Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AFLW

Last edited by aardvark; 21st April 2017 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for link aardvark, good story. Go girls!

Here's an interesting vid. The first ever AFL womens game in Asia.

LiveStreaming: WOMEN'S MATCH | 2016 AFL Asian Championships - YouTube

Anyone recognize the boundary ump? Bradley Seymour esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I feel sorry for netball who has the very best players from around the globe playing in Super Netball which has struggled to gain press against a comp where the skills are poor with many of the players only taking it up recently. I genuinely enjoyed the AFLW season but it was first and foremost a victory for the AFL PR and Advertising machine.
    The first time I read this comment I didn't have any idea what you were talking about and didn't much care. However, the other day I caught a glimpse of the netball on TV and it was amazing. Those athletes really do have sensational skills and athleticism (I would have to say better than AFLW - at this stage and on average) and, yet, like you, I can certainly seeing it lose out to AFLW. Then again maybe a win for women's sport is a win for women's sport in general? I don't know. Have the netball people spoken out about this?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The first time I read this comment I didn't have any idea what you were talking about and didn't much care. However, the other day I caught a glimpse of the netball on TV and it was amazing. Those athletes really do have sensational skills and athleticism (I would have to say better than AFLW - at this stage and on average) and, yet, like you, I can certainly seeing it lose out to AFLW. Then again maybe a win for women's sport is a win for women's sport in general? I don't know. Have the netball people spoken out about this?
    Perhaps we could borrow their time - or better, pay for it - to teach our blokes how to land on their feet after a jump.

The advantage of netball (and basketball) over AFL is its "made for television" court size. The games certainly are great watching. I wonder how high are their ratings.

The other question is whether the AFL will charge for entry and how it will affect the crowds if they do.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

12,500 new female players in 500 new teams in Victoria this year. Auskick up 20%. The revolution is here.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    12,500 new female players in 500 new teams in Victoria this year. Auskick up 20%. The revolution is here.
    Truly remarkable numbers.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I spoke to a very senior netball person a few weeks ago and she didn't seem concerned. Her opinion was that the general increase of the women's sports pie was bigger than the threat, and she was a bit dismissive of the AFLW to be honest.

I can see the bigger pie argument but I'd dismiss AFLW as a direct competitor at their peril if I was Netball, Women's AFL is really a new entrant into the female sports landscape. Sure they will bring new participants in but I think they will naturally poach female athletes that previously would have chosen netball and I think that commercially they have already been beaten. Not to mention the current Boardroom Shenanigans at Netball Australia

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The other question is whether the AFL will charge for entry and how it will affect the crowds if they do.
    I think it will be free for at least another season,

I'd like to see a notional entry fee, say $5 for adults or $10 for a family, with all proceeds going directly into grassroots womens AFL programmes

AFL Women's set for expansion in 2019 - AFL.com.au

All the other 10 teams can apply for 2019 with preference given to the 5 clubs with provisional licenses.
    I'm not holding my breath but I hope the Swans have their problems sorted in time to submit. I'm really looking forward to a Swans AFLW team to support.

Vic Country vs Vic Metro - NAB AFL Women�s Under 18 Championships - YouTube

Vic Metro V Vic Country U/18s 2.30pm Saturday 27/5. If your concerned about the standard of Womens footy check out the next generation.

It will be interesting to see where the AFLW lands.

Personally I hope they just don't do a copy and paste of the AFL.

I think it works having a high intensity comp with it's own space. Id you try and run it concurrently with the AFL it will just get swallowed up.

For mine, you'd have a team for each AFL team eventually plus a team from Tassie and Canberra. Two Conferences with 10 game regular season (one team once plus a local derby). Playoffs and Conference Champions that then play-off for the titles.

Makes in a three month season, play it from Feb to April which then allows the elite players to join their community clubs for the back end of their normal seasons.

NSW/ACT U/18 Girls have 3 big games this week all streamed live....Check out Alyce Parker, this girl can play!

Youth Girls in for a big week on the Gold Coast

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast