Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNR / NEAFL 2017....your BOLTER and under pressure !!!!

SNR / NEAFL 2017....your BOLTER and under pressure !!!!

ok so just went thru the list again and I'm loving our balance this year...........with the additions of some awesome young talent from the drafts and ready to compete older recruits

IN:

Florent - sade' lol.......smooth operator.......and who knows re first year given our youth already in the 22 but he is here to stay !
    Hayward - i suspect needs a year or two in NEAFL to fill out for his role but he is a live wire and a bit of a gary rohan
    Maibaum - a serious intensity and owns his role.... has the speed to potentially grab an AJ role in his first year........big call but i like
    Cameron - smart addition for our depth behind Sinclair, Nanny and Tippo

Edwards - we will be able to better gauge from the NAB series but looking forward to watching him train and bring what we need on the outside and transition
    Fox - could seriously flourish and half way thru 2017 find himself on the bench in Snrs.......smooth hands but his tackle numbers are through the roof !
    Fisher - great depth for the HFFs
    Ronke - does have that zing and sting factor.......needs to build skills
    Pink - lets see -- rugged !

OUT:
    Davis
    BigD
    Galloway
    Hiscox
    McGlynn
    Mitchell
    Nanko
    Ted
    X

BOLTER 1. : Edwards.......to have a genuine outside player like Shaun Edwards join gives us an opportunity to be a little more flexible on our transitions. I realise many will have their doubts given his 20 or so games in 5 seasons but we need to be much more flexible in our backline transitions to beat GWS and the DOGS.........We had Lloyd go in to help fix our run in the back end of the season but it wasn't genuine run and carry like the Dogs and GWS have in spades.

BOLTER 2. Foote - i think he has shown he is ready for a midfield rotation unless Mills or Hewett jump ahead for this role and or Laids or Newman push into the backs and Jones, Mills, Hewett find a lot more midfield time........my other comment is that Foote given 15 games in Snrs could be more then Towers......

UNDER PRESSURE: Macca, Laids, Hewett, Tip, Reid.............but as a general comment anyone in the ressies from our backline could step in and do a job ! best reserves backline we have had in years.........and GWS and the Dogs showed how smaller backlines can counter and hurt you.......Laids for me won't start......Rampe, AA and Reg are our talls

SNRS:

Paps, Reid, Rohan
    Kizza, Bud, Hewett

Naismith
    Kennedy (C)
    Parker
    Hannes
    Heeney
    Lloyd

Smithy, AA, Mills
    Rampe, Grundy, Jones

19. Macca
    20. Tip
    21. Foote
    22. Edwards

NEAFL:

Hayward, Cameron, Rose
    Leonardis, Dawson, Florent

Sinclair
    Towers
    Robbo
    Cunningham
    Fox
    BJack

Marsh, Maibaum, Oriordan
    Newman, Talia, Laids

19. Murray
    20. Fisher
    21. Ronke
    22. Pink
    23. Melican
    24. AJ
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 17th January 2017 at 09:03 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    I think your Bolters are spot on - Edwards in a better team could be a very good contributor, Foote will be great with another year, I'd expect continued improvement from Marsh as well.
    The Under Pressure List: Gary Rohan, freakish but needs to be consistent, Macca - for me he maybe about to have a similar year to ROK based on the other top sides dominating on foot speed.
    Kizza is the other I think may feel some pressure this year - I don't rate him as highly as some and he gets away with it based on the talent playing around him.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Don't see Tippett being under pressure. Was in our top 3 players till his mid season injury. @@@@house grand final but not under pressure.
    Macca would be under pressure and maybe Rohan if some of these young guns lift.

Veterans List
    I know Ludwig loves Hewett but I am still not sure on him. Disappears for large parts of a game and just doesn't seem to do enough.He needs to improve quite a bit to hold his spot.

Warming the Bench
    I think Macca is in his last year regardless so wouldn't really classify him as under pressure. I think Rohan definitely, although he just signed the new contract I think we all want to see him become the player we think he can be!

I know Jones has had a couple of decent years but I think this year he will reach another level. The way he came in during the finals series last year with such class, I would love him to stay injury free and dominate season 2017! I'm also hopeful for Edwards but am not holding my breath.

Bring on the footy! I've had enough cricket to last me the year

I expect Newman and perhaps Talia to be part of the senior regulars this year, so I suppose, at least in the case of Newman, to be a bolter.

I think the Jordans, Foote and Dawson, will be challenging for senior selection. Colin O'Riordan is another that might get a shot at senior level, especially if the new CBA allows rookies to play senior footy.

There will be a lot of players under pressure this year as the competition for the few available senior spots should be torrid. Macca's persistent calf problems over the past couple of years have taken a toll on his game, but if he can get past the injury issues he could have a rebound year, as 32 is not that old these days in the AFL, especially if you've got the kind of fitness base that Macca has. But agree with others that his spot is by no means guaranteed.

Laidler is being pushed down the pecking order and will struggle to get a game. I like him as a depth player nonetheless.

Sinclair could drop to 4th ruckman with both Naismith and Cameron moving past him. Handy replacement for his mentor, Tom Derickx.

Could be a do or die year for out of contract Brandon Jack, and Dan Robinson will need a very strong comeback to push his way into the selection window, given the plethora of new talent at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I know Ludwig loves Hewett but I am still not sure on him. Disappears for large parts of a game and just doesn't seem to do enough.He needs to improve quite a bit to hold his spot.
    I expect Hewett to follow a similar type of development as Jake Lloyd, who after his 3rd season as a senior regular edged out Tom Mitchell in the B & F. Hewett has one of the best skill sets at the club and reads the game very well. He is best suited for a midfield role and should find himself as a regular part of the rotation in due course. He goes out of the game when he takes a rest on the bench. Could be a top 10 B&G by 2018.

Veterans List
    Ludwig, are you mates with Hewett's family? He doesn't have the tank of Lloyd to float around the ground. They all go out of the game when they rest on the bench. Talk about stating the obvious. No point having a good skill set if you can't get the footy and when you do play for a free. He has to be a far more positive footballer and dispose of the footy quicker when under pressure. And another thing...he is slower than a wet week in Chiang Rai.

25 goals and 84 tackles playing as a 20yo defensive forward is not a bad start. He had a comparable year to Zak Jones. although they have very different styles of play. He's a very consistent player that doesn't make many mistakes. He spots the open man and hits targets. Only time will tell if he can continue to make progress, but history would suggest that he's got plenty of development left in him. Hewett is not slow, but rather medium paced and has good evasive moves. He will build his endurance levels with time, but I didn't see him struggling with this during the season, albeit playing a position that didn't require that much running. I would say that the coaching staff agrees with me as we had other options to play that position, but consistently went with Hewett.

Nico, I don't know what you expected of him in his first senior year. Perhaps replace JPK in the midfield?

I think we've just about reached the practical maximum of elite players, and I am including both Heeney and Mills in that group. Any more and it's hard to keep them due to the salary cap. What makes the team a success is that next level of player, like Jake Lloyd, to put in solid consistent performances. Hewett will be one of those players.

Goes up to 11
    Just mind boggling that anyone would consider Hewett under pressure in this context. Of course all players are under pressure but this sort of conversation is about those with a healthy level of senior experience who may struggle to retain their place in the team. A very very promising player coming in to the year following his debut, who is building his fitness, strength and AFL experience, does not remotely fall into this category.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Don't see Tippett being under pressure. Was in our top 3 players till his mid season injury..
    Love to see evidence of that. By mid year our top 3 would have to have been Kennedy, Hannebery, Franklin/Grundy/Rampe. Of those, who was Tippett out performing? Who?

I'm not sure if Sam Reid can be classed as a bolter, but he seems to be super fit at the moment and has added a fair bit of upper body strength. So if he can maintain that fitness, he should be in for a big year and will make an already very dangerous forward line even more dangerous.
    Also, I'll back up Ludwig, in regards to O'Riordan. It only took him a few rounds to start playing some quality football in the NEAFL, in which, he showed kicking skills, tackling skills and a hard at it attitude. So, with a bit more natural improvement, he should earn his AFL debut. And I do think that it's about time that we had another classy Irishman in our side.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Love to see evidence of that. By mid year our top 3 would have to have been Kennedy, Hannebery, Franklin/Grundy/Rampe. Of those, who was Tippett out performing? Who?
    Troy Luff Medal count.

Also commentators were saying he was in the top ruck men in the comp at this point as well. I'm not a huge Tippett advocate but his mid season form till injury was hard to deny.

Still he and Sam Reid are the most overpaid players on our list imo, but he's hardly struggling for a spot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast