Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Isaac Heeney

Pushing for Selection

Isaac Heeney

Channel 7 on sports news tonight . Heeney was offered $1 000 000 to join North Melbourne during trading peroid.
    what do you think it will take to keep him after next season?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Old S.M.Blood View Post
    Channel 7 on sports news tonight . Heeney was offered $1 000 000 to join North Melbourne during trading peroid.
    what do you think it will take to keep him after next season?
    A whole lot less than that. You'd need $1m to go to LOLNorf!

Heeney will become one of the highest paid players at the Swans but at a level similar to Parker, Hanners etc. Like us, he does of course have red and white blood in his veins! Future Captain, going no where.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    A whole lot less than that. You'd need $1m to go to LOLNorf!

Heeney will become one of the highest paid players at the Swans but at a level similar to Parker, Hanners etc. Like us, he does of course have red and white blood in his veins! Future Captain, going no where.
    You may well be right , and I hope you are.

But I do think the era of Free Agency is already making a big difference. Negotiations will be hot and heavy during this season.

The club has already made moves to release salary cap in anticipation of Heeney's re-signing.

It's in everyones best interests for this to be done ASAP (except, of course, AFL 360 type shows and the newspapers who will love a long controversial season of 'will he, won't he?)

Hang on for the ride folks

I jut don't want to hear the phrase 'I'm waiting until the end of the season to make a decision' code for I'm leaving.
    My fear is that in 2018 we're not going to be in a position to offer a healthy amount because both Bud & Tippo will still be on the books. After that we should be OK with Tippo gone, so hopefully Isaac will be OK with a heavily back ended contract.

Tom Derickx was offered $1mil to go to North and he turned them down. It's not a place you want to be 'seen'.

North also offered Xavier Richards $1mil and said they would change their jumper logo to this, to get his father on board, but it just wasn't enough to sway them. Richards said: "Playing for North is more embarrassing than being on the dole. I made some mistakes in my life, but I still have my pride."

Just addressing the commercial side of things, there will be a lot more opportunities for Heeney to earn advertising and endorsement money if he stays in Sydney than if he goes elsewhere. He's going to be a big name in a big market on a winning team. North can offer him a lifetime in the wilderness.

Warming the Bench
    Future swans captain, give him a 10 year deal if we need to

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    ... give him a 10 year deal if we need to
    Unprecedented!
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Thanks goodness we are not in a period like the start up of GWS or the Suns

Like a Gary Ablett Jnr situation

The other options for Heeney will be clubs such as Essendon etc which are not compelling and secondly no beach

Query: was this reported offer $1m per year? Or over 2 or 3 or 4 years? If per year, for how long was the deal?

Our salary cap is the same as other clubs. While Buddy is on a hefty wage we are not the only club with a star player earning big bucks. Tippett's wage is, as far I'm concerned, unknown. I don't know what it was to start off with (though I think it was big $$) but what he is on these days is a complete unknown and may not be as much as people on RWO often seem to think.

It is always possible that another club will make a big offer for one of our stars that we cannot responsibly afford to match or even nearly match and that the player takes the deal (as has just happened with Mitchell). We just have to live with that if it happens. It's the free market; and its the fair and proper operation of the salary cap and equalisation. Even if it turns out to be Heeney or Mills or Parker or Hanners. That said, I don't think a player would lightly change clubs if they are happy and getting opportunities, especially from a successful team, and so we have competitive advantages against the other clubs when it comes to recontracting our own players. Therefore, if we manage ourselves well we should be able to retain our key talent. However, if another club just comes up with a crazy offer (like some thought we did for Buddy), then it may just be a case of "well, that's too good". And it wouldn't really sit well but nor could I blame either the player or the other club, provided they are playing by the rules (no secret side deals - like Tip with the Crows).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Query: was this reported offer $1m per year? Or over 2 or 3 or 4 years? If per year, for how long was the deal?
    It was reported as per year. They didn't mention for how long. They also mentioned that another offer will be made next season.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It was reported as per year. They didn't mention for how long. They also mentioned that another offer will be made next season.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    The kid is good, but $1M a year?! He's played 38 games!

Player payments are getting rediculous!

Thanks Mel.

Unbelievable that they made the offer while he was still contracted - that's not so kosher. Possibly silly too because it gives us a clear heads up for this season of what we need to do. However, I don't think we can afford to pay Heeney anywhere near a million dollars a year, except perhaps for 2-3 years when he's at his peak or when the salary cap is way bigger than it is now.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast