Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Isaac Heeney

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    It was reported on chanel 7 news tonight that it was a $4.5m contract. Whoa! If that is close to the mark that is serious coin for a 20yo.
    I think itll be a bit lower than that to be honest - but it wouldnt suprise me. The kid has all the hallmarks of being an absolute superstar - just look at what he did in the finals when he got more time in the midfield.

I expect if he becomes the player we hope his next contract really will be a spectacular one - hence why i think he will be on a bit less than most are guessing for this contract.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    So happy to hear the news. North (and others) can stop sniffing around now.

It has been a great week:
    1. Kennedy named captain and signing contract.
    2. Heeney signing contract
    3. Just heard that Mike Fitzpatrick is stepping down!! Don't think it will stop the corruption though.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    You not talking about mikefitzpatrick from triple m radio station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    You not talking about mikefitzpatrick from triple m radio station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No it's our AFL mate. It was reported on channel 7 as breaking news and that he was stepping down early next year. Unless channel 7 got it mixed up and got me excited for no reason!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I expect the $4.5m over 5 years is pretty close to the mark.

Having said that I do think that a fair amount, say $200K a year, is probably from an ASA basically for his image rights as he becomes the face of the Swans, really being the second most recognisable face after Buddy. So yes he gets elevated into the very top tier of our pay structure (below Buddy and possibly Tippett) but I think that is a risk worth taking as I think he could well be that good and we just could not afford to lose him.

And given that he will be on minimum wage this year (unless the $4.5m includes a year three upgrade) and the last two years iy is hard to begrudge him demanding close to top dollar. But having said that I am sure he could have gotten over $1m a year elsewhere, such is the crazy inflation at the elite player level, but good players usually accept slight unders if they are happy.

And I think that this absolutely vindicates the decision to effectively let Tom go as I am not sure we could have afforded to keep Heeney and Mills if he was sucking $600K a year out of our wages bill. I personally think he will be replaced very very easily and that he will be an average player at best for the Hawks.

Loving our list management. I wouldn't be surprised if we also move pretty quickly on Jones and I'd be confident we'll get that deal done - I'd like him to sign a four year extension but it would not surprise me if he hedges his bets and adds a couple of years as he is on the verge of becoming a very valuable player.

Reid I think we'll be a bit cagey. Horse is a fan but if he gets fit and firing we may well not be able to afford to keep him. But then again we would get good compensation (a first rounder I'd say) so I'll be reasonably relaxed about what happens there even though my preference is to keep him.

But for now we can all enjoy our Xmas without fretting about seeing Isaac in other colours

I hope Tom Mitchell is sitting there in his new colors, reading about Heeney's deal & realising what it takes to earn a decent contract at the Swans ... ability AND loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Unprecedented!
    You may wish to check the spelling on this post. Apparently the correct version is now unpresidented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It has been a great week:
    1. Kennedy named captain and signing contract.
    2. Heeney signing contract
    3. Just heard that Mike Fitzpatrick is stepping down!! Don't think it will stop the corruption though.
    Niiiiice! What an awesome start to the preseason.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 18th December 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I hope Tom Mitchell is sitting there in his new colors, reading about Heeney's deal & realising what it takes to earn a decent contract at the Swans ... ability AND loyalty.
    Mitchell would probably have been "loyal" to the Swans had he had a contract of that size waived in front of him.

I'd be surprised if the Swans are paying that much. Or if they are, it would surely have to be the maximum, with performance incentives built in. Promising as Heeney is, how would it feel to be Kennedy or Hanners or Parker and see a kid who is currently far less accomplished than they are (and may never get to their level) earning a contract of that size. And what message does it give to Mills?

Veterans List
    Fantastic news, but that package seems extraordinary. He is an exceptional young talent though - been a huge off season to date!

Senior Player
    I really believe that Free Agency with its' facility for players to move as they wish will very quickly dilute player loyalty.

Note that all the comments from players about being a one club player come AFTER they have signed extensive contracts.

They have a short time on top dollar, with many never achieving it. I'm sure every player wants to have an unencumbered home and good investments at the end of his career.

AS with every job, they will do what they can to reach a comfortable financial level. If that involves being a part of several clubs over time, so be it.

MLB and NFL, and , to a lesser extent NRL players are all totally mobile. In fact MLB players are traded by their clubs, and have little or no say in it.

This constant rotation of players , strangely enough, does not seem to affect fan loyalty, and I see no reason why it will with AFL.

Our loyalty is to the club, not individual players, even tho we do have favorites.

Thoughts??

Veterans List
    They leave and you don't think much more about them, they arrive and you embrace them. Who was a big Buddy fan when he was at Hawthorn?

Exactly 707.

Loyalty. People think that still exists in Football? Comical. Clubs are only loyal if you're any good so players should absolutely look after themselves.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast