Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neafl dev players exit

Neafl dev players exit

Word around is that Wilson, Hebron, Reinhardt, Baron Hay, Veale etc all released from Swans Neafl. Apparently the majority have joined Sydney Uni Neafl Side along with Jack Dimery. It is good for some of the young up and comers who will get their chance, but also sad to see some really good players move on. I thought Hebron was AFL ready.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think it's fair enough that they have moved on. They are not considered (at the moment) to be AFL-level players, and the academy is intended to be about development of young players. The graduation of these players into the broader second tier (ie NEAFL) clubs (or other second tier competitions) is an important and inevitable part of what the academies are about.

Is there a similar group of last year's U18s who might stay on in an U19 development programme with the academy? There didn't seem to be much exposure of the U18 group at NEAFL level in 2016. Brown got a few opportunities (and I think he also had a few injuries to contend with) but the bulk of the NEAFL top-up spots seemed to go to that U19 group.

Didn't Hiscox play Sydney Uni NEAFL before joint us?

Will he be playing anywhere next year?

Veterans List
    If the acadamies can raise the standard in the NEAFL, that is a good thing for our developing players as it means the jump to senior level will not be as great.

I think that is an advantage the Vic, SA & WA sides have as their second tier comp is above NEAFL standard where there are some quite weak teams.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's fair enough that they have moved on. They are not considered (at the moment) to be AFL-level players, and the academy is intended to be about development of young players. The graduation of these players into the broader second tier (ie NEAFL) clubs (or other second tier competitions) is an important and inevitable part of what the academies are about.

Is there a similar group of last year's U18s who might stay on in an U19 development programme with the academy? There didn't seem to be much exposure of the U18 group at NEAFL level in 2016. Brown got a few opportunities (and I think he also had a few injuries to contend with) but the bulk of the NEAFL top-up spots seemed to go to that U19 group.
    I think there will be some under 19s including Brown who got a sub 10min 3 km on the weekend. As I understand it there will be 4 under 19s who stay with the academy including Jake Brown, and Jarrod Osborne.

Young Jack Veale has come to Sturt here in SA in the SANFL. His Dad Robert Veale played for Sturt in the 80's. I don't know a lot about Jack as a player, however I hope he can play league footy.
    I am a proud South Australian Sydney Swans Member - Go BLOODS

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk31 View Post
    Young Jack Veale has come to Sturt here in SA in the SANFL. His Dad Robert Veale played for Sturt in the 80's. I don't know a lot about Jack as a player, however I hope he can play league footy.
    First thing you can learn about him is his names Jake

Warming the Bench
    Yarran Jaffer-Williams is playing at Port Melbourne.
    It has been a couple of years now but the competition needs to hold on to any ex academy players to make it a stronger league as was stated earlier.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    Yarran Jaffer-Williams is playing at Port Melbourne.
    It has been a couple of years now but the competition needs to hold on to any ex academy players to make it a stronger league as was stated earlier.
    There are a whole bunch of them playing for Sydney Uni. The problem is with only one non-AFL affliated NEAFL club there's not much chance of them ending up at another NEAFL club.

Do you mean Sydney-based NEAFL club, ugg?

Warming the Bench
    I think Lloyd Perris is also playing for Sydney Uni?

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    I think Lloyd Perris is also playing for Sydney Uni?
    He is. I also noticed that Kane Murphy is playing for them as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast