the change - choice of Joey for new captain - one captain model. I liked the 2 captains' model which has worked so well for us, it suited the times and those chosen to lead. For the captains, being able to share the load must have lessened the stress considerably and for the team they had two different personalities and styles of leadership to relate to. However Joey is the standout replacement and he will have Macca and Kieran for support. The vice-captains will have the opportunity to further their leadership skills and take on a bit more responsibility but still be free to give themselves 100% to their footy, which will be necessary if we are to go one step further next year. Hanners might challenge for the Brownlow medal.

Hats off to Macca and Kieran for recognising that the time was right to pass the 'baton' and for being willing to do so.

Warming the Bench
    I always thought Swans liked having two NSW boys co-captaining, not the Kiz and McV weren't there on merit I just thing it was a good look for local development.

Great appointment in Joey though, I wonder if the team voted or if it was the powers that be?

When Joey played for the Hawks he seriously struggled with game sense and skills

I remember watching him at the Hawks simply fumble the ball one on none going into the goal square and compared to their week in week out midfield he was such a level below

But Joey is an incredible example of the Swans observing a couple of his strengths and then providing a framework just for this strengths only in the first season i.e. a big bodied inside ball winner !

such a great strategy and such a perfect fit for our typical contested ball style of play

Ironically as we all know..... joey has gone on to kick goals, can lead from HFF when needed and he has developed into one of the most consistent inside players in the comp year after year after year

an elite player in his role
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I'm overseas at present but was very excited to read this news when I logged onto the Australian news. Joey will lead by example and it's a good time for Macca and Kiz to step down. They have both served our Club with distinction. Now that Joey is on board for the coming 4 seasons we can focus on long-term deals for Heeney and Jones. Go Swannies in 2017!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast