Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your interactions with Swans in public

Heath James. One of the nicest guys going around. Despite his horrific injury run, when I met him I was on crutches & spent a good 10 minutes with Heath asking what happened & giving me advice.

When I was young Craig Holden chatted before a game & asked at length about my schooling.

Wazza- He's just funny. Also when I was young (& he was with the Bears) he came up to me in a shop & asked (in his fast, high pinched voice "G'day! Do you want my autograph?"

Terry Daniher - after the 2016 granny (when I was feeling pretty low) I met him & thanked him for his time at South. He replied that it was only for a few minutes. I told him they were an important few minute to me. His face lit up and he thanked me.

Reuben Cooper (1 game in 1969) we talked Swans footy for ages. He very cheekily said Bob Stilton stopped him getting more games as Reuben was a rover at the same time. His lovely wife admonished me, telling me I gave him a big head when I asked him to sign something for me

Bob Skilton. He's just so generous and humble.

Kirby - humble and always takes time ... he would have been worthy of the number 14.

So many memorable meetings. Too many to list but all so enjoyable. I love this club!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Jason?
    Absolutely! Senior's moment, Liz. Jason Ball made a real effort to meet that supporter and chat to us.

Don't bother with fanboying so much, and had few random meetings in public, but...

Went to a family day a loooong time ago and made a point of hitting up BBBBH for a photo. Asked him to grab me by the fist around my collar which he was a bit bemused at but happily complied.

Went to a family day a few years ago in Sth Melb and pretty much all the players were there.
    Took a couple of kids who ran around for scribbles on their jumpers.
    Everyone was really friendly.
    Remember chatting to one of the new players at the time, who was wrapt that someone bothered with him. Can't recall who it was though.
    Only other stand out from that day was Malcheski was pretty grumpy and rude. You could tell it was the last place he wanted to be.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Heartwarming stuff! Especially good posts from grarmy and goswannies. It's good to hear the positive and less positive accounts.

I remember, around 2000, I used to walk to work through Centennial park very early in the morning and see Plugger jogging slow laps there quite often. Also during his comeback effort. Never attempted to speak to him.

Maybe I will feel easier about approaching a player or ex-player next time I see one.

Bobby Skilton - lovely guy who loves the club. It's hard to get much time alone with him as everyone wants to talk to him.
    Peter Bedford - very down to earth. He'll spend time chatting with anyone. He loves the club and also South Melbourne the area. He does a heap of voluntary work for junior footy, and I suspect sport in general, in the area. I get the impression that in his younger days he would have lovely a durry and a frothy or two.
    I've also met many other such as Horse, Jude, Macca, et al. and never had a negative experience.

Senior Player
    On GF day last year, the mate I was with in standing room got a text just before half time from his brother-in-law saying to come meet him at half time and the same place we'd run into him before the game because he'd managed to wrangle some seats for us. We rocked up in our Swans gear and his mate Dean Cox gave us his seats - up on the wing and the best seats I've ever had at the footy. Cox and Adam Selwood - who was also there - joked with us about it feeling wrong to give tickets to Swans fans after 2005, though 2006 kinda made up for it. Really nice dudes and Cox especially kept getting hit up for photos and quick chats, which he was more than happy to oblige. People were probably too scared to approach Selwood because it's impossible to tell those three apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12