Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: AFLW

It's pretty quiet here.

Two things:

1. I thought the standard of the AFLW improved a lot this year in the little I saw. So, although the increase in teams will dilute the talent it will be offset by a very fast growing talent pool.

2. I vaguely seem to recall that the Swans aren't planning on joining the comp until 2022?

Bring on the Swans AFLW team - can't wait to support them and watch them play like girls!

Hello women's footy fans!

All of you out there may be interested in this brief article about the award of Life Membership to the Sydney AFL at this year's Phelan and Mostyn medal awards to a bunch of Sydney Swans members who pioneered the Sydney Women's AFL competition: Pioneers delivered Life Membership - sydneyswans.com.au. For the record, well done to Amanda Farrugia won the Mostyn medal for being the best player (while simulataneously being the GWS captain).

When are we going to join the AFLW? Could it be as soon as a year from now? In this (quite dated) article Swans reaffirm desire for women's footy - sydneyswans.com.au Andrew Ireland is quoted as saying:

“We’ve written to the AFL to say that our facilities and a ground in the eastern suburbs won’t be ready for 2019, but we do want to apply for a licence, and we’re hopeful we will be in a place to do that from 2020 – we think that we can achieve our new facilities and ground in that timeframe,” Ireland said.

It seems we are on track with the facilities and the ground but clearly we are not joining the upcoming season but I have the vague impression that we (and our Academy graduates) won't be ready in a year either. Does anyone know? Meg?

Incidentally, I reckon the AFLW is really underfunded! This article Landslide 'yes' vote ensures 2020 AFLW season will go ahead shows that this year each AFLW club's TPP is less than half a million p.a. - this is not even 4% of the TPP for men and not that much more than the average salary for a single male player (which is about $380K). Sure the AFLW's season is shorter, the crowds are smaller etc etc but it is growing fast and, more to the point, we (and surely this includes the AFL??) want it to keep growing fast.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    When are we going to join the AFLW? Could it be as soon as a year from now? In this (quite dated) article Swans reaffirm desire for women's footy - sydneyswans.com.au Andrew Ireland is quoted as saying:

“We’ve written to the AFL to say that our facilities and a ground in the eastern suburbs won’t be ready for 2019, but we do want to apply for a licence, and we’re hopeful we will be in a place to do that from 2020 – we think that we can achieve our new facilities and ground in that timeframe,” Ireland said.

It seems we are on track with the facilities and the ground but clearly we are not joining the upcoming season but I have the vague impression that we (and our Academy graduates) won't be ready in a year either. Does anyone know? Meg?
    I'm sure I read somewhere that we are aiming for 2021. Our new facilities will be completed by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that we are aiming for 2021. Our new facilities will be completed by then.
    Well it's great to know that someone else is out here!

2021 sounds about right. But does that mean in one year or two? One, right? I think the facilities will be ready for next season.

Veterans List
    Well it's great to know that someone else is out here!

2021 sounds about right. But does that mean in one year or two? One, right? I think the facilities will be ready for next season.
    From what I recall the facilities are supposed to be ready sometime next year (2020) but too late for the start of the AFLW season so that's why we are aiming for the 2021 season.

Update: I've today learned from Tom Harley that we are not going to join the AFLW until at least 2023. Tom Harley said he doesn't think the AFL will expand the AFLW competition again until the next broadcast deal.

Veterans List
    Update: I've today learned from Tom Harley that we are not going to join the AFLW until at least 2023. Tom Harley said he doesn't think the AFL will expand the AFLW competition again until the next broadcast deal.
    Hmm that's interesting considering they have expanded the competition 2 years in a row. However, I think having a 3 year gap is a good thing because I don't think there is currently the talent out there to support 18 teams.

Yes, Mel_C, your logic is sound. Harley also said something like while the AFLW seems to be going well on the surface, it has a lot of issues and they reared their head during the recent CBA negotiation. However, from my point of view, it's very disappointing because I'm really impatient to have an AFLW team to start cheering for and I told him so. I also expressed concern that we would miss out on the first crop of graduates from our Academy and he said no, even by 2023 they'll still only be 17 and a year from graduating.

Veterans List
    Yes I'm also looking forward to having a team to support .

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast