Thread: Commentators V's Statistics

Commentators V's Statistics

Just watched Rnd 20 2010 on Fox footy under the guise ' Superstar month Dan Hannebery' and came to the conclusion that I don't see the same things on the field as do the stats people.

The commentators called Kieren Jack's name so many times that he seemed to be everywhere on the field, while I hardly noticed Dan (except for 2 very poor turnovers).
    At the conclusion of the game the commentators said Dan had high 30 something disposals (why didn't I see that?). Seems I have a lot to learn.

Senior Player
    Considering it was only Dan's second year in the AFL 30 posessions is pretty damn good

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Considering it was only Dan's second year in the AFL 30 posessions is pretty damn good
    I agree, but my question was to myself. Why didn't I see that. Did the commentators call colour my view of the game?

I suppose it depends on the possesions themselves. For instance, say Keiran Jack gets a possesion then handballs to a stationary Hannebery who then quickly gives it back to Jack as he runs past to kick it long into the forward line. Obviously in this case Jack would be the main highlight but Hannebery still gets a possession. Sometime the action happens so fast that not every disposal can be called. Also, a lot of the real tight contested possesions at the bottom of packs are quite difficult to call as well.
    I See It But I Don't Believe It!!!!