Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players names on jumpers

Players names on jumpers

In season 2014 the AFL deemed fit to have the players names on the back of their jumpers.
    What is your take on this? Could have been a problem for some, like LRT, and just recently the new Sam Powell-Pepper.
    If I remember correctly it was only for the one season.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think they did it just for one match.

I hope they dropped it for sensible reasons (ie players too far away for crowd/tv to read) rather than a BS "tradition" reason.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think they did it just for one match.
    Yep, it was just one game. I'm pretty sure LRT was recalled for that game simply because his was the only name the league saw fit to abbreviate and instead of his surname, he simply had LRT on the back of his gurnesey

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I hope they dropped it for sensible reasons (ie players too far away for crowd/tv to read) rather than a BS "tradition" reason.
    No need to have the American BS names on the jumpers. Numbers are sufficient, surely. A decent supporter would know each player without even a number.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Why is it BS to have names on jumpers? Seems a reasonable thing to me. Clubs may prefer to have the space used to produce revenue, but that's the only possible argument against the suggestion.
    And American BS?? Ever looked at 50 and 20 over cricket, internationally btw, and not an American team in sight.
    As far as tradition is concerned..home teams used to wear black shorts and away teams white..only two reserves and once used they stayed on etc etc ...every game used to be sat arvo...no night games..one captain per team...etc etc...

Soccer players have names on their backs too. A most un-american sport.

The traditionalists in AFL give me the @@@@s. Move on, you are holding the game back.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    As far as tradition is concerned..home teams used to wear black shorts and away teams white..only two reserves and once used they stayed on etc etc ...every game used to be sat arvo...no night games..one captain per team...etc etc...
    and Sydney was South Melbourne.

I like the idea of names on the jumpers.

Helps new fans watching the game to know who is who (on TV at least - which is all the AFL really cares about these days anyway)
    Also allows them to understand who commentators are talking about etc.
    Just because America does it doesn't make it a bad idea.

Also, I don't see why it's an issue anyway. Are we really too traditionally precious not to allow a few letters on the back of a jumper?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List
    As somewhat of an "outsider", I think it is a no-brainer.

The pluses are that if you have someone new to the game, it may help them identify with the players more because they would better know who each guy is. As well, jumpers with names on the back could be a great source of revenue for AFL teams as you can charge more than a jumper with no name. I really do not see a downside with names.

At least the commentators might then get the player's names correct

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    No need to have the American BS names on the jumpers. Numbers are sufficient, surely. A decent supporter would know each player without even a number.
    Fully agree.
    Would laugh if I saw - 23 - Franklin.
    Newbies might ask "what number is Buddy?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast