Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Isaac Heeney

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    They leave and you don't think much more about them, they arrive and you embrace them. Who was a big Buddy fan when he was at Hawthorn?
    I was. I was also a fan of GAJ, Nat Fyfe, Chris Judd, Cyril Rioli and Eddie Betts. I enjoy watching the best players apply their craft. It's why Michael Jordan had fans from every corner of the world, not just Chicago Bulls supporters. `

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Exactly 707.

Loyalty. People think that still exists in Football? Comical. Clubs are only loyal if you're any good so players should absolutely look after themselves.
    I still believe players want to stay with a club if they form good relationships with other players and coaches. Some players want to change clubs to be closer to home, better playing opportunities, a chance to win a premiership or to reboot a stagnant career. With all the talk about free agency, there really aren't that many player movements made purely for more money. It's hard to blame a player for accepting an offer when a free agent for a contract well above market value, like Nick Malceski, Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne, to give a few recent examples.

Players like Heeney may get a contract above what might be considered fair market value, even for such a talented player, due to offers from other clubs. Player managers help boost the value of these players and force clubs to pay more to retain elite players. But that's what player managers get paid for. Their position in contract negotiations erodes player loyalty as the interests of the manager rests with remuneration, not loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Mitchell would probably have been "loyal" to the Swans had he had a contract of that size waived in front of him.

I'd be surprised if the Swans are paying that much. Or if they are, it would surely have to be the maximum, with performance incentives built in. Promising as Heeney is, how would it feel to be Kennedy or Hanners or Parker and see a kid who is currently far less accomplished than they are (and may never get to their level) earning a contract of that size. And what message does it give to Mills?
    ++1

liz, you are the voice of reason and sense. I almost invariably agree with your posts. We're lucky to have you.

I really hope Heeney isn't being paid that much yet. He is a fantastic young talent and an ultra-marketable commodity but $4.5m/5years far outstrips what Mitchell was hoping for and while I expect Heeney will surpass Mitchell , he doesn't have that many runs on the board yet. I think we made a hard-nosed, good decision to limit our offer to Mitchell (and thereby effectively let him go) but he is an excellent player and Hawthorn have done well to get him.

My earlier expressed, optimistic view that far from being hemmed in by the salary cap, we might have a war chest I now consider partially vindicated and partially repudiated. I no longer think we can have a war chest to go after some significant trade or free agent next off-season (we'll being doing well to retain all the talent on our list) but we did have the cap space to put this massive deal to Heeney. And I would assume that we have planned to make a competitive offer to Mills in a year's time also. To me, this also increases the chances that this will be Macca's last season as we'll struggle to afford to keep him on our list beyond this year.

Veterans List
    Salary cap raises by at least $1mill and possibly more in 2017 with more yearly rises to come during the life of all those long term contracts we have negotiated for our stars.

Mitchell being traded out was a calculated decision to change our midfield mix, to free up salary cap and to get in another high draft pick.

We can be very pleased with how contract negotiations have proceeded this year, every key player is signed up until 2020, that's good vision! It means there are only a handful of lesser players to tie up in 2017 and no ongoing speculation to mar next year.

Veterans List
    We have an excitement machine for another 5 years. Anyone know what his brownlow odds are.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We have an excitement machine for another 5 years. Anyone know what his brownlow odds are.
    Heeney a big shortener, in to $51 now.

Dangerfield $4.50, Parker, Hanners, JPK at the pointy end too.

They leave and you don't think much more about them, they arrive and you embrace them. Who was a big Buddy fan when he was at Hawthorn?
    Me.
    I ALWAYS wished Buddy played for us.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I was surprised in a good way and a cautious way when I heard the news. That is a long commitment on both sides for such a young player. Where I see the tipping balance from the Clubs point of view is his marketability. He will make the Club money. It is far more then playing ability and potential. He will be the "pin up boy" for 10 to 15 years. It may turn out to be a bargain!

Senior Player
    Who wasn't????

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    He won't be paid that much. Without a doubt. We can't afford it and the precedent would be horrible. Love him and deserves every cent but

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Who wasn't????
    I wasn't exactly overjoyed when I heard the news we'd snaffled Buddy. More about temperament than ability. He's proved me 100% wrong.

I was a fan but it was only watching him every week that I realised how elite and freakish he is, the regularity he does things every week that mere mortals can only dream of.

None of us really know but those stories usually have a margin of truth. I'd say his salary is on par with the elite level players but not above but he is supplemented by the ASA for being the face of the Swans. And that's fair enough because he will genuinely have more responsibilities.

Watching the interview with him, I was very impressed with the way he spoke. Very composed and articulate for a 20 year old, no umms or aahs. Very different and more mature than his previous media dealing. Kind of boy to man stuff but I guess he will have been getting some media grooming from the Swans but he looked very natural and relaxed in front of the camera.

Plus he has definitely put on some muscle the last six months, he will be a real tank in a couple of years.

I agree with almost all of what you have written, MP, except, while noting the changed demeanour and increased maturity in Heeney's interview, I missed his more endearing, open and less polished previous demeanour. It came across as a bit more rehearsed and calculated and less spontaneous and enthusiastic. I'm also not sure that marketing responsibilities (genuine or otherwise) deserve such a massive regular wage but whatever we have paid him simply reflects market forces. I would feel much happier to know that a large component of the contract is for marketing stuff (ASAs) outside the salary cap. In that case I feel it is totally worth it because he is super marketable.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast