Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEAFL Captain

I don't see how McVeigh could possibly go from being co-captain of the Seniors to the NEAFL captain. I know there are some on here who have little regard for JM, but there aren't many players who have been able to play in defence, midfield and attack. Granted JM has gone missing on occasion, but what player hasn't?

Alex Johnson should be captain until he makes the senior side. He's already been an assistant coach of ressies.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Alex Johnson should be captain until he makes the senior side. He's already been an assistant coach of ressies.
    If it looks like AJ can come back & play reserves - he would be a great captain - an inspiration to our youngsters.
    If, however, it is thought that he is a serious contender for the seniors - no way captain of the reserves.
    His focus would solely be on his future in the senior team.

Regular in the Side
    I think Melican would be a chance if he is fit to play. 3rd year rookie so will not play AFL unless elevated (unlikely). Marsh was a rookie last year and captain.

Using a criteria for captain as:
    • a second or third year player at any level
    • shows leadership qualities
    • likely to be a regular senior player in the future, but not in 2017
    • development would benefit from captaincy

the candidates that I come up with are Colin O'Riordan and Jordan Dawson.

Foote would be my choice if he's not going to play much senior footy this year. I think he will be vying for a spot in the seniors, but it's hard to say how many games he will play at senior level.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hmmm, tricky. You need someone with senior experience who is unlikely to get a senior game.

Mc Something ?
    I have been a strong Macca supporter for years, even when he was crap, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he ended up as NEAFL captain at some point.
    It would mean a younger player has stepped up and forced out a quality footballer. Macca, going on last year, is not quick enough across the ground but in traffic can make others look slow.
    Being named NEAFL captain is almost a kiss of death. It would signal that the selectors think you will be playing a lot of reserve games wouldn't it?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Using a criteria for captain as:
    • a second or third year player at any level
    • shows leadership qualities
    • likely to be a regular senior player in the future, but not in 2017
    • development would benefit from captaincy

the candidates that I come up with are Colin O'Riordan and Jordan Dawson.

Foote would be my choice if he's not going to play much senior footy this year. I think he will be vying for a spot in the seniors, but it's hard to say how many games he will play at senior level.
    Foote would be my choice, too. He seems to be a bit if a demon on the training track. He's hard at the ball, possibly the best tackler in the NEAFL and would probably lead by example. And given the current strength of our midfield, barring injuries, I can't really see him playing that many senior games this year.
    As an added bonus, if any of the younger players are slacking off, then it's easy to imagine Foote delivering a boot up the backside.

Foote will certainly have as good a chance as anyone to make the snr 22 in my opinion

Run with role for sure

I don't think he will be made captain

I think swampy or Melican will get the role in the NEAFL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12